HRM...Yes or no?

Options
I keep reading posts about heart rate monitors. Is this something I should get? If so, what would I need it for? Sorry to sound so ignorant about this but, for the first time in my life, I am completely dedicated to losing weight & I want to make sure I'm doing it right. I was also wondering if I need to get a blood glucose monitor? I'm not diabetic or anything but if this is something I need to be keeping track of, please let me know. Blood pressure monitor? Again, no BP issues but am really curious about what people use to aid their weight loss in a healthy manner.

Replies

• johnsnana
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about being "perfect" or you can set yourself up for failure. Of course you want to give it 100% every day but if you slip up & eat something you shouldn't you don't want to feel so guilty that you quit or binge out of guilt.
    The glucose monitor would be if you are cutting carbs drastically & want to monitor your blood sugar level to monitor ketosis. I don't think you need it. What diet are you doing, calorie count, atkins, south beach?
  • l_beakley
    Options
    No "diet" really, I'm a vegan that is learning portion control. I was a vegetarian for about 2 years & went vegan about 8 months ago. My problem is that I have a sit down job & I've found all kinds of vegan junk food! I'm basically learning to eat right.
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a HRM and it is amazing! I was MFP's numbers to estimate how many calories I burned during workouts and it turns out MFP was normally under by over a 100 calories. It gives me a much better idea as to what I truely burn in a day and helps me plan my food better for the day.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor is a fun, handy tool that provides feedback on how hard your heart is working during exercise. It's especially helpful if you do interval training. But don't take the estimated calories burned too seriously.

Glucose monitor -- Diabetes runs in my family, and I've considered getting one. Not essential though, I'd imagine, unless you are pre-diabetic. Ask your doctor.

BP monitor -- If you have high BP or hypertension or stroke run in your family, it couldn't hurt. Again, ask your doctor.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    HRM Yes!
    I try to be as accurate as I can be with the food I take in, (knowing there is no such think has Perfect accuracy).
    The HRM lets me be as accurate as technology allows with the calories I burn during exercise. Since i want calories used to exceed calories consumed, its good to know what those two numbers are.
    The calories burned displayed on a machine at the gym or given by MFP have often been much different than what the HRM gives. I use the HRM figures.