Vegetarian/Vegan?

Options
Hey all! So I've heard a lot of wonderful things about how good a plant based diet is for people. I'm really curious to learn more about this lifestyle so I had a few questions:

-was it difficult to give up eating meat?
-what kind of a difference has giving up meat made in how you feel/your health?
-what are some good resources to learn more about plant based diets?

Any advice you all have would be great!

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    My advice--if you like meat continue eating it. There's no "perfect diet" and there can be excellent omnivorous diets or vegetarian diets. Just do what works for YOU and what you can do indefinitely.
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have not had a hamburger in 24 years and pretty much the same for pork except one lapse about 8 years ago. I was craving a BLT and couldn't get over it, so my body must have needed it, so I ate ... FOUR of them. But haven't wanted a bite since.

I gave up pork as a teen and my mom just stopped giving me beef to make it convenient on her when cooking... I originally gave up pork because I had terrible migraines and was advised by my doc that I should limit pork in my diet. I really don't remember if there was any difference for me in cutting these two things out. Now, I pretty much only eat fish and chicken but am thinking of slowly deleting both from my diet. I don't think I will miss them, either. For the month of August, I'm trying to eliminate dairy because I suspect it's what is causing some issues.

In all honesty, you need to listened to your own body. I have two little girls and although I don't eat meat, they would probably eat ME if I didn't get them a burger once in a while. They are 6 and 8 and they just get stressed and moody when they haven't had beef in a while. The choice is yours. :)
  • curvyvegan
    curvyvegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan!

-was it difficult to give up eating meat? Meat was easy for me to give up, cheese was harder. Once I discovered how to cook amazing vegan meals and treats, I grew to LOVE being vegan.

-what kind of a difference has giving up meat made in how you feel/your health? Giving up dairy had the hugest impact on my health. It cleared up my skin, my nose is never stuffed up anymore, and I rarely get a cold. I also feel "lighter" after eating a vegan meal than I ever did after eating something with dairy, especially cheese.

-what are some good resources to learn more about plant based diets? The 30 Day Vegan Challenge by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. It is such a comprehensive resource on every single aspect of veganism that you can possibly imagine, from health, to animals to practical suggestions for eating out, to weight loss, to dealing with non-veg family, etc. It also has great recipes with gorgeous photos.
  • SarahMRBAlbertson
    SarahMRBAlbertson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been vegetarians for the last 10 years. I LOVE a plant based diet for my health, but we both have other ethical reasons for doing it as well. For us, just the diet/health aspect of it I don't think would have kept us not eating meat all of this time. I do find as a vegetarian my weight does stay more consistently down, also I have very little trouble losing weight when I just cut out my vices--- french fries and beer ;-) We also have the benefit of living on the West Coast-- lots of restaurants have vegan and veggie options here. We have not had as much luck when we travel, so if you are an avid traveler like us you may want to incorporate that into your decision. Several times I have gone hungry because there were only meat options out on the road and I failed to pack some "just in case" snacks. I grew up on venison and other meats because my family members are all avid hunters, I found when I first went "veggie" I really craved tuna more than anything though. Some of the imitation meat/soy products every so often seem to calm any other meat cravings I had though. Those products have improved a TON in taste over the years. I don't have any cravings now and haven't for years though, so that goes away. Mostly do what will work for you though. Like I said, I am not sure if I was just being a vegetarian for diet sake I could have kept going, but we are all different and maybe it would work for you. Maybe start by adding in a vegetarian meal each day to start and see how that goes first? Just a thought. Let me know if you have any questions about the "veggie" life though. Or food recommendations-- I am happy to give my two cents... :) Good luck!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Hey all! So I've heard a lot of wonderful things about how good a plant based diet is for people. I'm really curious to learn more about this lifestyle so I had a few questions:

I had no issues giving up meat and never once missed it yet (been 15 months) it was hardest to find good non dairy cheese. I prefer almond milk to cows milk and I never loved eggs so that was no big deal. I live in a big city so I am lucky to have access to tons of mock meat products too (like veggie burgers and tofu dogs etc)

I feel great being vegan (11 months now) and in general I feel "lighter" and best of all I tend to maintain my weight easier even when I frequently indulge in junk food. I also seem to recover easier/quicker from cheat days.

I went to the public library and read every book I could on veganism.....I dont have any to recommend though since I cant remember the titles.

I think for me though becoming vegan has been one of the best health decisions I have made.
  • rmarshalla
    rmarshalla Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian since birth and have never had meat, poultry, nor fish.
    I have also spent over 6 years as a vegan.
    I am currently no longer a vegan but have a lot of knowledge about both "diets".
    I find it quite easy to eat a "balanced" diet.
    If anyone has any specific questions please feel free to contact me for help :). I'm always available to help those who are looking to make the change! I think it is a wonderful thing for your body and the environment :).
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

no it wasn't difficult for me. I know for some people it is, but I think it really has to do with your reasons for giving up meat and animal products in the first place. I did it out of compassion for animals and because I didn't want to eat anything having to do with killing a live creature. This said, I NEVER once have had a craving / been tempted to have meat fish poultry or eggs and dairy after I eliminated them from my diet. The only thing that was mildly difficult to give up was fish because I used to love it and it has a lot of heath benefits, and cheese and eggs were a bit hard to give up, but once I gave all that up I never was tempted to go back or eat it anymore. I know some people that have played with veganism or vegetarianism, and if your heart isn;t in it and you don't have a good reason for living these lifestyles, it's more likely that you won't stick with it (for example, someone doing it just to lose weight).

as for your second question, veganism literally changed the way i feel mentally and physically 100%. Try it for even a week, and you'll notice a huge difference. Oh my god, i can't even tell you how much better I feel. It's the best decision I've ever made. But that being said, you have to do it right and make sure you;re getting all the essential vitamins/minerals b/c when i was just pescatarian and vegetarian, I was deficient in quite a few things and felt BETTER than when i was an omnivore, but just tired and fatigued and anxious all the time because I was lacking iron, calcium, vitamin D, and essential fatty acids. It's important to eat balanced and plan your meals smart to reap all the health benefits of this lifestyle and to get proper nutrition.

last question: just see the documentary forks over knives, read animal liberation by peter singer, and read the books 'becoming vegan' and 'vegan for life' to learn more about nutrition on a vegan diet.

I definitely completely 10000% recommend at least trying vegetarianism, and maybe eventually veganism (it took me more than a year to finally become vegan but like I said, it is so so wonderful and not hard at all and you try so many different healthy foods once you switch)
  • britneyy32
    britneyy32 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian since I was 12 haha, and I became one since I love animals so much and I thought it was horrible to eat animals, and it's digesting to me as well since you are eating a dead animal's flesh. And I do not want to support the meat industry which saddens and disgusts me so much. It was a little hard to give up meat at first, since there was some meats I liked, but I quickly got over it and haven't been tempted to eat meat what so ever since. I couldn't ever imagine eating meat again. I'm currently trying to go vegan and it's been pretty hard since I love cheese so much! And it's hard to prepare meals to have, but I'm sure I will get used to it sooner or later. But I really like how it eliminates a lot of unhealthy food options from my diet, and I basically have to eat more fruits and vegetables on a vegan diet. So I'm really hoping I can stick to it.
  • ProfessorStayPuft
    Options
    It wasn't too hard to give up meat. Especially once I watched the documentary called "Earthlings" ...warning: Don't watch that if you have a weak stomach. However, it's a worthwhile look into the meat production industry.

I felt much healthier when I became a vegetarian. I felt lighter and less bogged down and slothy.

Being a vegetarian is also one of the best things you can do for the environment. So if not for health reasons, try doing it for the planet. If you're doing it for just health reasons, then just feel happy that you're contributing a huge part to saving the planet!
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options

I did find it a bit difficult to give up meat. When my family sits down at the table to eat bbq steaks I just sit and sadly watch them, and drool. But I had to give up meat to help with some medical issues, I wasn't digesting it well. 30 minutes after eating a steak I was running for the bathroom and I was useless for the rest of the day. I never ate fish, or hamburger, or pork, so I really just gave up steak and chicken breast.

If I have even a bite of chicken or steak now I'm sick for the next 24 hours. Not worth it.

Giving it up has obviously made a huge difference, since it was making me so sick. But I also feel "lighter" if that makes sense. I just feel all around better. I also gave up dairy (intolerance) and thta made a huge difference. My doctor has been trying to figure out for years what was causing my constant dizziness - it was dairy. It was also causing stomach aches. And I gave up eggs, because they are gross and decided to follow a vegan diet. I really do like it.

Resources - There are some good sites you can check out with recipes www.happyherbivore.com is one. She has some wonderful recipes, and a few cookbooks.

In the end though its something you have to WANT to do. If you do it because you think it will be better for you, but you aren't 100% commited to it, it will be hard to stick too.
  • sriraw
    sriraw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think what you eat is a very personal decision. That said; I am a vegan. I was first a vegetarian for 10 years and now vegan for the last 12 years. Going vegetarian was easier than going vegan. Mostly because I have a huge sweet tooth and hate that I can't eat all the non-vegan treats in bakeries, candy shops, etc. I always bring my own candy wherever I go - but I still have vegetarian dessert envy....
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan too, as of a year ago. I lost 32 pounds and I feel really good. I haven't gotten sick ONCE (and I was sick constantly prior.) I don't think it's hard except in certain social situations (like where someone else invites you over/weddings, etc. It's not the meat that makes it hard though but rather the dairy because even a restaurant that has lot of "vegetarian options" will have parmesan on the pasta or feta on the salad or who knows if their rice was made with chicken broth, etc.) But at home or when I pick the place, totally easy. I eat so many more fruits and veggies and I love the creative aspect of finding new colorful veggie based dishes to make. Pinterest rocks (type in "vegan" + whatever you are trying to eat) and it will pop up some images and you can click through to see the recipe. I don't eat soy either though so that adds a different aspect to it (a lot of vegans rely on "fake" foods that are soy filled which I do not think is healthy personally.) I just FEEL better in general so it makes it easy to keep doing. When I mess up (like I had cheese enchiladas in vegas once because it was hard to order without being a total pain in the butt at the place I was) and I felt like crap for 3 days. Made me never want it again! It's weird how you don't realize how yucky you feel until you actually feel really good, then you know the difference! LOL It's kind of like when you stop drinking so much and all of a sudden your skin is not dry and you know what it's like to wake up without a headache and feeling sluggish. LOL!!
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian since birth so i don't know another way! I'm still standing strong & healthy :). Its all down to personal choice, meat is good for you as long as you take it with moderation, that's with all things! expect peanut butter...mmmm peanut butter !
  • Coni888
    Coni888 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Having been a vegetarian for 18 years due to the whole killing an animal to feed me issue, I still have moments, where I crave meat like there is no tomorrow. Meat substitutes are getting better and better imitating the taste so I normally alright or a good sniff of my partner's dinner does it.

