Whey Protein taste issue, advice please.

Options
manderson27
manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
I have been drinking SCI MX Strawberry flavoured protein shake for a while now and I love it. So I thought I would splash out and get the chocolate flavour, well it is blegh, horrible chalky taste even when made with milk.

So now I have a large drum of protein powder I am not going to drink.

Any one have any ideas on what I can do with it to disguise the taste, any recipes I can throw it in so I get the protein but not the flavour? Really don't want to waste it..

Replies

• carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,423 Member
    Options
    BioChem Chocolate Fudge is awesome! It's all natural and sweetened with ECJ and stevia. I've been using it for years now!

As to your current supply of icky tasting protein powder, how about you make some smoothies with fruit or peanut butter and yogurt?
  • manderson27
    Options
    Thanks carlsoda I will give the fruit pb or yoghurt a try. I did try a banana smoothie woth it but still got that chalky taste :(

Can I use it in baking? Perhaps that would neutralize it?
  • nikki_att84
    nikki_att84 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    is whey for body building or weight loss?
  • rizzaG
    rizzaG Posts: 110
    Options
    Here's a good high protein guilt free dessert I recently made me and my husband loves it!

High Protein cheese Cake

*24oz fat free cream cheese (if you can't find fat free substitute it with low fat instead but it will change the nutritional value.
    *2 scoops whey protein powder (any with vanilla flavor, chocolate is fine if you wanna do chocolate cheese cake)
    *3/4 cup stevia would be best (organic) or other artificial sweetener of your choice
    *vanilla extract
    *3 whole eggs
    *1 tbsp. lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350F Combine all the ingredients using a mixer till it forms like a smooth butter. Put in a 9inch aluminum pan bake at 350degreesF for 40-45mins. Let it cool down for 5mins and let it sit in the fridge for at least 3-4 hrs. (to harden it a bit more) tastes great and healthy too! I put strawberries on top by the way. Enjoy!

Nutritional Facts:
    Calories: 150
    Total Fat: 2g
    Total carb: 7g
    Sugar:6g
    Protein: 21g
  • nikki_att84
    nikki_att84 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    thats sounds good
  • audinphx
    audinphx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with coffee (I brew it and keep it in a sealed container in the fridge). Then blend the coffee with the protein powder (in place of water) and stevia and a tablespoon of skim milk in the morning, for a "mocha" shake. It helps cover the chalky taste.
  • manderson27
    Options
    Here's a good high protein guilt free dessert I recently made me and my husband loves it!

High Protein cheese Cake

*24oz fat free cream cheese (if you can't find fat free substitute it with low fat instead but it will change the nutritional value.
    *2 scoops whey protein powder (any with vanilla flavor, chocolate is fine if you wanna do chocolate cheese cake)
    *3/4 cup stevia would be best (organic) or other artificial sweetener of your choice
    *vanilla extract
    *3 whole eggs
    *1 tbsp. lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350F Combine all the ingredients using a mixer till it forms like a smooth butter. Put in a 9inch aluminum pan bake at 350degreesF for 40-45mins. Let it cool down for 5mins and let it sit in the fridge for at least 3-4 hrs. (to harden it a bit more) tastes great and healthy too! I put strawberries on top by the way. Enjoy!

Nutritional Facts:
    Calories: 150
    Total Fat: 2g
    Total carb: 7g
    Sugar:6g
    Protein: 21g

Now that sounds good, I love cheesecake. Thank you.
  • manderson27
    Options
    I mix mine with coffee (I brew it and keep it in a sealed container in the fridge). Then blend the coffee with the protein powder (in place of water) and stevia and a tablespoon of skim milk in the morning, for a "mocha" shake. It helps cover the chalky taste.

Great idea I will try this tomorrow

Thank you very much.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Have you tried mixing the two types? What I do with my crappy ON whey proteins, I mix one scoop of them with some Myofusion chocolate and it ends up being quite nice. Myofusion chocolate being by far the tastiest protein powder I've ever had.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Add a ~tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa to give it a much nicer chocolate flavor for a few additional calories. For a bit more calories you can add a banana, peanut butter, and/or yogurt. Also, if you're mixing it with a spoon you probably want to try mixing it with a blender instead and adding some ice.

Also, if it's really that bad a last resort can be to just put the powder in your mouth and wash it down with water/milk. It might take 2 or 3 mouthfuls to finish a scoop depending on how much you can fit at once.
  • manderson27
    Options
    I have tried blending it with banana still blegh. It is better with milk but that raises the calories of course. I usually use the shaker to mix it and it mixes fine, no problem just the chalky aftertaste I need to hide.

Some great ideas on here thanks.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have tried blending it with banana still blegh. It is better with milk but that raises the calories of course. I usually use the shaker to mix it and it mixes fine, no problem just the chalky aftertaste I need to hide.

You can use unsweetened almond milk instead of regular milk to make some room (calorie wise) for some peanut butter or a banana. The consistency is the same and the slight almond taste is masked by the shake.
  • manderson27
    Options
    Also, if it's really that bad a last resort can be to just put the powder in your mouth and wash it down with water/milk. It might take 2 or 3 mouthfuls to finish a scoop depending on how much you can fit at once.
    [/quote]

I would probably choke myself and spray it all over the kitchen if I tried this.:noway:
  • manderson27
    Options

You can use unsweetened almond milk instead of regular milk to make some room (calorie wise) for some peanut butter or a banana. The consistency is the same and the slight almond taste is masked by the shake.

Good idea thank you.
  • manderson27
    Options
    Have you tried mixing the two types? What I do with my crappy ON whey proteins, I mix one scoop of them with some Myofusion chocolate and it ends up being quite nice. Myofusion chocolate being by far the tastiest protein powder I've ever had.

Mix two together and "Myofusion" duly noted thanks :smile:
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking SCI MX Strawberry flavoured protein shake for a while now and I love it. So I thought I would splash out and get the chocolate flavour, well it is blegh, horrible chalky taste even when made with milk.

So now I have a large drum of protein powder I am not going to drink.

Any one have any ideas on what I can do with it to disguise the taste, any recipes I can throw it in so I get the protein but not the flavour? Really don't want to waste it..

I taken just about every protein out there. They taste disgusting no matter what flavor but the worse flavor has to be strawberry. Strawberry based protein has such as nasty vomit like flavor that I really can't stomach. Chocolate in the other hand seems to taste like some disgusting drink you would be served as a laxative. Check out the protein that I use in my diary. It is a mixture of all kinds of protein commercially available or most at least but it mostly casein based. The banana flavor is not the most delicious thing in the world but I find it somewhat acceptable. This even tastes good without adding milk to be honest with you.

One thing I learned about protein powders in general is that I have the expectation that they are gonna taste extremely disgusting. Just hope you are getting the less disgusting tasting kind.
  • RegalSeagull
    Options
    You could try a single serving protein brownie. I saw a thread with a recipe a few days ago.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/669753-protein-brownie-single-serving
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Mix two together and "Myofusion" duly noted thanks :smile:

It's my go-to powder. I have tried 10-12 different brands and flavors and none of them are even half as good as myofusion chocolate. It's also the only one my wife will drink. It's not only "tolerable", it is actually quite tasty. I don't even make it with milk, just water. FWIW :)
  • manderson27
    Options
    Thanks to all of you, certainly given me some good ideas to be going on with. :flowerforyou:
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with a different brand and found a tbs of peanut butter in it makes it taste like a peanut butter kitkat :)