Increased calories from 1200-1350

Options
Or should I follow MFP's recommendation? I find it a little hard to stick to 1200. I am 5'8" and CW 226. Goal is 160.

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    What did you set your goal weight loss per week to be?

If you are given 1200, you can up the allowed amount via exercise.
  • awerewka
    awerewka Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    2 pounds but decided to lower it to 1.5 and up my calories by 150. And when I do exercise I eat half to all of them back.

I just want to do this the right way.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    2 pounds but decided to lower it to 1.5 and up my calories by 150. And when I do exercise I eat half to all of them back.
    I just want to do this the right way.

Sounds ok, you could set it to one pound a week too and get a bit more to eat (another 250) in return for a slower loss target.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    2lbs is too ambitious for your weight.

1.5 is the max you should look to lose.

No need to crash and burn he he.
  • awerewka
    Options
    Yah I wasnt too comfortable with 1 pound and 1400+ calories and I also wasn't comfortable with 2 pounds and 1200 calories so I tweeked it for a happy medium. It will still give me that push to exercise to add some more calories to my diet. I will give it a few weeks and see how I am doing with it and will either go back to 1200 or up it to 1450.
  • awerewka
    Options
    2lbs is too ambitious for your weight.

1.5 is the max you should look to lose.

No need to crash and burn he he.

Really? I thought because I am bigger it should be easier to lose the 2 pounds but I also agree that 1-1.5 is a healthy way to go. I def dont wanna crash and burn. I am slowly adding exercise as in the past I have little to none. I get bad shin splints from walking so I am going to start with slower paced and hopefully work my way into light jogging. I just purchased a pair of good walking/running shoes so hopefully that helps.
  • Ashers83
    Ashers83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just did the exact same thing myself. MFP told me 1200 calories a day which I had no problem sticking to but I stopped losing weight. I FINALLY took people's advice and upped my calories. I started losing again!! I'm now at 1350 a day :)
  • sexy_RN88
    sexy_RN88 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I started at 226.8 (although I'm 5'5.5") and I've kept my calories between 1400 and 1600 every day since July 11th, and as of yesterday, I've lost 10 pounds :) It's been easy to sustain because I feel like I'm getting enough food. When I tried to stick to just 1200, I was hungry, crabby and irritable the entire day, and I tossed and turned all night. Don't be afraid to experiment with your calories to find out what works best for you!
  • pamtram
    pamtram Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are comfortable with the calories. If 1200 is too few for you, you won't stick to it and will get disapointed.

I have never been able to go as low as 1200 and I have managed to lose weight.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Im having trouble even eating the 1200 and then factor in the exercise and im netting 300-400 cals a day. Not a good thing esp not for the long term. I am trying to up my calories by a couple hundred at least a day to help some. Taking me an hour to eat my dinner and my stomach seems to be angry at me for trying to feed it more. I will see how it goes for a week and see if i still lose.