Eating Junk...and Losing????

Options
I have a good friend who has lost over 20 pounds using MFP, while not working out, and eating junk. I mean serioulsy eating junk - I've seen her diary. I eat healthy, and workout 5-6 times a week and am not losing. What gives???:grumble:

PS...I just changed my cal goal today to 1200. It was at 1600 the past few weeks, that's why I appear to be "so over."

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If you ate only one twinkie per day for a month, what would happen to your weight and why?
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    As long as she eats at a deficit she can still lose weight. I only had a brief look at your diary but you seem to eat at or slightly over your calories. Apologies if your last few days weren't indicative of overall eating pattern.

The more weight she has to lose the easier it is as well I think (in the beginning). Say someone weighs 120 kg and someone else weighs 100. It will be easier for the 120 kg person to get down to 100 than for the 100 kg person to get down to 80. When person A is on 100 is will probably be similarly hard for them to drop to 80 as well. Or at least this is how I understand it...
  • Johlawrence
    Johlawrence Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    LOL! Yes, last week I was at the beach...I upped my cals to 1600 about a week prior to vacation because I wasn't losing at 1200 either, however, I was "netting" under 1200 most days in the beginning...Thanks for looking though!!!
  • sfarrell1359
    sfarrell1359 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation to me. I lost weight having snacks, I just measured out the serving size and that was all I ate.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I eat "junk".

Calorie deficits produce weight loss.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I eat "junk".

how U doin?
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I eat "junk".

how U doin?

but do you send junk mail? that is the question.
  • emmabrackpool
    emmabrackpool Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've been following Atkins and have lost 10lbs in the past 2-3 weeks. Eating low fat just didn't work for me and since I've been frying my food in butter and eating bacon, eggs etc its been falling off!! Some would look at my daily food intake and scream in horror but hey it works for me!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I eat "junk".

how U doin?

:laugh: :wink:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I eat "junk".

how U doin?

Not yours. Meat is high in saturated fat, which is "bad".
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I eat "junk".

how U doin?

but do you send junk mail? that is the question.

Not yet.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I'm a junk eater too. I've been following the Everything In Moderation school of thought that seems to be hated by quite a few members here and I've been losing. I just have a decent deficit.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I eat some junk. I had a pile of jello shots over the weekend and just had some chocolate chip cookies.

But the bulk of what I eat is food that's not too far removed from it's natural state.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I eat junk.. and I lose fine.

How are you estimating calories burned? you may be eating too much and thats why you aren't losing.

Also since you exercise, your muscles retain water as they repair themselves.. which means the scale doesn't move.

Third thing is, friend who isn't exercising is losing fat along with muscle.. which means she'll show losses faster then you who exercises.
  • Anya06
    Anya06 Posts: 95
    Options
    I'm a junk eater too. I've been following the Everything In Moderation school of thought that seems to be hated by quite a few members here and I've been losing. I just have a decent deficit.

I lost all my weight by sticking to eat everything in moderation too :) way I see it as long as I am not over my daily allowance of callories,fats and carbs its all good :) tho i never eat all my callories just to allow for errors etc...but everyone shud do what works best for them x
  • angelraguel
    angelraguel Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    just because they are losing weight by eating crap doesnt mean to say they are healthy! and they are probably the ones more likely to put it back on or eventually gain diabetes. stick with your excercise and decent foods =D
  • icesk8ermom
    icesk8ermom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I know people who eat junk or eat fast food every day, sometimes twice a day and they lose weight also. However, they tend to eat VERY lite on their other meals and have no snacks and very little if any water. And...a big AND they almost always eat less than 1200 calories a day with no exercise other than cleaning house.

Me on the other hand…. I eat fairly good (or at least try to), drink my water, and exercise but don't see a drop on the scale. BUT....I do see a drop in inches so I know that I am building muscle that I have lost and then will see the lbs. drop. It is very hard to be patient and even harder to see others eat the way they do and lose every week when I don't but....I know in the end I will be better off! (yesterday my bratting teenager even told me my butt has shrunk!)

***(I am not perfect and don't claim to be I struggle sometimes to get to 1200 calories when I exercise; working on correctly this and I need a sweet snack at night....my weakness).
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs. calories out. Weightloss is achieved through deficit. It really is that simple. If you're not loosing, re-evaluate your measuring of intake and burn.