Hypothyroid

Anyone with tips or experience losing weight with hypothyroidism? Currently on synthroid.

Replies

• findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    I exercise 5-6 days a week with either Insanity or JM30DS. I am not having any issue losing weight as long as I stick to my recommended calorie intake...sometimes I eat my exercise calories back and sometimes I don't....I eat when I am hungry. I am also trying to each clean"er" than before passing on the white sugar, flour, and preservatives (such as fake sugar), but once in a while I will have some if I am out to dinner....but I allot for it in my calories (love me a fresh piece of Italian bread and some EVOO). I have had hypothyroid for 17 years and for me the exercise is the KEY! Good Luck.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    My doctor suggested I focus on fitness, maintaining a high overall activity level and making healthy choices. She told me that if I focus on weight loss I might be discouraged by slow progress. So I average around 1500 a day before excercise and work on toning moves to build strength, and have been please with my slow but niticable progress, even if I am not dropping pounds too fast, I have lost 2 inches from my waist.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    A lot of us here take Synthroid and exercise. We work with what we have.
  • ktkiffer
    ktkiffer Posts: 21 Member
    Interested in the responses... I've been struggling with losing weight since diagnosed with hypothyroidism a year ago. For me, I've had to exercise 6 days a week AND cut my calorie intake drastically (1300) in order to see any change. My endocrinologist hasn't been super helpful with diet recommendations... I've read on the internet about goitrogens, but am not sure if I should pay heed to the warnings.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    If you search the groups, we have a lovely hypothyroid/hyperthyroid group that I think might be helpful for a lot of you. The basic problem is that even though we all have thyroid issues, what works for one doesn't work for all. The most generic advice is to cut down on carbs - bread, rice, pasta. Some folks have to practically eliminate it from their diets. For me, as long as I don't eat it every day, I'm fine.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    honestly, I have seen much better results by changing from 1200 cal and heavy cardio to 1500+ and a shorter cardio sessions 2-3 days a week and a circut strength training routine 5-6 days. which is what my endocrinologist suggested, I pay moderate attention to goitragens, and get my levels hecked often.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    As someone who's dealt with it for more than a decade (I'm only 23, and my thyroid was removed), my biggest words of advice: don't get stressed or frustrated, it'll only make weight gain/weight loss problems worse. Weight loss is SLOW. Your metabolism is being slowed, or even halted, so things make a difference.

Big things? If Synthroid doesn't seem to work, talk to your endo about switching medications or dosages. Lots of people have good luck with Armour, or Cytomel on top of other thyroid drugs. Watch your carbs. Try to check your adrenals.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Honestly I have hypothyroid and take Synthroid for it and am supposed to be gaining weight, but haven't been able to. I lose easily now that my levels are stable. Honestly, I think its all about not stressing and just trusting that your doctors and body will fix itself. Plus, what's more important....being healthy and living a healthy lifestyle stress-free from worries about a medical condition you really can't control, or worrying about if you are doing the right things to fix your thyroid. Leave the thyroid to the doctors and just worry about healthy eating and exercise. Oh, and with Synthroid I have an alarm and take it at 3:30 am. Sounds crazy, but it made my labs amazing :)
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    I take mine about the same time - 3am ish but my body wakes me up on its own. Never needed an alarm.

Had my appt today though for the more full workup (annual physical one) and he was shocked at the poor progesterone level I had. WAY out of whack, he said.

So...now I must take DHEA, T3, T4 AND progesterone. Since I'm still having issues with being tired and whatnot, we shall see what this does. I also have not lost any weight at all. Started to, then it stopped again, despite whatever I do.

Supposedly, it'll help with bloating, as well. We shall see....
  • sallray
    sallray Posts: 6
    @lemlangley... What is the name of your group?
  • heidihurl
    heidihurl Posts: 138 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

Here's the group I use here on MFP. Good advice overall from all sorts of people
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Honestly I have hypothyroid and take Synthroid for it and am supposed to be gaining weight, but haven't been able to. I lose easily now that my levels are stable. Honestly, I think its all about not stressing and just trusting that your doctors and body will fix itself. Plus, what's more important....being healthy and living a healthy lifestyle stress-free from worries about a medical condition you really can't control, or worrying about if you are doing the right things to fix your thyroid. Leave the thyroid to the doctors and just worry about healthy eating and exercise. Oh, and with Synthroid I have an alarm and take it at 3:30 am. Sounds crazy, but it made my labs amazing :)

I hate speeches like this. You didn't have the infamous side-effect of hypothyroidism, and you claim that it's "about not stressing and trusting your doctors." Atypical =/= typical. You're LUCKY, not NORMAL.

I've said in other thyroid posts, and many people know this: we are the guinea pigs. We are the people dealing with doctors who have roughly three decades of research on thyroid (and even less for adrenals), when diabetes has been known for centuries, the reproductive system has milleniums of knowledge, etc. Doctors are still LEARNING. The thyroid and adrenal "normal" ranges have been severely adjusted in the last DECADE (thyroid was only in the last two years). There's credence to trusting your doctor, but there is also much benefit in trusting your BODY, researching for YOURSELF, and not preaching misinformation!
  • slieber
    Just had my results of blood work. I am now on 50mg per day of bio-identical progesterone. So that makes it levothroid, liothyronine, DHEA and this progesterone.

I have not lost any weight all summer long, despite dancing up to four hours a day and doing weights (although I haven't been to the gym for that for two weeks, recently). I also have had extreme tiredness but no joint aches (as happens when my thyroid starts begging for more help).

Anyone have any insight into all this? I've done searches on the internet and don't quite understand what effect all this should have or how they should all interact.
  • slieber
    Bump. Anyone?