Loads of calories left, what to eat?

Options

Replies

• Hinee48
    Hinee48 Posts: 2
    Options
    fruit is good especialy with the hot weather and it is sooo in season.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I am not very hungry but I am worried that by not eating more I am going under the recommended 1200 calories per day. Can I save some calories for when I go to the pub tomorrow?

If you go to the pub tomorrow are you going to replace the cals with lager/wine etc?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    What have you done to burn 500 cals today? How did you estimate it?

Walking, 3.5 mph, brisk pace 23 minutes 146 cals
    Elliptical Trainer 5mins 74 cals
    Stationary bike, moderate effort (bicycling, cycling, biking) 10mins 117cals
    Swimming, breaststroke, general 15minutes 251 calories

Used mfp Exercise Tool

I weight 270 pounds.
    There is NO way you burned 74 calories in 5 minutes, or 251 calories in 15 minutes in the pool. I generally burn about 350 for an hour of swimming vigorously. I'd half all of those calories.

^^This. MFP estimates very high.
  • iamfatyo
    Options
    you should try eating a cupcake eats up all the fat or try a protien bar also works too!
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    mmm cheese mmm ... and wine mmm
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I go over in protein on a daily basis. Have a protein bar or shake. Have some fruit or a bowl of ice cream. Have something tasty with your leftover calories :)
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    And why eat if you're not hungry?? Listen to your body is my motto!
  • nickmast78
    Options
    PBJ is always my go to when I have lots of cals left over.

Reduced fat peanut butter 190cals
    Brownberry whole wheat bread 2 x 110cals
    Fit & Active sugar free strawberry preserves 10 cals

420 total calories of yum!
  • skinnyminitea
    Options
    Peanut butter and banana sandwich :D
    Peanut butter smoothie
    Nuts, avocado, whole eggs, dat stuff.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Lisa, looks like you have only just started on the MFP thing. If you are already worried about going to the pub tomorrow and having left over calories than you need to re think things a little. Not wanting to put you down in any way but sheesh! going over protein by a gram as against saving your cals for tomorrow.

I like to have a drink too, as do a lot of people on here! But if you are really serious about losing the lbs then you have to keep it real.

Well done for putting in the exercise today x
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I know it's said, but it can't be repeated enough, cause you kinda seem to ignore it..
    It doesn't have to be bad going over your protein! The limit MFP sets is the minimum of protein you should always have every day, and it's only a good thing if you go over! Just like with your vitamins. You wouldn't freak out about going over your Vitamin C limits I take it, and refuse to eat things with vitamin C in them? IT'S JUST THE SAME WITH PROTEIN!

Make an omelette or something..
  • hellou76
    hellou76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    MFP exercise calories burn estimates are very generous, I used to use them then I got myself and swanky heart rate monitor, the first time I wore it to the gym I was gob smacked, I really only burned half the amount that MFP stated. If I am going flat out I only burn 10 cals per minute.
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Used mfp Exercise Tool

I weight 270 pounds.
    There is NO way you burned 74 calories in 5 minutes, or 251 calories in 15 minutes in the pool. I generally burn about 350 for an hour of swimming vigorously. I'd half all of those calories.

Well I am going by MFP tool. does it not work then?
  • lisamerrison
    Options
    MFP exercise calories burn estimates are very generous, I used to use them then I got myself and swanky heart rate monitor, the first time I wore it to the gym I was gob smacked, I really only burned half the amount that MFP stated. If I am going flat out I only burn 10 cals per minute.

If I get a heart rate monitor how do you work out your calorie burn?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Used mfp Exercise Tool

I weight 270 pounds.

Well I am going by MFP tool. does it not work then?

It's an estimate. If you want a more accurate reading I'd invest in a HRM. Or if you can't afford one, maybe eat back only a percentage of your exercise calories.
  • hellou76
    Options
    Most heart rate monitors work it out for you, the first time you use it you set it up with age, sex, height, weight etc and the rest is done for you. Its not essential, you can use MFP sucessfully, but I think most users would agree that the calorie burn it estimates is on the high side for most activities. (I am now awaiting a string of MFP users to tell me they disagree) :happy:
  • lisamerrison
    Options
    Like others have said the protein count that MFP sets is very very very low. Some professionals recommend eating 1g of protein per KG of body weight, take a look at this...http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20410520,00.html.

If you open your food diary people can will be able to give you better advice, I was very worried about doing this at first because I thought people would judge me or I wouldn't be so honest with myself but it turned out that I got some great advice from my MFP friends.

Are you eating any snacks throughout the day? How many calories do you eat on average per meal? Don't worry about not eating all your exercise calories every time, just make sure you eat some of them most of the time.

If you are eating sandwiches or salads, you could try adding some dressings or good fats such as olive oil, that soon adds the calories up, so do nuts and they are full of essentail nutrients, I stopped buying low fat foods and now use butter and full fat greek yogurt, they are whole foods and probably processed better by the body than overly processed low fat foods. My favourite snack is oatcakes with peanut butter and believe me they add to my daily calorie count very easily. Oh and dark chocolate.

Why not have a look at some of your successful MFP friends food diaries and see how they do it, some of the folks around here are very knowledgeable I use them all the time.

I can't work out how to open my food diary :(
  • THINk_kkaybbyx0
    Options
    I would say definitly treat yourself to something sweet!
  • hellou76
    Options
    To open your diary, click on setting on the top right of your screen, go to diary settings, scroll to the bottom and you will see choices, to open it to the public, friends or keep it private, chose one then save changes at the bottom of the screen.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    there is a lot of hand holding going on in this thread