How to use/do protien drinks

Options
So today my goal is to buy some protein powder but wanna know if they really help as a meal replacement especially if you use water only?
I' am new to this & don't really know how protein helps or what it is for, so PLEASE fill me in with the 411 and recommendation on what kind and recipes.

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Protein drinks are a convenient way to add protein to a diet that is low in protein.

Getting sufficient protein is important when you're losing weight because it helps you to retain more of your muscle mass.
  • shawngm98
    shawngm98 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use it as a supplement, after I work out in the evenings. The kind I use (24/7 Whey) doesn't have enough calories to use as a meal replacement.

I love the strawberry flavor & blend it with 1c. unsweetened almond milk & 2-3 ice cubes.

I've heard whey is the best, and look for one with 1g or less of sugar and not a lot of other ingredients- this is what works best for me.
    Hope that helps!
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a great and easy way of adding more protein to your diet. Protein is used for the production of muscles - getting your macros is important! I don't eat a lot of meat so I like to use protein shakes to get extra protein in my diet. I wouldn't use it as a meal replacement personally, but I definitely use it as a supplement!

It's recommended that after a work-out is one of the best times to consume protein, so that the it can be delivered to your muscles and begin the healing of muscle 'micro tears' - these are tiny tears in the muscle tissue, caused by intense contraction of the muscle during your work-out. Since solid food takes longer to digest and to break down the protein and send it to the muscles, it can be best to take a protein shake immediately following a workout (I read somewhere that protein shakes only take about 30 minutes to reach the muscle after ingestion). Wham-bam! :-)

I use NSI Vanilla Whey protein powder (22 grams of protein per serving: 2 scoops) -- it's relatively plain but I prefer it since it's a bit more versatile than other flavors; (I like adding my own flavours such as cocoa, pb2, berries, etc.

My go-to post workout shake is: 1.25 cups of unsweetened almond milk, 1 or 2 scoops of vanilla whey powder, 1/2 frozen banana, 1 tsp. cocoa powder (unsweetened), and I'll sometimes add pb2 (powdered peanut butter) as well for a yummy peanut butter taste.
  • emmoen1
    emmoen1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have never used protein powder as a meal replacement. Usually I take mine as a post workout snack. But I also add some to my morning oatmeal for a little extra protein...
  • lacharp
    lacharp Posts: 66
    Options
    I use it as both a supplement and a meal replacement. In the morning I blend a scoop of vanilla whey protein with iced coffee, it's like a healthier Frappuccino. ;-) And then most nights for dinner, I have a smoothie - usually some type of protein powder (right now I'm using hemp) mixed with 1 cup blueberries, 7oz spinach, a banana and a cup of almond milk, sometimes some ground flax too.
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    after years of slim fast not working i started protein powders, i use 2% and body fortress (price and availability) as breakfast after my workout. so far so good, for the first time ever i'm actually loosing the weight and seeing some great tone and definition all over! i've also used the plain bulk whey isolate in coffee instead of creamer (still like a little milk but less than half of a normal cup) sprinkle chocolate on ice cream when i've worked in a treat. vanilla makes for a great smoothie for lunch with lots of fruits and some yogurt. that's as far as i've gotten with it!
  • plumnbagel
    plumnbagel Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Not to be gross, but I'd recommend finding one with isolated protein (my body really has trouble processing some supplements without creating some embarrassing byproducts).
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I drink mine with unsweetened coconut almond milk. I usually get either chocolate milk or strawberry...SO SO GOOD!

I do CrossFit and I drink mine when I get home, about 15 minutes after working out. It helps me get to my protein goals and it helps me with my nausea after working out.

When I drink it I do feel full but I HATE it with water. I think it's gross and just too watery.

