Should I stop workig out?

Options
Ok I'm new to this process but understand that need 1200 calories a day to lose weight. I am finding since I started exercising and burning calories I am having a hard time hitting the 1200 (which is more like 1700). Now I'd love to chow down on junk food or have a few beers to make up the difference but that seems counter productive. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Replies

• runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Some days I net 1200, some days I don't.

I don't think anyone would recommend that you stop working out. If you're losing weight and feeling good, no problem. If you're hungry, at a plateau or gaining, you may actually need to eat more.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You probably need more than 1200 calories...and I don't think you should stop working out.

Try reading this and see if it helps:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    try to fill that gap with things like nuts, PB, and avocado. 2oz of cashews is a little over 300 calories!
  • CaitEterry
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, I find doing little snack and having peanut butter is really helpful. It fills you up and takes some calories without making you feel full!
  • ktanne1
    ktanne1 Posts: 11
    Options
    thanks guys! I feel sort of silly having the problem that I'm not eating ENOUGH glad to see I'm not the only one.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat junk or drink alcohol to fill the extra calories. 20 almonds is about 120 calories, two tablespoons of natural peanut butter is around 190-200 calories, a 4oz home made turkey burger on a wheat bun with a slice of cheese is around 340-375 calories, a bowl of my all natural home made brown rice jambalaya is 476 calories, two scrambled eggs with 1oz of diced avocado, fresh salsa, some shredded cheddar, and a serving of low fat sour cream is around 340-350 calories, a 6oz chicken breast covered in a home made ricotta cheese sauce with 5oz of home made home fries of sweet potatoes, peppers, and onions with a large steamed artichoke and dipping sauce was 526 calories, and I could go on and on.

There's tons of really good, healthy, food that you can eat that's calorie dense (like the almonds, avocado, cheese, and peanut butter) that you can either eat on it's own, or use to add into meals with other items like the chicken breast, ground turkey breast, and veggies to make a really satisfying snack or meal.

Don't look at the additional calories as a need, look at them as an opportunity to get to eat some really good food to fuel your body for the next workout. :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! I feel sort of silly having the problem that I'm not eating ENOUGH glad to see I'm not the only one.

there are some days that I feel like I have to eat like it is my JOB. I know I broke 2600 calories one day--and the highest I have started with is 1590--thats over 1000 calories in exercise calories!!