Body Tone mini stepper, or other mini steppers - useful?

Options
Hi all. I am wondering if anyone owns one of those mini stepper things and if they work at all? I can not afford to buy any "real" piece of exercise eqipment, and while I go for walks/jogs I really want an elliptical type exercise but I can't afford an actual elliptical right now. I saw some of these mini steppers (specifically the one by Body Tone) at the store today and wondered if they actually are worth buying. Anyone have any success, or even opinions on them? Thanks!

Replies

• vtachycardia
    Options
    Equipment:

Polar HRm (FT1)
    GymBoss -
    Decent set of resistance bands

You Tube - "resistance bands workouts", these are usually designed to increase heart rate and provide strength training

You may have a lot more fun than stepping.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Something is better than nothing, but honestly, if you have stairs at home, that would be a much better workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Something is better than nothing, but honestly, if you have stairs at home, that would be a much better workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Quite right, I assumed that no one would buy a stepper if they had access to stairs.
  • aliciagudino
    aliciagudino Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't have any stairs at home, ha. Hmmm, I guess I'll just stick to what I already have...the street, ha.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Yeah, I don't have any stairs at home, ha. Hmmm, I guess I'll just stick to what I already have...the street, ha.

I listed all the equipment you need. You don't need the HRM so resistance bands and the gymboss.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I used to have one of those stepper thingies, used it for 30 minutes. then i found it too boring, too noisy, too blah.
    a friend of mine lost quite a bit of weight when she was using hers obsessively though. so i guess they can work, if you use them.

if you're looking at that type of exercise and don't feel like running up and down your stairs all the time, get yourself a step platform. no noise, you can watch tv, or rent exercise dvds for it.
    just my opinion.
    i have to admit though, i don't personally own a step platform, I use my wii fit with a height extension, it counts the steps and tells me i am wonderful :happy: