Swimmers - how do you keep your hair healthy?

Options
I've been swimming for a few months now and my hair is so dry. I wear a swim cap but of course water still gets in. I rinse my hair before getting in the pool and wash my hair right after swimming and condition every time as well. I don't use a dryer or any other heat elements to try to keep the dryness away. I use shampoo made for dry hair and conditioner as well. I know i should do weekly oil treatments but don't so I'll try that as well. I do color my hair but only every 3 or 4 months and stopping is not an option. :o)

Are there any other tips you can give for keeping my hair a bit healthier? What shampoos/conditioners/treatments have you found work good for your hair?

Replies

• antiwings
    Options
    Maybe use an intensive mask? I use any herbal essensanses (really cant spell!)
  • zoe871
    zoe871 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Put some kind of moisturiser or serum on just before you get in :).
    I use R&B from lush which seems to help by creating a barrier
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm not a swimmer, but my hair is on the dry side from color, blow drying and flat ironing. I've just started using coconut oil on my hair and it comes out very nice! I followed the advice at this link: http://www.howdoesshe.com/coconut-oil-moisture-treatment

I did it every other day last week - you might want to to do it more often or after every swim. Good luck!
  • Mizzshy1
    Mizzshy1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you can not use a swim cap , I have been told you can prep your hair before the pool. Start By wetting your hair until it can not absorb any more water, then apply your choice of hair conditioner. This will keep your hair from absorbing the chlorine water and prevent your hair from becoming dry and brittle like straw. I have not tried this but I know other that say it has worked for them.
  • nauti_gal
    nauti_gal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Use Ultra Swim Shampoo and Conditioner. You should be able to find it at your local drugstore. I think it works well, but it has a strong smell.