staring to "diet" - coping with hunger and cravings

Options

Replies

• rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    I found that I could snack on fruit if I crave something sweet - raisins, watermelon, grapes and such - and have significantly reduced the amount of sweets I eat. It takes time to train your body to be satisfied with change, stick with it.

Also, eat high protein foods that fill you up, like almonds, and eat several times a day. You don't want to be hungry. Everything falls apart for me when I get hungry, that's when I have no control. I probably eat 5 times a day, just small amounts, like a couple of forkfuls of tuna or a hard boiled egg.

Starting out is hard, but it will get easier - good luck!!
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as a diet, a diet implies you intend to stop eating this way someday. Its a life style change. That said, you don't have to cut out things you like 100%. Do I still have the sweets I like? Yes, I log it and make sure it fits into my daily calorie intake and its every once in a while not all the time. If there are some foods that you know you absolutely can't control yourself around then eliminate those from your diet (and home) either permanently or temporarily until you can build up some willpower.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, then eat.

Log what you eat to see how it plays with in your calories and then you an adjust from there.

Exactly. It's possible you are not netting enough calories.

For me, it was all mental. The first week or so I just started tracking what I ate without making changes. Then, I just gradually adjusted my intake.
  • kie_kie
    kie_kie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The same exact thing use to happen to me and I end up not sticking to the diet because I feel so deprived.

After starting myfitnesspal I realized I don't need to diet, all I need to do is eat healthy and in small portions.
    If I feel like having an ice cream I do! lol I dont deprive myself. Its not like I eat ice cream everyday.

When I feel for something I go for it but I eat small portions so it doesn't hurt my progress. And I have lost 9 pounds since doing this.... I don't exercise everyday either I try to do it at least 5 days a week but when I only do 4 I don't beat myself up about it

So my advice is not to diet but to eat healthy because after you finish dieting your probably gonna go back to old eating habits and gain back the weight so start eating healthy and make that your life style:)
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth and sugar problem. I've noticed that when I cut sugar...I crave pasta and when I cut breads and pastas....I want alcohol. It is a terrible cycle. You need to learn the difference between your body "craving" because it needs something (like an earlier poster said, try and figure out what is natural that your body could be craving) or because you aren't eating enough and your body "craving" because it wants to eat...or because you want sugar.

Some of the things I've done......putting lemon in water (adds a hint of sweet and makes it easier to get that water down). Chewing dessert flavored sugar free gum. Adding more fruits to your day. Adding more protein and fiber to your day (90 calorie protein bars--some people are against them....I personally love them, peanut butter and a slice of bread or some crackers in the afternoon, ect). I keep protein bars in my purse and in my desk. I also have a stash of Snackwell's white chocolate drizzeld caramel popcorn (130 calories) for day when I think I need something sweet. Sometimes....if I had my sweet treat and I'm still craving, I go and brush my teeth...not many people like eating sweets after brushing your teeth. I also like to do the opposite of what my cravings tell me...I love pickles and the brand I get is about 10-12 calories per pickle. So when I'm craving sweets...I grab a pickle and that sharp, sour taste cuts right through it and calms the hunger. Sodium for the day gets screwed....but it helps stay under calories more than an ice cream bar would. Popcorn is good. Flavored waters sometimes give you the sweet flavor without the calories.
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I've been doing this for 4 weeks and I felt I had quite the learning curve the first couple of weeks. I am not diabetic, but I felt a little low a couple of times. One tablespoon of peanut butter is good for the "lows" too, but nw my main strategy is to have a little protein with each meal and to space my food out so that I'm having a little something every 3 hours or so.

Staying well-hydrated is also effective for me to curb a craving. I made about a gallon of home-made iced tea and I add a little lemon juice and some stevia powder then top each serving with ice and enjoy. It's sooo goooood! I make it decaf, too, so that I can have it anytime.

Once your eating patterns change and your blood sugar levels become more level, those unreasonable cravings for sweet things will be satisfied by a slice of melon or an orange rather than by unhealthy things. Since I don't have the greatest amount of willpower ever, I also cleaned up my environment. Out went the stuff that should not have been here in the first place. In came fresh fruits and veggies, lean chicken, beans, nonfat dairy, etc.

You deserve a healthier and happier you! You can do it one day at a time! :wink:
  • crafterpaula
    crafterpaula Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    eat air pop corn and if you eat it with out salt its even better and drink a tall glass of waater ith it it will fill you up!
  • shezzamess
    Options
    I learned a long time ago that if I ate anything with artificial sweetners in it, my cravings for sweets got worse! My advice would be to eat lots of protein and sip sip sip water all through out the day. It usually took about 3 days to conquer and I know that sounds like a long time to have to deal with cravings! But I also think it is more managable when there is an end in sight.