Giving it up was not hard and I don't regret it. The hardest thing I find is that I really struggle to get my protein!! Also, as somebody else mentioned, travelling can be a pain, where salads and cheese sandwich are a staple diet when travelling.

Health wise, as I am what some call a chocolate vegetarian (ie replaced meat with chocolate), it is not really a benefit, otherwise I probably would not be on this side. I found that I have to cook differently and more and most of my meals are prepared from scratch.

Good inspiration- just go to a supermarket and have a look at the vegetarian aisle and you should get some good ideas. It is not that hard to change.

I could not be a vegan as I like cheese and milk too much and nobody had to die to provide it. So this is a choice you have to make and see if it is something you like and can maintain easily. Good luck.
  • theMIDDLE
    Options
    I've been vegetarian my whole life and was vegan all last year. It isnt hard, but can be inconvenient. Ive recently went back to veg after some health concerns but would still recommend it to anyone. dairy isnt great for you, after all. my advice would be to learn to cook for yourself if you dont already. it makes it much easier. good luck!
  • karenmetfan
    karenmetfan Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Not vegan, but work with a vegan. I think it will vary from person to person as far as the benefits or not. I'm a teacher and she is one of my aides. This was her first year working with kids and she was sick all the time--she just got every cold. She's also not thin--about 5'2" and 180lbs. It's a personal choice, not the sure way to be thin or healthy.

It's all about what your body needs, how much and what you feed it, and making sure you move. JMO
  • jeanasumrall
    Options
    I would say that if you are only going to become vegan/vegetarian ONLY for health don't do it. There are plenty of healthy diets that include lean meats and dairy. I started off about two years ago not eating red meat, then only ate fish. Then I went completely meat free. The stopping eating meat gradually wasn't too hard for me, but the not eating dairy was very difficult. I would suggest going vegetarian only if you have lots of willpower or are really concerned about the way animals are treated. Many times I have really craved some meat and the only thing that really helped was me feeling really sad about animals being treated terribly. Don't let anyone tell you you can't be healthy without a plant based diet! I will say though that after I went totally vegan I felt so awesome. I haven't been sick at all in 1.5 years since becoming vegan. I also don't feel really tired after eating a lot of food like I used too after a big meal. I feel really energetic and I am usually always in a great mood. :) Hope this helps!!!!
  • theMIDDLE
    Options

I could not be a vegan as I like cheese and milk too much and nobody had to die to provide it. So this is a choice you have to make and see if it is something you like and can maintain easily. Good luck.

this isn't strictly true. the dairy industry feeds directly into veal. what do you think happens to all the baby cows after the females have been forcibly impregnated in order to produce milk? not judging you at ALL. just thought you should know that dairy isn't all happy farmers and cows. it's a dark industry.
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian not really for health reasons but because I just don't like meat - never did. I'm 23 now and have been a vegetarian since I was 10. It was easy to give up because I never liked meat anyway :P sometimes it is hard going to other people's houses for dinner or out to a restaurant or traveling...but if you are not doing it for any moral or religious reason, then you can "cheat" when you need to.

I have a friend who does a vegan diet for weeks at a time - and then he'll eat meat again or if he is out somewhere - he is only vegan because of his MMA training.
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of people above, I have been veggie for a very long time. I changed my diet when I was a teenager after I started to question the ethical implications of food and many other things. Although I recall finding the transition difficult, as back then veggie food was in short supply, I have never regretted the decision and would never dream of eating meat again. I was even vegan for around 6 years, but found this too limiting.

As with any diet it is easy to eat rubbish food such as junk food and still be veggie/vegan. So simply not eating meat will not necessarily help you lose weight.

I love quorn products and defiantly eat a lot more fruit and veg than my meat eating friends. If you want to change for good reason, you will. If you are doing it as a whim to help you lose weight, you probably won’t keep it up long.

Good luck.

:flowerforyou: