Carb Rehab

Options
Ok, so i know my weight struggle is mainly do to my love of Carbs :(
Does anyone have this "love" for carbs, if so how did/do you curve it?
Also, any suggestions on low carb food?
I was very successful on the grapefruit diet a year ago, but the second i reintroduced myself to carbs, i gained it all (plus some) back.

Thanks in advance for your support and help!

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets tend to cause the body to lose a significant amount of water weight (this is NOT fat). So, the re-introduction of carbs back into the diet causes water storage again, thus "re-gaining all the weight".

So long as you achieve proper nutrition, I personally have little against the idea of going low-carb. Diabetics can greatly benefit from such a diet.

If you cannot stick to it, maybe its not the plan for you?
  • 30dayTae
    30dayTae Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY! LOL i just need better food choices. i am no longer dieting, im focused on healthy nutrition plus exercise. Any low carb food choices out there?
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I'm just cutting them out a little at a time. My eating habits before were about 175g a day, then I cut it to 150 easily, now it's a little harder getting under 100 but as long as I pay attention I can do it. Ideally I'd like to get mine under 70g per day, but I am taking baby steps.
  • rose313
    Options
    EXACTLY! LOL i just need better food choices. i am no longer dieting, im focused on healthy nutrition plus exercise. Any low carb food choices out there?

MEAT!!!!!!!

Whole fruits
    Whole vegetables
    Lean meats like chicken and turkey
    Hard-boiled egg
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as far as trying to reduce carbs. I'm still working on finding things I like, so I don't have much to share on that front. I did just find a yummy-tasting chocolate protein powder (Optimum Nutrition- Double Rich Chocolate flavor) to mix with unsweetened almond milk in the morning, and it tastes just like chocolate milk with limited carbs!

Also, I've been doing a lot of reading that says a low Glycemic Index (GI) diet will help you lose more weight in the long-haul and be able to keep it up.

Good luck!
  • 30dayTae
    Options
    Thats a great Idea Rose. When you finish logging for the day, what is your top %. Maybe thats why im so stressed, because everyday carbs are my top % followed by fat (some days) and protein (other days).
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    shirtake noodles and cauliflower 'rice' are good :)

haven't found a low-carb cake substitute yet :(
  • rose313
    Options
    Thats a great Idea Rose. When you finish logging for the day, what is your top %. Maybe thats why im so stressed, because everyday carbs are my top % followed by fat (some days) and protein (other days).

It's 40-50%. Even on the days I don't eat a lot of carbs, not getting enough protein throws it off. My protein is rarely over 20%. I get as much in as possible but I won't stuff myself just to get more.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    So you think that on a low carb diet you do not burn fat?? Not true. You do lose a lot of water weight at first, but then you DO burn fat.

However, if this is not a lifestyle you cannot stick with, don't do it. Low carb is a lifestyle choice, just as low calorie is. You cannot expect to cut calories and then go back to your old way of eating, jsut as you cannot do it on low carb. I myself have had a wonderful experience with low carb. It is a lifestyle choice for me. I have found ways around the carbs I crave. If I want spaghetti, I use a spaghetti squash, if I want bread, I have Paleo bread (low carb) Chocolate? Chocoperfection bars. Fruit? Berries. The list goes on. I do not feel that I restricted. I eat an array of awesome, healthy foods and I feel better than I ever have! However, as I said, if you can't stick with it, don't do it. Everybody has to find what works for them. To each their own...good luck whatever you choose!
    Low carb diets tend to cause the body to lose a significant amount of water weight (this is NOT fat). So, the re-introduction of carbs back into the diet causes water storage again, thus "re-gaining all the weight".

So long as you achieve proper nutrition, I personally have little against the idea of going low-carb. Diabetics can greatly benefit from such a diet.

If you cannot stick to it, maybe its not the plan for you?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't do low carb ... because that isn't a lifestyle change I can live with for the rest of my life. What I do instead is focus on "better for you" carbs. I pick the least processed and closest to it's natural state carbs.

Carb heavy meals have become common place in the U.S. - we think nothing of having a burger & fries. Well, the bun is carbs and the fries are MORE carbs. For me, I keep the burger (on a whole wheat bun) and ditch the fries for a side salad. If I've got one heavy serving of carbs in a meal .... I certainly don't need more.

