staring to "diet" - coping with hunger and cravings

Options
13»

Replies

• Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    as you can see, everybody has their "thing" that works for them. That's what you need to find.. what works for YOU! If you try some of these things and one works but two othes don't, don't feel like YOU failed, it just isn't what works for you, your mentality, your lifestyle, your way of living. The important part is that you just keep trying until you find that right combination.

I used to "diet" as well and I would try to be so perfect, holding myself to way too high of a standard for even health nuts to achieve on a daily basis. When I got help the first thing they taught me was not to have "diet" days because they eventually lead (at least me) to a binge. I was being so restrictive that it was just setting myself up for failure.

Now I eat every 2-3 hours without ever going over 3 hours without a snack or a meal (or I try my best, again, I'm not perfect and I don't try to hold myself to perfect standards). This keeps my bloodsugar and energy level up all day long. I eat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up to start my day and metabolism.

When I eat a snack, I don't try to fool myself into indulging in something small but calorie packed (like a cake pop for instance, so a bite size, calorie packed food) and then expect my body to wait another 2-3 hours before eating again without being hungry. If you're going to eat a snack, it has to be of significant value, like a portion of fruit (an apple, a pear, a banana, 2 small kiwis, 30 grapes, etc). I can eat a slice of bread with a slice of cheese on it for a snack. Whatever it is, it had to be enough to get me through without expecting my body to do things that it really cannot do.

Another thing they taught me when I sought out help was, if I wanted to eat something not exactly healthy, the key was NOT to eat less of it (like half an order of small french fries for example) but just to eat is less often. Again this goes back to the whole "your food has to be significant" in portion. That doesn't mean super sizes, it means proper sized, so not a large bag of fries from McDonalds but the entire small bag is okay once in a great while. If you're going to have a less then healthy snack, then do it, and then move on. If you're going to have a less then awesomely healthy meal then do it and then move on. Keep those less than healthy meals and snacks in mind for the next day or two
    (or three even) and try to stay away from them during that time. Finding that delicate balance was key for me. Now I love eating healthy foods for the most part and don't let the guilt have a place in my head for those less than healthy days.

I am coming from a place of serious food issues that was helped out by professionals. Obsession, binging, hiding foods, etc. Maybe this isn't where you are and this doesn't really apply to you, but maybe it does. Either way I'm happy to share any time you have questions, just send me a PM or friend request.
  • Kswiss83
    Kswiss83 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I enjoy dark chocolate jell-o pudding cups with strawberries dipped in. Definitely satisfies a craving for me. Aside from that I let everything balance out and give in to "cravings" when I have them. Avoiding foods completely is just making you unhappy.
  • lunatikchik
    lunatikchik Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow Cheese Wedge, and Celery Stick
    :)
    Nuts, unroasted, unsalted!
    I generally have one or the other at 10 and the other at 3

I eat lots of protein and green veggies --- zucchini, spinach etc
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hot tea or hot liquid works WONDERS!

hot tea works for me as well! I like lipton green tea with mint. yummy!
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Dont think of it as a diet, think of it as the way youll eat forever, thats the only way youre going to keep off the weight you lose. Teach yourself to eat in moderation, have a little bit of the things that you fancy. Telling yourself youre never going to have cake again is a lie and likely to result in you eating cake and feeling guilty for going over your calories. Likewise telling yourself you cant have cake until youre thin is going to end in you losing the weight, going back to your old eating habits and gaining it back. If you tell yourself that you can have cake, but have a small piece and do more exercise, that is going to lead to you managing your cravings, losing weight and keeping it off.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're eating enough nutrition-wise, I find dark chocolate helps those insane sweet cravings. If you're new to dark chocolate, start at 70% and work your way up; starting at 85 or 90% might be too bitter for you. Anyway, it's chocolate, so it satisfies the sweet tooth (for me), but it's so potent that a little bit goes a long way. I'll power through an entire milk chocolate bar in the time it takes me to eat one square of dark chocolate, and the dark chocolate is so much more satisfying.
  • Crazibaker
    Crazibaker Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    uggg tell me about it!!! The hunger sometimes is overwhelming. I find if I eat lowfat cheese, it tides me over until my next meal. Cheese is my go-to.

If I'm craving a treat, I usually have these FiberOne brownies. They are only 90 calories and pretty yummy.
  • polishmehappy
    polishmehappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hello all.
    I always find that I'm so hungry the first couple of weeks when I start watching what I eat ... and find it difficult manage the cravings for sweets - sometimes it's unbearable.

I would love to hear what foods (snacks or meals) you eat; and how you cope with this struggle while getting started on a weight loss program.

Thank you for your help and comments.

Just like you I felt hungry during my first week of counting my calorie intake. This happened because I didn't know how to eat smart yet. Now I am rarely hungry :) I eat better than ever and the weight is coming off beautifully :)

If you are craving a lot of sweets look for those 100 calorie snacks. Even Aldi has them. Fruit also satisfies a sweet tooth. One of my most favorite "sweets" thes days is Oikos Greek Yogurt Caramel, soooo yummy!

Special K makes a 90 calorie bar that is also delicious, try those to satisfy the sweet cravings :)
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I found that frozen grapes hit the sweet spot for me, I would wash a cup of them and let them freeze..then I would pop 2-3 at a time. That, chewing a minty gum or brushing my teeth would keep me from eating more
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hello all.
    I always find that I'm so hungry the first couple of weeks when I start watching what I eat ... and find it difficult manage the cravings for sweets - sometimes it's unbearable.

Cocoa or cinnamon roast almonds. Just sweet enough, but also so filling.

Or just keep a few single serving packs of a sweet you crave. Unless it will trigger a binge, eating a couple of cookies, small pieces of chocolate, or whatever shouldn't derail your diet. Skinny Cow and Weight Watchers make tasty low cal candy and ice cream treats. I bought some Pet brand orange sherbert and vanilla ice cream bars for my grandson over the weekend and they were only 70 calories each! Less calories than the "diet" stuff and so yummy!

Also, you might want to consider watching what you eat all the time instead of just periodically. It really gets much easier when it becomes habit.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP the same way. I was ALWAYS so hungry I couldn't have stayed under calories if I hadn't done the following: I had to change WHAT I ate in order to stay within calories. I had to ADD many foods, like extra protein, and other nutrients as well as avoid high sugar, low nutrition 'empty' calories. Also, I had to eat more often during the day, never going more than 3 hours without eating. Each 'meal' had to include a good protein, good fat, and low glycemic carb. I also had to add more vegetables at lunch and dinner - making sure I had at least two or three each time.

At first, it was hard to train myself to eat smaller portions, but since I was eating at least 6 times during the day, and I was getting enough calories and nutrition plus added volume in the increase of vegetables it helped with the hunger pangs. Also, once I eliminated many of the foods that made me over hungry and that created cravings, it became POSSIBLE to manage portion control. Without these changes, I never would have been successful. Eliminating the food that were keeping me fat was hard at first, but now I don't even miss them.
  • Ghostrider32
    Options
    When I feel hungry and know I need to calm down my craving I eat a cold hard boiled egg,
    Dont know why but cold works better for me doesnt open up my appetite And ill have club
    soda with a splash of orange juice and afterwards suck on a cepacol cough drop.
    Works for me
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! YOU START CUTTING BACK CALORIES AND YOU START TO FEEL HUNGRY?????

tell me more.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    When I feel hungry and know I need to calm down my craving I eat a cold hard boiled egg,
    Dont know why but cold works better for me doesnt open up my appetite And ill have club
    soda with a splash of orange juice and afterwards suck on a cepacol cough drop.
    Works for me
    So what you are saying is when you are hungry, you stop it by eating...Meh, seems legit.