Last 10-5 lbs

Options
For those who are trying to lose the last 10-5 lbs, what did you set your weight loss goal to? I'm thinking of bumping down my weight loss to 0.5 lb a week and trying to eat back all of my exercise calories.Some days I find it hard to eat back all of my exercise cals, leaving me with 300 calories extra. I started 30 days Shred a week ago and ever since then I felt hungry eating 1400 calories a day. I never had this problem when I did the Leslie Sansone program and felt satiated with 1400 calories a day. I burn more calories doing Leslie Sansone WATP than Jillian Shred level 1. So why am I having this hunger problem all of the sudden?

Replies

• dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you weren't burning more on the Sansone program? What are you using to estimate your calorie burns? With only 5-10 lbs left to lose, you should think about switching to a 250 calorie deficit.
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I edited my post. Well according to my HRM I burn around 350-400 cals doing her 5 mile workouts, which is 88 minutes. I only burn 200 cals doing Shred Level 1.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The less you have to lose, the slower it will come off, particularly if you just want to lose fat and not muscle and associated water weight. Eat a healthy diet, eat plenty of protein, drink plenty of water, get plenty of exercise, run a 500 cal deficit per day with one to two refeeds per week (basically a cheat meal). Lifting weights will help as well and help you retain your muscle mass while losing the last of your fat.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Mark for possible useful references...
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I stopped looking at the scale and changed my goal to body fat % rather than weight. I'm shifting focus from more cardio to more strength/yoga/Pilates (still keeping a 4-5k run every morning). From what I've read, and my results in the past week (I've only been at this approach for a week) focusing less on cardio/calories burned and more on muscle building and body recomposition is an approach I'm confident in.

So far I've managed to get my body fat from 22% to 19ish% this way. I'm netting 1450 calories a day (I eat back my exercise calories, oh man do I eat 'em back) and I try to do it in 6ish meals/snacks of around 300 calories each. My abs are juuuuuust starting to peek through.
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll aim for a 200-250 cal deficit. Just to make sure, it's normal to see an initial gain when upping cal intake, right? I want to lose inches, not so much lbs. TBH, even if I drop the last 10 lbs, I don't think my body will look any different. That's why I am incorporating 30 days shred in my workout routine.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your bodyfat % is, but generally at around 17-20% for women and 8-12% for men (there's a lot of variability which is mainly due to genetic differences), your body really doesn't want to shed any more fat. There are a number of techniques for getting rid of those last few pounds, but the most widely accepted ones are weekly refeeds and resistance training while in a caloric deficit.

Resistance training is pretty straightforward. You create a calorie deficit, so your body needs to use stored energy. Normally, your body would burn both fat and muscle to make up for the deficit and as your body fat decreases the bio-availability of stored adipose tissue decreases, your muscle catabolism becomes more dominant, but if you're doing regular whole body resistance training, your body will prioritize muscle retention and mainly use fat stores to account for your energy deficit.

Now, the other part of this is your body's hormonal response. Basically, as your body fat approaches critically low levels (evolutionarily, this would be levels where you would not be able to sustain yourself for more than a few days without food), your body kind of panics and forces you to slow down through hormonal responses. You experience a decrease in IGF-1 (a growth factor hormone that plays a role in muscle growth in adults), fasted insulin levels and thyroid function with a corresponding decrease in basal metabolic rate. The refeeds are designed to combat the body's natural response to a calorie deficit at low body fat % by giving it a surplus of food once or twice a week to stimulate hormone production which leads to improved metabolic function during a prolonged calorie deficit. Your goal should be around 0.5lbs of fat loss per week, but you can and should run a higher deficit than 250 cal/day as long as you include refeeds. If you refeed twice a week to bring your daily totals on those days to +500 calories, and on all other days maintain a 500 calorie deficit, you will have a weekly deficit of 1500 calories which will lead to about 0.43 lbs of weight loss per week. The ratio of fat to lean body mass lost in that number is controlled mainly by protein intake and whether you engage in whole body resistance training. It averages about 85/15% in obese subjects, but the ratio gets worse as body fat % decreases. However, with proper nutrition and progressive resistance training, ratios of 90/10 or better can be achieved.