I lost 116 pounds about 5 years ago and this is the method I used to curb my cravings for sweet things. I cut out all sugar free products and things went smoothly from there!

Hope this helps you like it did for me.
  • flowersofdawn
    flowersofdawn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    eat air pop corn and if you eat it with out salt its even better and drink a tall glass of waater ith it it will fill you up!

This is exactly the snack I ate when I first lost 60 lbs. It's yummy and now there are lower calorie sweet Kettle corn options out there - think mini-bags!
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    I actually find it helps to prevent cravings if I eat more during the day. Have a nice sized breakfast, snacks throughout the day, a good lunch -- and things that are high in fiber I find prevent a lot of my cravings. However, my sweet tooth is sometimes unbearable. My doctor recently put me on chromium picolinate, you can get it over the counter, any vitamin store will have it. It helps with the really bad late night cravings. Not only with sweets, but cravings in general, but particularly those related to carbs and sweets. If you have any form of insulin resistance, chromium picolinate is especially helpful. I usually take it after dinner. It's good to ask your doctor before trying anything new, but I'm sure they'll be okay with it.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Hot tea or hot liquid works WONDERS!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Best things I've found are upping my protein. And to get my chocolate fix I get Luna Protein bars or the Zone Protein Bars. Also, Chobani Greek Yogurts have 14g of protein and some awesome flavors!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Cravings is the body telling you that it needs something that it's missing. When you get a craving, figure out what an equivalent is in nature. Craving anything sweet? Try some strawberries or another sweet fruit. Craving something salty? Try some raw spinach or other leafy green. Once your body figures out what nutrients it gets from these cravings, your craving will morph to be more health conscious naturally.

For hunger between meals, have more protein in your meal or eat some peanuts as a snack between meals.

Remember that diets fail and that successfully losing weight is a lifestyle change of what we eat daily.

Not necessarily. Cravings can also be a sign of addiction. Not everything we crave is good for our body. An allergist told me cravings occur when we are attracted to foods that cause allergic reactions in us.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you're hungry, you aren't eating enough. Are you drinking enough water? you should drink about half of your body weight in ounces of water; even more if you're exercising and sweating a lot. Are you eating enough protein? Protein, fiber and healthy fats help you feel full longer. Are you eating simple carbs and processed foods? These foods don't have much nutritional value, and your body doesn't have to work very hard to break them down, thus making your hungry again soon after you've eaten them. Sticking to whole foods: lean meats, healthy fats, fresh fruits and veggies and complex carbs, gives you more bang for your buck and will help ensure your success in this weight loss journey. Good luck!
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I believe in this....eat at maintenance and move more to get your deficit. I don't believe in starving myself at all.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    It's been 3 months of logging, and I rarely feel hungry anymore, so I want you to know that it does get better.
    I would have forgotten the craving and hunger pangs if it were not for my earlier blogs.
    My suggestion it to reduce gradual, start at losing .5 pounds a week, then move it up as it gets easier.
    If you don't want to do that then exercise lots and eat those calories, which is what I did. I exercised to eat more.

Other things I changed. At first I thought that eating a large breakfast would keep me fuller all day. Not true for me. I am the most hungry around 3 pm. So I eat a small breakfast, sometimes just a boiled egg. And I leave my calories for when I am most hungry. It is better to listen to your body then follow the rules that we hear about. You want to find out what works for you.

When I am hungry, and I feel that I shouldn't be, I start with drinking water, or tea or coffee. If that doesn't cure it, I will eat some fruit or veg. I give myself time between a craving and actually eating. Sometimes it is habit that drives our cravings.

And oddly enough I find that exercise decreased my appetite. Go for a walk, when you get back drink something, and wait to see if you are still hungry.

This is a learning experience. Listen to your body, try new things. You will do great here, it works.
  • ronaldmcyd
    ronaldmcyd Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend cutting out sugar and artificial sugar from everything not fruit, vegetable, or dairy. I only say that because it worked for me. I haven't had more then a few cravings in months among other benefits.
  • Missskippy2012
    Options
    This is the perfect answer!!!!
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When I need to feel full, Miracle Noodles. 0 calories 0 carbs.

There are many non carb low carb cookies on the internet.

Drink water, Nuts a handfull of berries, hint water, stevia for sweetener, drink more water.
    Eat smaller meals if you are able, divide up for every 4 hours. Know how healthy you are
    going to be and just how devastating you will look!

Log it online.....
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    melons...watermelon...cantaloupe...mmmmm...low in calories, big in sweet, and quite filling...