Biggest Loser is making feel like running at 9:15 pm lol

Options
I had a good workout today but watching the show i feel lazy lol

Replies

• onichikun
    onichikun Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree. Watching them bust their butts make me feel like my 1.5 hour workout was a joke =.=

*EDIT' 29 pounds lost in a week!?!! Thats... impossible...
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yeah but to expect someone to bike 20 some miles is a lot when they have been doing little to nothing. I bike 20 miles an hour in spin class.
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    Plus I think when you are that big, and you go from nothing to daily workouts, you drop weight quickly initially but it will taper to a healthier sounding weight loss speed.
  • zibbity
    zibbity Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've been watching and wishing I could drop 13 pounds in a week. But good for them! I've been close to crying multiple times. I'm such a wuss..
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I can't even imagine what kind of calories they would have to eat per day to even maintain such a weight. They could lose weight even just eating a regular amount of calories (like 1500). But I do know what you're talking about with the run...they inspire me so!
  • angelnik03
    Options
    Yeah, I've been watching and wishing I could drop 13 pounds in a week. But good for them! I've been close to crying multiple times. I'm such a wuss..

I DID cry multiple times lol. So I've raised you 2 on the wuss scale lol :tongue:
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Oh yes I have cried!

And as far as the big numbers being dropped you have to keep in mind that last season they contestants started taking Jillian's supplements. She talked about it on Rachel Ray, thats why they broke so many records and there wasn't really a huge plateau week either. I take the fat burner supplement and at first I took it for two weeks then stopped to see if I felt a difference and I did, I could go longer and harder in workouts and saw 2lbs more weight loss and more inches lost while on the supplements so I'm back on them. Walmart sells a two week supply for 30 bucks, every where else I've looked has a one week supply for 20 bucks
  • mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    This is the only thing that I don't like about the show- it sets unrealistic expectations. They work out as many hours as most people spend at work all week. Try to keep that in mind. And one posted above me said it correct- when you have a lot of weight to loose- it comes of quickly in the beginning....
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I've never really watched the show before..........
    I know it inspires a lot of people to lose weight....... and that it's a game & a competition....................

BUTT......... in watching the new season starting tonight,
    I'm appalled at how much the contestants are expected to do at the beginning!!! :noway:

They're hugely out of shape, have probably not exercised in a long time.... if ever?
    They're expected to ride 26 miles on a stationary bike the first challenge! I couldn't do that!!!!
    Did they even get to stretch or warm up? Any instruction?? Can you spell I-N-J-U-R-Y???

It seems so cruel & inhumane to me. In a normal training situation, I seriously doubt a trainer would push someone of those heavy weights soooooo hard at the start of a workout program. The two Tongan guys lost 47 lbs. the first week, hello!!!!

The stories are heart wrenching........ I feel for all of them so much. :sad: :love: :flowerforyou:
  • xeniasimms
    Options
    Man. I can't believe I missed the show. Oh well, at least I missed it because I was at the gym. LOL
  • zibbity
    zibbity Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Oh yes I have cried!

And as far as the big numbers being dropped you have to keep in mind that last season they contestants started taking Jillian's supplements. She talked about it on Rachel Ray, thats why they broke so many records and there wasn't really a huge plateau week either. I take the fat burner supplement and at first I took it for two weeks then stopped to see if I felt a difference and I did, I could go longer and harder in workouts and saw 2lbs more weight loss and more inches lost while on the supplements so I'm back on them. Walmart sells a two week supply for 30 bucks, every where else I've looked has a one week supply for 20 bucks

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!

I've been looking for a good weight loss supplement to take. I haven't been taking any vitamins or supplements since I've started working out and I know I need to take something to replenish. I'll give them a shot!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Although I've watched BL since about season 3, I don't use it was a "target" as they have a unique situation going on there. Don't forget, most of them water load before their official first weigh in which usually makes first week always "record breaking". Not to mention, most of the weight loss is water and/or muscle glycogen loss, not fat.

BTW, it was a combined 26.2 miles, which was about 12.1 miles each if they both pulled their weight evenly (no pun intended).

...and finally, for the record, the contestants are on a 1800 cals/day (men), 1500 cals/day (women) diet, and are told to reach at least 8000 cals burnt (men), 6000 cals burnt (women) on their Body Bug every day. This was from an interview from a few of the constestants of season 7. If you calculate that, it's over a 43,000 cal weekly deficit or about 12 lbs of fat.
  • supermom1114
    Options
    I've never really watched the show before..........
    I know it inspires a lot of people to lose weight....... and that it's a game & a competition....................

BUTT......... in watching the new season starting tonight,
    I'm appalled at how much the contestants are expected to do at the beginning!!! :noway:

They're hugely out of shape, have probably not exercised in a long time.... if ever?
    They're expected to ride 26 miles on a stationary bike the first challenge! I couldn't do that!!!!
    Did they even get to stretch or warm up? Any instruction?? Can you spell I-N-J-U-R-Y???

It seems so cruel & inhumane to me. In a normal training situation, I seriously doubt a trainer would push someone of those heavy weights soooooo hard at the start of a workout program. The two Tongan guys lost 47 lbs. the first week, hello!!!!

The stories are heart wrenching........ I feel for all of them so much. :sad: :love: :flowerforyou:

They have plenty of doctors, and staff on hand, they know what they're doing. The problem with so many people today is that they think they cant exercise hard like that because theyre too big and this just keep shoveling food down their throat and feeling sorry for themself. The biggest loser shows them as well as america that, yea you may be over 400lbs but you can get on a bike, you can pedal hard and push yourself and end up drenching in sweat and you're not going to die! Stupid stuff like "just take the stairs" or "park farther away" is not going to make a difference in people who are MORBIDLY obese. They will die at too young an age because of their weight and learning to push themselves and realize what theyre capable of is the entire reason why biggest loser works and has helped so many people, not just contestants but regular people sitting on the couch watching it.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    OK, thanks to all for some clarification of what's going on here....... :flowerforyou:

12.1 miles on a bike is a lot "easier" than 26.2. whew.......... still a tough ride though.

Surely they would not let anyone croak on national TV, even though one Blue woman had to be taken off.

Guess I'm thinking about myself being somewhat injury-prone when I overdo it. I thought I was in pretty good shape and then recently tweaked my low back doing something very simple............ uggggh!

It sure takes guts to put yourself out there like that! :noway: :drinker: