W1D1 C25K: questions

Options
Hi All,

I started C25K today and am using the treadmill. I started off very slow but felt good. Anyone care to share the levels they are using on the treadmill? I am walking between 3.2-3.5 incline 1.0 and running between 3.5-4.0 incline 1.0. Is that too slow?

If it helps, I am female, 245lbs.

I also started the Total Body Transformation strength workouts but am not sure what weight I should be using.

Replies

• oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I've done 3.0-3.5 for the walking part and 4.0-5.0 for the running part on incline 1 or 2 for both. While it does feel like it might be slow, it might be just right for starting off. Do it through once at a comfortable speed then do it again at a faster speed...what I'm planning on doing! :D
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    When you are learning to run, there is no such thing as "too slow."
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    The great thing about C25K is that you can do it at your own pace. If you are picking up your feet in a running motion but going slow, then you are still running. Just focus on training your body to get in the proper motions and speed and distance will come with time. I actually run slower now than I did when I was starting, but I am focusing more on distance. I do about a 12-13 minute mile for 3.5 miles and I just graduated last week.

Keep working at it and you will get there!
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hi... I am on Week 2 Day 1 of C25K.... I like you use the treadmill and go by the time intervals not the distance... So when I walk I walk usually at about 3.5mph... sometimes if I am struggling after the run interval I will go down to walking 3.0mph... When I run I run anywhere between 5.5mph and 6.0mph.. I think on Week 1 Day 1.. I ran 5.0mph...

To answer your question I don' t think anyone can say "hey that's too slow"... it's based on how you feel while you are doing it... if it feels to easy then you need to challenge your self and speed up the treadmill just a bit...even if it's just for one interval.... Like I probably won't go over 6.0mph, that will be my max... although if I decide to do the program again... I'll up my level and speed.. Currently I do "random inclines on level 2... so the highest incline is only like 2.2.

I am anywhere between 203 and 198lbs female... my weight is kinda stuck right now and goes up and down between those pounds.. hoping that C25K will get me out of this rut...

Feel free to add me if you want support!! Have a great day and good luck!!
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Better to start slow and stick with it than try to push to hard and get injured or quit. I did last year a few months after having my baby and I was really slow plus I had to repeat some of the weeks several times. I'm doing it again this summer (since I slacked on exercise over the winter unfortunately) and it's much, much easier this time. Speed will come later, right now just work on your form and build up your strength.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I am on W4D1, and I walk at 3.2, and run at 4.8.

The whole thing with this program is you cater it to yourself. The way that I look at it, a mile is a mile. Joe Schmo may have ran a 6 minute mile, while I ran a 13 minute mile. But guess what - We both ran a mile. Take it easy on yourself. Go at the pace YOU feel comfortable with. I know that there are days when I am tired, and I bump it down to 3.0/4.4. I don't run on an incline either (on the treadmill. The days I'm outside, who knows how fast I'm going?) Speed and distance will come with time. The longer you stick with the program, the longer and faster you will be able to run. Just stick with it! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Basically, the low setting should be brisk but comfortable, and the fast setting should be challenging but not overwhelming. You decide how much you want to push on each of these. Your stride length has a lot to do with what setting will work, and that's dependent on height, strength, and flexibility.

I'm personally doing 3.5 for the walk and 5.5 for the jog/run. At my current fitness 6.5 is a sprint! Sometimes I do incline intervals instead.
  • andreashawty100
    Options
    I'm on week 3 day 1. Well I already completed day 1 :)

The second week was hard for me because I hated running but now I'm taking it step by step. I actually lasted 3 minutes with stopping. I pushed through my workout today.

I don't do it on treadmill. I run on a field. Drink lots of water before leaving the house, and stretch before starting my workout.
    Stretching always helps. The weeks are going by fast. I have 6 weeks left !!!
    I have seen little results. I'm gaining muscle in my legs. My thighs look smaller; They dont jiggle that much
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    When I did C25k i was definitely running 4.0 or slower. I started on a treadmill but moved outside and the first time I finished a 5k it took me 40 minutes (couple weeks after the end of the program).

Take it as slow as you have to - the big first step is continuous time. Pace and distance will follow.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    When you are learning to run, there is no such thing as "too slow."

This!

Just focus on building up on what you can do and remember this is not a race and you are not competing with anyone (yet!). Feels pretty liberating to just run for the fun of it and to improve each week on what you can do!

Not sure if you have had a look yet but there is also a friendly C25K group on here (please do feel free to come and join us!): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • KeepJoJoPushin
    Options
    the treadmill at no incline does nothing....i do know this learned it last night on extreme weight loss edition or whatever its called.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    the treadmill at no incline does nothing....i do know this learned it last night on extreme weight loss edition or whatever its called.

Well it does *something* as you are moving. LOL It just doesn't give you any added resistance.