Reduce the carbs in mashed potatoes by adding cauliflower to the mix

Thin crust pizza (I make my own with whole wheat flour) ... not deep dish

If I really want french fries I will have them, but it's a "special treat" not an everyday thing (this was in April I think)

Potato salad .... I mix in as many "other" veggies as I can (celery, peppers, radishes) .... and serve with grilled chicken (not with a sandwich).
  • 30dayTae
    Options
    Great Advice!
    Im loving all the responses.I will have to try some of theses suggestions!
  • andreashawty100
    Options
    You have to have carbs in your diet.
    The healthy ones. like fruits,veggies, whole grains...
    etc
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I try to lower my carbs daily, but i do have a problem with sweets.
  • jtakingcareofherself
    jtakingcareofherself Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You have to have carbs in your diet.
    The healthy ones. like fruits,veggies, whole grains...
    etc

You don't "have" to have carbs in your diet to survive. The Inuit tribes of Canada survived (and thrived) without any carbs, and on protein and fat alone. But most people cannot live like the Inuit! LOL!

Low carb will get you losing weight faster, but like any other change you need to watch maintenance. But it IS easier to consumer fewer calories when you go low carb, as you get rid of cravings and stabilize you glucose levels.

The best way is to try both methods for one month each and see what you prefer!

Everybody and every body is different!
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love Carbs, however, the way I lower my intake on Carbs is by focusing on other parts of my diet. I focus on Protein. I work on having protein in each of my meals including snacks. Protein helps keep me full and is essential in muscle repair, etc. By upping my protein, I without thinking eat less carbs. I don't worry about the carbs in fruits and vegetables. Also when I do have carbs I try to eat whole grains.. whole grain/brown rice, whole wheat bread, etc.

I have not denied myself carbs, but by focusing on adding Protein and other healthy choices like fruits and vegetables, I don't have to think about that I am reducing carbs, it just happens. Focus on the positive.
  • ADH13
    ADH13 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have PCOS so a lower carb diet is what my doctor recommends. With the help of a dietitian, I focus on changing my carbs to low glycemic foods. I still get to eat foods I love but I find healthier alternatives. My weight loss is slow but steady but I have only been doing this for about 2 months.

I just know I personally couldn't follow a plan that restricted carbs all together. I hope you find a plan that works for you.

Good Luck!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, nowhere in the OP's post does she indicate that she is trying to eliminate carbs from her diet. It's VERY likely that her diet is comprised too heavily of carbohydrates... Baked goods, etc. Trying to eat more healthy food groups (fruit, vegetables, proteins) doesn't mean she's pursuing a low-carb diet. She explained this already.

I used to be able to eat A BOX of pasta a day! And I will always be weak for cupcakes. But I have found that adequate protein really is the key to staying full enough to say "no" to a bagel or something. For me this will usually be grilled or baked chicken or fish. When you do eat grains, eat them sparingly, don't make them the focus of the meal. A small amount of rice with a stir-fry goes a long way.

I rarely eat pasta anymore and it's made a big difference for me. It has helped to make sure I eat mostly plants and animals as the main focus of my meals, and if I do eat grains it's usually rice, that's an accompaniment rather than the bulk of a meal. I do eat a fair amount of rice still :P

We still have a lot of warm weather left which means grilled meat/veggies!
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I was a major carb addict but after 3 days of no bread, pasta, pastry, potatoes, white rice etc AT ALL I just didn't crave it anymore. You have to go cold turkey, eats lots of meat, salad, veggies and beans/pulses.
  • chrssyeldridge
    chrssyeldridge Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have been able to find new things to add to my diet. Fold it flat bread light's are really low in carbs and have a bread like texture. So I use those for ton's of different things. Zucchini for spaghetti, cauliflower for mashed potato substitute. Low carb tortilla’s are amazing too. I am doing a net carb thing Total carbs- fiber= net carbs.

My daily range is 30-45 net carbs. I have been able to stick to this for 3 months and have lost and KEPT off 12 or so lbs. I do have my cheat MEALS not days where I do not count the carbs because honestly I really don’t want to with those meals.

Good luck and if you need low carb recipes look up Peace, Love and Low carb. Awesome place to find new things to eat
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

MEAT!!!!!!!

Whole fruits
    Whole vegetables
    Lean meats like chicken and turkey
    Hard-boiled egg

you just have to look them up, ALL fruits and ALL vegetables are NOT low carb. Broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, lettuce are low carb. Corn and Carrots are NOT. Berries tend to be lower carb than apples, apricots, peaches, bananas, etc.

Meat is generally low carb unless you season it with things that are not. Eggs are awesome--they are maybe 1g each.