I think carbs hate me

Options
The very first week I started calorie counting here, 5 pounds seemed to melt off no matter what I ate as long as I kept the calories in the 1200-1500 bracket. Then things began to get tough and I quickly noticed a trend. If I ate less than 100 grams of carbs, I lost weight. If I ate 1200 calories and the 160 carbs as directed, I maintained. And if I went over, I of course gained. Such as yesterday where I was perfect in calories, fat, carbs, and protein as myfitnesspal suggested. I didn't do any work whatsoever and spent the day lounging. I didn't gain or lose even a fraction of a pound. I've almost completely cut out sweets from my diet, keeping to a square of dove dark chocolate, sugar in my coffee and once in a while splurging on a 100 calorie ice cream cone or the like.

Now, does this happen to anyone else? I've heard that some people are carb-sensitive when overweight and I'm wondering if my weight of 166 would be heavy enough to fit in that category. Is there a way I can lose weight while eating carbs? I LOVE carbs.

Replies

• huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yes - but all explainable.

Your first weeks as you start draining out the glucose from your system, you void a lot of water (3:1 water to glucose). Thus you see a big drop on the scale but a lot of it is water. Then, too many carbs consumed at times, which convert to glucose quite readily, you will retain water (again, in the 3:1 ratio). Don't read this as "Carbs are bad" but just make sure you keep them in line with your plan.

Sodium can also throw you in fits :)
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    It's water weight. Understand the difference between fat gain and water weight. Carbs cause you to hold water.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    If you love your carbs, plan them, space them out.
  • nae4nola
    Options
    Carbs do HATE ME. I am totally convinced!!!
  • LouiseRose92
    Options
    Any chance you're insulin-resistant?
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    The very first week I started calorie counting here, 5 pounds seemed to melt off no matter what I ate as long as I kept the calories in the 1200-1500 bracket. Then things began to get tough and I quickly noticed a trend. If I ate less than 100 grams of carbs, I lost weight. If I ate 1200 calories and the 160 carbs as directed, I maintained. And if I went over, I of course gained. Such as yesterday where I was perfect in calories, fat, carbs, and protein as myfitnesspal suggested. I didn't do any work whatsoever and spent the day lounging. I didn't gain or lose even a fraction of a pound. I've almost completely cut out sweets from my diet, keeping to a square of dove dark chocolate, sugar in my coffee and once in a while splurging on a 100 calorie ice cream cone or the like.

Now, does this happen to anyone else? I've heard that some people are carb-sensitive when overweight and I'm wondering if my weight of 166 would be heavy enough to fit in that category. Is there a way I can lose weight while eating carbs? I LOVE carbs.

It doesn't have anything to do with your weight, it is more about how well you metabolize carbs.

I worked out for 90 minutes 3-4x a week and followed the MFP suggested nutritional guidelines for 3 months. I lost 7 pounds.

I worked out for 60 minutes 3-4x a week, cut my carbs down to about 100g net a day, ate pretty much as many calories as I could within my carb limits...and lost almost 18lbs in 3 months.

About 8 years ago I was diagnosed as insulin resistant, but it was reversed with several months of lower carb eating. When I didn't lose much weight the first few months, I assumed it was back.
  • emmamiso5
    Options
    Read about diet for Endomorphs. I have cut out white carbs and doing much better from it.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    It is all crazy. I've cut my carbs and started mfp almost three weeks ago. I eat under 50 carbs day..and that includes 20 of them as sugar alcohols -- which according to some low carbers doesn't count as a carb. I thought the weight would fly off with no sugar or starches in my diet and eating 1200 calories a day....but not really. I think I'm losing the same as when I included complex carbs in my weight loss plan. However.. I'm sticking with it . Sooner or later..no sugar and starch should show up on the scale.

It is like a giant science experiment.