gym or swim?

Options
what do you think would help me slim down more swimming or going to the gym and doing dance/ aerobics classes as i cant afford to do both but with the gym by me all the classes are included in the membership price ?

i know this may seem a silly question but im new the fitness side of things as have not really been able to do in the past and well if i dont ask i wont know what people think are more beneficial lol

thx in advance for any help and input :happy:

Replies

• volleypc
    volleypc Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Gym.. and run/walk outside.. doesn't cost you anything. At the gym you have weights, clases etc. I love to swim.. 4-5 times a week, but you have less options with it.
  • mryan54
    mryan54 Posts: 10
    Options
    In my opinion they are both good choices as a workout, but if you are just starting it might be easier to just give up if you go swimming. if you take a class with other people they will keep you motivated and you will feel more obligated to finish the routine. Swimming on the other hand is in your own hands; In the beginning it can be hard to stick with it.

Best of luck,

Matt
  • becabean
    becabean Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    yeah with the gym my sister will be joining to so would have someone to go with where as swimming im all on my own so ur right the motivation would be helped a lot more with the gym and there is a lot more option on different things to do so less chance of getting bored!
    i have arthritis in my hips and knees so will just have to work out whats best to use without affecting it to much but im sure they will get stronger and be able to take more as time goes by :)

thankyou :drinker:
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I swim 3-4 times a week because I've been advised to do no impact workouts (I have feet issues). I seriously LOVE swimming. Is there a way you can try out the pool and just pay for individual swims for a couple weeks and see how you feel about it? My upper body is so toned from swimming and I really do enjoy it.

That said, if you think you'll get bored with swimming, why not do the gym where you KNOW there will be variety. The deciding factor is what will keep you happy and going back for me. Find that, and you have your solution!
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you feel happiest doing. If you do something and your not too keen on it then youll stop going. Just do what you think is fun and go enjoy it :)

Edit: Is there not a gym near you where they have a pool and classes included? The gym I go to I can do either and its all included in the cost so I can mix up my workouts depending on what I feel like doing that day
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I own a pool, but go to the gym 3 times a week to attend bootcamp classes. I work much harder in those bootcamp classes than I do swimming. Go for the gym - I think you'll push yourself harder and build friendships because everyone will be pushing themselves and tend to talk about the class - thus making you feel more comfortable and more apt to go - Good luck!
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Both! You honestly need a balance. But you should do whatever makes you happy, something you can stay motivated doing, something you love!

Swimming and cycling are usually great low impact workouts to start off doing. After a coulple of weeks, you can add intervals (1 minute high intensity swimming or cycling every few minutes) or start going to cardio classes like Zumba, Cardio Funk or Kickboxing (whatever you like). Just remember to enjoy it, stretch and stay motivated.

:)
  • becabean
    becabean Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Edit: Is there not a gym near you where they have a pool and classes included? The gym I go to I can do either and its all included in the cost so I can mix up my workouts depending on what I feel like doing that day
    [/quote]

the gym has classes included but it doesnt have a pool but think i would like having the more options of different things to do and its nearer so i would probably be able to go more often to :)

thx for ur help and input everyone x