Is this an ok diet?

Options
So I've lost 15 lbs with MFP, I'm down to 150. I don't really want to lose anymore weight, cause that's just too skinny, but I lost my neck fat, so yay.

Anyways, I've found keep my daily intake at 1500 calories a day is unbelievably easy, but the problem is it seems carb heavy. Heres an example of what I ate today.

Breakfast- 2 Eggs

Lunch- 8oz Chicken Breast on 2 Pieces of Bread
Lite Mayo
Avocado
Fat Free Swiss
2 servings of Cream Corn

Dinner- 2 Peanut Butter Sandwiches
Some animal crackers

Some Coffee Cream in there somewhere.

Anyways my diet today was exceptionally low, about 1300 calories, which was an accident. But I find myself eating alot of carbs. I love sandwiches, love oatmeal. I'm trying to drop a sandwich and replace it with veggies. Usually for lunch Id just eat some epic chicken sandwiches.

So my question is if I'm keeping my calories pretty low, is carb heavy nutrition something to worry about. I read somewhere like 130-140 carbs a day. Thats like so hard to hit, atleast for me. Lol

Replies

• mreed911
    mreed911 Posts: 25
    Options
    It's the bread. Swap it out for some low-carb tortillas, lettuce wrap, etc. The cream corn is carb/starch heavy, too. Two servings?

I'm REALLY trying to lower my carbs, but I travel a LOT. I'm currently about 20-25% of my diet on carbs, but I'd like to be 15%. I have noticed that when I earn a cheat day (but still under my weekly threshold) if I eat more carbs I'm hungrier, even though I'm eating more food. Switching to proteins really, really helps keep my hunger down.
  • katelouiseoz
    Options
    I have the same problem :(

mreed911 can you give me some tips on how you keep your % on carbs so low - mine works out at around 40% a week :(
  • samueloscar
    Options
    Well the cream corn is only 60 calories a serving, it was one of those tiny corns. Kroger only has the low sodium option for the stupid small cans

I hadn't thought about low-carb tortillas. Thanks! I really just want to eat Eggs for breakfast, Chicken For lunch, and Tilapia for dinner. Meats all day.
  • bigbrownkid
    Options
    i love carbs too, i love sandwiches, and indian food and asian food is all carbs. If you love carbs try to eat complex carbs, eat whole wheat bread, brown rice, whole wheat anything really. its more fiber and not as bad as the processed carbs.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Where are your fresh fruits and veggies!?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of cutting out (or going dramatically low) on any food group, so I wouldn't worry about the carbs - but I do think that you need to aim for variety and balance and that's not evident in the example you gave. Where are the fruit and veggies?

I'd suggest keeping a sandwich for one meal but replace the other with something like steak and salad, a casserole or soup with lots of veggies, a pasta dish (moderate serve of pasta with a sauce that contains protein and veggies)... or whatever other food you enjoy that isn't a sandwich!
  • megziejo
    megziejo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That's exactly my same thought. Where's the fruits and veg? You'll still get carbs from fruit but less than from breads etc. and I've found too many carbs just sets me up for sugar craving. Plus you need the nutrients from a variety of colors. Eat the rainbow (just not the skittles kind ;)
  • mreed911
    Options
    Fructose! Poison!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Fructose! Poison!

You can't be serious :noway:
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    There is insufficient information in order to assist you.
    You have no goals on Caloric Intake, nor what this consists of as a whole.

The key is moderation. If it fits into the numbers, you will lose. If it's too drastic of a loss, your body will eventually hit starvation mode, and then stop losing.

Be smart, eat well, exercise, and you will become healthier.
  • mreed911
    Options
    For me, you have to be willing to ingest more fat, and not try to go ZERO carb. Good fats, but more fat. I eat a lot of lean meat - chicken breast, 90/93/97 ground beef, egg whites, etc., but I'm also willing to eat a little fat with each meal to stretch out the digestion. When I do eat veggies it's a salad, and I make sure there's protein in the salad, whether it be a chef salad with ham and turkey or a chicken caesar. This morning's big breakfast was a cup of egg whites, a can of diced tomatoes (10 carbs for the can!) and a serving of pepperoni, mixed with fresh herbs and a little olive oil (half teaspoon). Like a breakfast pizza omelette. Sure, the pepperoni has saturated fats, but when I'm eating one serving instead of 10? Much healthier.

I also take fish oil, which helps the HDL/LDL ratio, and I use the Atkins bars for snacks. The sugars they do have are the alcohols, so they're lower carb in the long run.

My cheat day this week, though? I overdid the carbs and I'm feeling it today. Carbs make me hungry.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    That's exactly my same thought. Where's the fruits and veg? You'll still get carbs from fruit but less than from breads etc. and I've found too many carbs just sets me up for sugar craving. Plus you need the nutrients from a variety of colors. Eat the rainbow (just not the skittles kind ;)

EXACTLY.
  • mreed911
    Options
    http://www.thesuperherobody.com/weight-loss-resources/fructose-is-not-glucose/

Fructose tastes good; this is why we have it in everything i.e ketchup, pretzels, bread, orange juice. Lets make believe we just ate 120 kcal of sucrose which is equal to a glass of orange juice. So uptil now we have had 2 slices of bread, a shot of alcohol, and orange juice, all 120 kcal three different substrates. Sucrose is made up of one molecule of glucose and one of fructose.

60 of the 120 kcal belong to glucose; out of those 60, 12 go in the liver, and the other 48 go to the rest of the body. On the other hand all 60 kcal of fructose are metabolized by the liver because only the liver can metabolize fructose. So what do we call a foreign substance to your body that can only be metabolized by your liver and once inside causes various problems? A POISON.
  • 1984LMN
    1984LMN Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My carbs are higher than I want them too. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE sandwhiches. But my theory is with most the sandwhiches I make which involve avocado, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers and sprouts, whole slices of chicken breast or ham, random cheese, olive oild and cracked pepper make an awesome salad by removing the carb filled bread. Occasionally I will toss in a whole lot of cilantro and jalepenos to give it a south western kick.

I prefer to have fun with my food while trying to eat healthier and enjoy my food way more than eating simple fatty pastas.

Good Luck fellow sanwhich lover!