Wii Fit... will it help?

Options
I made a profile on Wii Fit tonight and did 15 minutes of yoga (1st time I had tried it) and also 15 minutes of core strength work..

Really felt I was working out but would like to know if its a worthy way of trying to lose some pounds and tone up...

Anyone got 2 cents they wanna add??

Anyone had success with it?

x

Replies

• Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    When I first started (Feb '11), I got a Wii Fit Plus, and did a lot of walking with it, until it warmed up enough to walk outside. I don't do much with it now, because I greatly prefer walking outside.

But every little bit helps, and if that's what's working for you right now, then WORK IT!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I started on my wii fit. it will get you going. then you'll want to add height to the step (you can buy special devices that lift it up - i just built a small platform), and maybe you'll even want to start some classes...

I do a lot of running outside now, but am thinking i should get back to the wii for strength exercises, i tend to skip them altogether.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    The yoga poses are a great way to learn yoga. The balance exercises are fun. The strength ones can help you with form.

I think it is a great way to exercise since it is fun and encouraging. You may find you eventually outgrow it. When I started using it I was recovering from surgery and could only move so much. As my healing moved along I found it to be slow since there is so much talking between each exercise and not strenuous enough for me. I now run 5 miles or walk 3 miles, lift, and take 90 minute yoga classes.

It is a sound exercise program and if you enjoy it and will keep doing it consistently then it is a good thing. Just because it isn't strenuous enough for me doesn't mean it isn't good for many people. I believe just getting up and moving is great. I have heard some nice things about the Wii Zumba and am thinking of getting that, it sounds fun.
  • Porcelaine22
    Porcelaine22 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ANiceIdea
    ANiceIdea Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A close family friend of mine lost about 90 pounds on it , he had moved away for a job for a while so when he walked into the house six months later I thought he was a stranger....like really had no clue who he was.
  • welsh_lass86
    welsh_lass86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Its a great way to get used to exercising as others have said. I used wii fit plus religiously for a year and it did help me loose weight. I think the best thing to do is to stay away the balance exercises as they're really just games, instead try out the yoga, strength exercises and aerobics. The hula hoop and step aerobics (over 30 min periods) in particular worked really well for me.

If you find at some point you want something a bit more challenging I'd really recommend EA Sports Active 2, it's hard work but I've seen great results from using it.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit is a nice way to get moving, but I don't think it's going to do much. You need to be active 30-60 minutes every day. Try the 10,000 step program. Get yourself a pedometer, or some other device (like body bugg, nike fuel band, fit bit), and get moving. 10,000 steps is approximately 5 miles (per day).

You know why most people in large metropolitans aren't fat? Because they walk 5 miles a day.

I have an Xbox with Kinect and do the Your Shape Body Evolved game. It really gets my heart rate going. The real key to weight loss is cardio. No amount of sit ups will get rid of a gut, cardio will!

So if you do Wii Fit, do it at full speed for at least 45-60 minutes. Otherwise, I just don't see it making a huge difference.

BTW, my buddy lost 40lbs just doing the 10,000 step program. The key is constant activity.
  • funmonk
    funmonk Posts: 20
    Options
    I've lost 22 pounds using the Wii fit, mostly step, hula hula hoop, and running. It's been 4 months. I'm really happy with it. It's really exercise and I work up a sweat every time.
  • jenqoe
    jenqoe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit is great and definitely helps. I've been doing between 30 mins - 2 hours of it a day for the last month and started losing weight again.

If you've got the Wii Fit Plus, the cycling activity is brilliant for a bit of cardio. Plus I find it more interesting than the regular stepping, as you get to do 30 mins with changing scenery while controlling where you're going to explore the Wii island. The rhythm parade thing is also fun and goes well with the normal rhythm boxing.

I usually use the Yoga/strength training as warm up exercises, then hit the cardio for 45mins - 1 hour, then do some of the balance games to cool down with. Seems to be working well so far! :happy:
  • amersmanders
    amersmanders Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting a Wii Fit. Still on the fence, but congratulations to all on here who have had success with it! It might be a good idea for fall and winter. I'll have to remember that.