Confused - Calorie Counting Concern?

chanstriste13
chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
Today is my second day logging in food, and I have a slight concern. Yesterday my food choices were not the best, consisting of an oven pizza, meat sauce spaghetti and six oreo cookies. However, when all was said and done I had a surplus over over 250 calories. Today, I decided to do my best to eat healthy. The only 'junk' food I had was a pudding cup; the rest of the day I ate a lot better - or so I thought. I ate 3 servings of fruit, 1 string cheese, 1 small yogurt, slimfast, almonds and lowfat milk, baked potato (not loaded) and salad for dinner... With this food, I am in the red by nearly 100 calories - but, I got a ton of fiber and protein. Should I be more worried about going over the calorie limit, or should I be more worried about the kinds of foods I'm consuming? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    First and foremost you should look at the type of food your eating. You could stay within your calories everyday, but there isn't much nutritional value to oreos and other junk food.

On the other hand, you don't want to go over all the time either, even if it is on healthier food. You'll find a balance, it just takes some time. FYI, nuts are very high in calories and fat, but it's good calories and fat. So as long as you can stay at or under your goal, nuts are great for you.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    NOPE!! This is a learning process. As you go along, you will make changes that will stick. Your doing a great job keep up the good work!!

:heart: Jeannie
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    For me, one leads to the other. If I focus on eating better foods then my calorie intake naturally goes down. A good guide for me is the diabetic diet plan. I can choose how many calories I want and it gives a good blend of carbs, protein, and fiber. One of the really nice things about MFP is that if you use it and follow the guidelines, you really learn a lot about what you're putting in your body.
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Look at the types of foods your eating! Today was much better than yesterday and even though your in the red-I usually don't worry about 100cals. Plus think of things like, how many almonds did you eat? Almonds though they are good for you are high in calories! So usually a handful is about all I can eat. Just remember that even though today you may have been over-you can fix it tomorrow by making good choices. I have to keep telling myself that. Today was not a good day for me-if it makes you feel better im 900 cals over. Once I started bad choices for the day-I felt like I couldn't stop! but I know I can start again tomorrow!!
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Become a veggie lover... That will save you on loads of cals. :drinker:
  • Heather_b1986
    Heather_b1986 Posts: 125 Member
    try not to worry too much about the exact amount of calories you are consuming trust me it can become an obsession lol the great thing is you are eating a wide variety,(just watch the portion sizes tho) which is easier to stick to than eating celery and lettuce leaves all day, it might sound like you are bein good but in the long run you wudnt be able to last the pace, and dieting im afraid is a slow process so dont beat yourself up about the occasional "pudding cup" or whatever your vice is - mine are chocolate biscuits haha twice as bad. i tend to stick to three meals a day with the option of two snacks if im feelin hungry, you will soon learn what works for you, all the best x
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    thanks to everyone for your responses - i'll try to find my right balance, and i will do my best not to kick myself thoroughly for not getting all of this perfect on the first go. thanks for all the tips!
  • onichikun
    onichikun Posts: 21 Member
    Although your calories are close, making the right choices in what to eat can help you control your appetite, give you energy and get your metabolism going.

If you are eating home made pizza and pasta where you can control whats in it, you shouldn't have a problem. The one concern I have with pizza and spaghetti from restaurants is the fat content. If you make it at home, I would suggest trying a wheat crust, or low-fat cheese for the pizza and artichoke or wheat spaghetti for the pasta (and make sure the sauce isn't loaded with sugar.)

Small changes that work in your lifestyle is the key, but try to eliminate sources of extra sugars, fats and carbs. Oreos can be a killer because of the sugar content (sucrose)... but don't try to go to extremes.. Make small changes to your life style that work for you.. if you have a sweet tooth, try dark chocolates instead of Oreos. The sugars from fruits are also a lot healthier (fructose.)

Calories aren't everything. Making the right food choices will help your body feel more energetic, more full and also help your metabolism... Drinking enough water is also very important.

Goodluck ^^
  • SNOWMAN101750
    SNOWMAN101750 Posts: 9 Member
    wont always be perfect, keep going and it will balance out
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Become a veggie lover... That will save you on loads of cals. :drinker:

She is righ Veggies are soooooooooooooooooooooooo lowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww in calories ,
This discussion has been closed.