Should I be eating the calories I have burnt off???

Options
So my calorie goal per a day is 1200, I stick to this most days if not I only go over a little bit. I do Turbo Fire for work outs and can burn up-to 1184 calories per a class when doing class 55ez. Now should I eat these calories back to help me loose weight? My real question is, that recently I have lost 12lbs and a total 6inches all over but haven't lost any more pounds in the last week and a bit... is this due to my calories?

Replies

• brutalbaby
    brutalbaby Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    By the way I am 23 years old, if that helps lol
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You will see a lot of mixed answers on these forums, but my best advice I can give is to start with eating back half of your calories burned and see how that impacts your weight loss.
  • crafterpaula
    crafterpaula Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    depending on how high the burn is , for example 1100 I wouldn't eat all of those calories back but i would eat at least 1/2 back because with that kind of exersize you need to eat more than 1200 or your bodies going to think it is in starvation mode so eat 1/2 to 3/4 back but I would not eat more than 1800 though ;this is what you should do try next time you exersize try eating 1/2 back and see what happens you might be surprised ! I know I was i eat my calories back and the next day the scale tells me i lost ,not much a oz or so but loving it . hope it helps you !:bigsmile:
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    Half is usually good.
    But got to goals on here and set it to maintain just so you can see how many calories it would take to stay at your current weight and just make sure to always stay under that. :ohwell:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You should always eat exercise calories back as you are already on a caloric deficit. A small to moderate deficit is more likely to stop a plateau and sustain weight-loss.(it may also keep muscle loss at a minimum)

Although, I'd like to mention I highly doubt you are burning that many calories. That doesn't seem accurate to me.
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what works for me, and that
    is that I do eat back my calories. Clean calories!
    It's real important for you to find out your BMR so
    you know how many calories you need to eat everyday.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I eat back half mine normally. I think I'd have a hard time eating as much as you're burning off. Sometimes I eat all of them and then some. MFP already has us set at a deficient even without exercise.

I am not familiar with that program but do you wear an HRM? It seems like you're burning an extremely high amount of calories if you're only doing 1 hour sessions. I would get an HRM to be sure that you're burning what you think you are. That way you can know you're not over-eating.

If I go for a long run and burn 650 calories plus chances are I won't eat all mine back. On a day where I do a shorter run and only burn 200 calories I may not eat them back at all. It honestly depends. But for you I would def eat more because you're burning a lot of calories and need the extra fuel
  • brutalbaby
    Options
    Ok guys thanks for that, I will eat half back and see how that goes.

Does any one else have other advise?
    Extra info:
    I eat most days in the week healthy, its only on some weekends I will 'over indulge' slightly but even still I NEVER go over 2000 calories!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    You will see MANY different answers to this. Some will say it makes absolutely no sense to eat back what you burn off...like its counter-productive. Others will say absolutely because you must "eat more to weigh less." I agree that you should eat back your exercise calories if you're only eating 1200 to begin with. I don't think anyone should be eating below 1200 calories. It isn't recommended.

Not to mention if you really do burn 1184 calories...you're only netting 16 calories for the day. EAT THEM BACK, for sure.
  • brutalbaby
    Options
    And yes I do have a heart rate monitor. Not entirely sure if its really that accurate though. But turbo fire is a very high cardio program, it uses a lot of HIIT workouts.
  • TrixieMarie
    Options
    I try to stick with the calorie count that is recommended but 1200 is hard, so I only go over if I am legitimately hungry. But I try not to go over by too much. maybe 100-150 max.
  • sleonardbranson
    Options
    I do turbo fire as well....and on the the 55 easy, I burn about 600 calories....On the other turbo fire dvd's my calorie range is between 400 - 600 calories...maybe check your HRM.....Your calorie burn seems very high....It takes me two hours to burn that many calories and that would include a turbo fire workout, treadmill 2 miles, elliptical 2 miles, and weights......just sayin

Just ordered Les mills Pump...says it does burn 1000 calories in an hour...I hope so:)
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    BMR is not something you wear. It's your
    Basel metabolic rate. It's how much you burn
    from just sitting sleeping breathing and bodily
    functions. There's BMR calculaters all over
    the internet. You just plug in your numbers and
    it tells you exactly how many calories you need
    everyday.
  • socdocme
    Options
    Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, therefore relying on the scale to tell you how much fat you are losing as you gain muscle won't give you an accurate reading. In all likelihood you are losing more fat weight and gaining more muscle weight than can be measured by a simple scale. Still good reason to be happy and motivated! :-)
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    1100 calories for 55EZ is very high, inaccurately high. My average for that program was 354/session (~120 pounds when I did it). I can see someone burning double if they still have weight to lose or don't have a great fitness level, but 3x that seems grossly inaccurate.

I would say eat 1/2 back.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    1200 is the minimum, and if you're burning off that much at once, why wouldn't you eat at least some back? Just kind of common sense, no?
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    Dont force yourself to eat back calories if your are not hungry. The majority of the time, calorie burn estimations are very innacurate. IMO, people should not log calories burned by exercise and should just eat at maintinance on exercise days
  • ericsperling
    Options
    My calorie deficit is 500 cal/day and I usually burn 200 cal/day with exercise (walking). I eat all of my exercise calories back and have been losing 1 lb every 9 days. I've lost 57 lbs in nine months. I'm a male age 44 and live a sedentary lifestyle with a desk job.

Important!!! You need to eat before you exercise. The body needs fuel to ignite the fat burning process.
  • Jelleebean
    Jelleebean Posts: 212
    Options
    i saw this example used a while back, and it made perfect sense...

you fill your gas tank in your car.. you drive til it's almost empty... will you be able to drive the same distance wtihout refueling?
    no, you need to refuel, or else you'll break the engine down.

if you get a crazy burn in your workout.. eat'em back, you earned it... mfp already factors in a deficit for the day/week. if you're hesitant, eat back about 75%... just choose wisely.