You can also add your protein powder to shakes/smoothies. I've eaten it in my morning oatmeal as well. There are tons of ways to get it in your system!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I've been using mine because I have trouble figuring out what I want for lunch so the protein smoothee I make is a no brainer and easy. Everyone has an opinion on it. I like them for snacks, or right after a workout too, just for a "supplement" meal.

denise:drinker: :drinker:
  • bookyeti
    Options
    I HATE it with water. I think it's gross and just too watery.
    I can second this. YUCKY! Best have it with almond milk or another 'milk'-like product. Almond milk is awesome because it also adds extra protein. :)

They can also satisfy a "sweets craving"... as they taste just like a milkshake!
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options

They can also satisfy a "sweets craving"... as they taste just like a milkshake!

oh YES!

It always satisfies my sweet tooth. You could also add some ice to it and blend it up...make it a frape!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I HATE it with water. I think it's gross and just too watery.
    I can second this. YUCKY! Best have it with almond milk or another 'milk'-like product. Almond milk is awesome because it also adds extra protein. :)

I agree that protein shakes are better with almond milk. However, almond milk doesn't have very much protein at all - soy milk does. Although, I'm not sure why you would be concerned with adding 1-2g of protein to a protein shake.
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    Depends on the kind you purchase. If it's a whey protein, it isn't ideal to use it as a meal replacement. You should purchase a blend, such as whey, casein and egg whites, a tub of casein, or buy a meal replacement supplement such as Real Grains. If you do want to use whey, make a shake out of it or add milk to slow down the digestion rate to keep you fuller longer.

So yes, you can use protein drinks as meal replacements.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Protein powder can be used as a meal replacement, it just depends on what you do with it. My daily breakfast (usually post workout, but even on non-workout days) is a protein smoothie which is packed with fruit, fiber, vitamins and protein.

My recipe is:

2 cups Silk Regular Soy Milk
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 cup frozen blueberries (the berries are eyeballed, and the ratio can change)
    1 banana
    1 TBSP natural peanut butter
    2 scoops Nature's Life Soy Protein - Super-Green Pro-96

BLEND!

Sugar: 38 g
    Protein: 68 g
    Calories: 686
    Carbs: 73 g
    Fat: 17 g
    Fiber: 17 g

The best part of this smoothie is that I can go until late in the afternoon without getting hungry. And, in a pinch (or if I had an over-indulgent weekend), I can have a Clif bar for lunch and make it till dinner fine.

Enjoy.
  • Lioness102
    Lioness102 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Not to be gross, but I'd recommend finding one with isolated protein (my body really has trouble processing some supplements without creating some embarrassing byproducts).

I have heard that before. I was also told that women shouldnt eat products with too much soy due to some effects of estrogen and could lead to causing cancer...:frown: So I just try to find ones that are especially for women & organic if possible. Right now I use one called Thinberry Opti-curb, a brown rice protein that I found in Whole Foods. I mix it with 1 or 2 fresh fruits in the blender after a morning workout. Takes me thru to an afternoon snack or small lunch..

Good luck!
  • Lioness102
    Lioness102 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Protein powder can be used as a meal replacement, it just depends on what you do with it. My daily breakfast (usually post workout, but even on non-workout days) is a protein smoothie which is packed with fruit, fiber, vitamins and protein.

My recipe is:

1 banana

BLEND!

The best part of this smoothie is that I can go until late in the afternoon without getting hungry. And, in a pinch (or if I had an over-indulgent weekend), I can have a Clif bar for lunch and make it till dinner fine.

Enjoy.

I like this..sounds yummy! I may have to tweek it for myself!
  • ReadySara
    ReadySara Posts: 86 Member
    Options

My recipe is:

1 banana

BLEND!

Enjoy.

Thank you Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • bookyeti
    Options
    I agree that protein shakes are better with almond milk. However, almond milk doesn't have very much protein at all - soy milk does. Although, I'm not sure why you would be concerned with adding 1-2g of protein to a protein shake.
    I can't drink soy milk, which is why I suggested almond. (Some women prefer to stay away from soy products because it can increase estrogen levels.) But both are great in a protein shake. And a little extra protein is better than no extra protein (ie. water).