Can't seem to get back in the flow of things. Please help!

Options
When i first started using myfittnesspal i was losing weight pretty well. But, one day i just didn't force myself to exercise and since then i just can't seem to get back into it. when i was exercising i felt great and was really happy with the weight that i had lost. But one day, im not sure why, but i just lost the motivation to exercise anymore. Please help! how can i make it easier for myself to stay motivated and keep exercising? I am really struggling with keeping motivated, or start being motivated for that matter, with exercising.

Replies

• lindserly
    lindserly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Haven't been to the gym since mid June, and even then it was just a couple times in June. Need to get back into it in a big way. Was still losing without but now have started to gain again. I'm trying to force myself to get to the gym tonight.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Th hardest part of my day, is getting to the gym. Once, I am there, it's easy to work out.

Do you need friends to modivate you? What helps for me is reading my status updates.

Everyone seems to burn boat loads cailories. With that, it modivates me to work out.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much help I can be. I am struggling to get my eating back on track and exercise. Just know you aren't alone.
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Start off small, seriously, just stick to a diet plan, then after a while start adding in excersize etc

I know it seems to most that it won't make a difference, but changing too much of your routine too quickly can cause you to back track.

I started off just dieting, then started doing weights twice a week, now I do weights and kickboxing and dieting, its so much easier to start one thing at a time and turn that in to a habbit before you jump right in.

One step, is still a step.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    hi there, well we all have times like that some times its a day or to but can last a week dont give in to it you can do it start off slowly and then you will get back in the mood
  • SlimPossible8
    SlimPossible8 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    try something new. If you have to force yourself to do something you hate everyday you wont last long. We all go through phases trust me. The key is not to let one or two bad days ruin your whole week. I agree with above ^^^^^^^^ start small and focus on your meals then gradually get back into a workout routine. Try some new things and see what you like. Try swimming, volleyball, walking, biking, hiking, dvds, dance games, zumba, even walking up and down your stairs a number of times in a row a few times a day to start. Youll get there if you keep your mind to it and keep coming to MFP for support. :flowerforyou:
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Fake it until you make it.

Just start exercising. Make it a rule that you can't take 2 days off in a row. Then work out every other day. Keep doing it until it becomes a habit. You can always add on later (like every 3day is a strength training day, or you must do extra cardio on days that have an R in them)
  • lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I think you need to challenge yourself and preplan to do
    some/any exercise everyday.
    If I'm not in the mood to go to the gym, I pop my gym clothes
    on anyway then I feel silly just hanging around ready for a
    workout. It really IS easier once you're at the gym/track/start
    of your walk.
    I hate the buildup to exercise so I pre pack my gym bag and
    lay out my workout clothes in advance to try and ease the pain.
    Even if it is a walk around the block - the first step is the
    hardest - after that it's easy
    Good luck
    Nicola xxx
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    ARE YOU GOING TO QUIT?

Yes- Then this has no point except to soothe your way into talking yourself into finally logging out for good.

No- KEEP TELLING YOURSELF. And you won't. The body becomes what the mind believes. If you're not going to quit... your body won't quit. Keep going. Stop giving yourself excuses and/or lies and get on with being better.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Were you doing exercise that you like? Or that you hate? Try something different, something new. Maybe it'll make you excited to go back.
  • aimforpeace
    aimforpeace Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I trick myself into a workout somedays. If I don't really want to go out for a bike ride or walk I force myself to go, but give myself permission to quit after 10 minutes if I'm still really hating it. Usually I get out there and decide it isn't so bad and keep going. Even when I quit and go home after 10 minutes (which almost never happens), at least I've done it for 10 minutes and kept up with the routine. Maybe it would work for you too?
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I stopped going to the gym late June whenihurt myself. Since then I have been walking/jogging outside of theg gym. Iritis raing at the mall for a hour, if sunny a jog/walk outside for a hour. I also workout for 30 min before leaving the house (push ups, sit ups, leg lifts, etc) then at work at my desk throughout the day (squats, lunges, calf raises, lifting my water bottle, side bends, etc) at the end of the day I burn an extra 900 cals/day. Now two other colleagues are doing it with me and it feels awesome. I usually go to the gym for lifting, cardio is just so boring at the gym and if I walked 30 min away, I will have to walk 30 min back. Good luck beautiful and always love yourself thin xoxo
  • Ekaette07
    Ekaette07 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. When I started on here it was with 2 of my close friends. We were each other's support system along with the other mfp friends I made. However, after dropping 30lbs it seemed like everyone fell off our original individual goals. I just started back about 3-4 weeks ago and invitied my friends to refocus with me, but made sure they understood that I was going to do it with or without them.

After losing the 30lbs I guess I just became complacent, but going to the doctor and being put on blood pressure medicine again after being taken off for dropping some weight made me realize I was regressing. This weight loss journey, for me is about staying alive and enjoying life. There are things I haven't done that I want to do, but my weight is definitely holding me back. I want to travel, but I don't want to have to buy 2 plane tickets to be comfortable. I want to wear a bikini and cross my legs and for once be comfortable in my own skin. This is about putting what I want and myself first for once.

I'd say start slow, for me I began by getting back into my water drinking, then I moved to food, and then I moved to exercise. And when those "I don't feel like exercising days happen, and they will happen; I ask myself if I want to live the fullest life I can or would I rather be in constant threat of developing some weight resultant condition?" I want to live and love life.

I don't know of this helps you but maybe find a mantra that encourages you.
  • allsetnow
    Options
    I know someone who is in his late 60s now and has not missed a single day of running in the last 30+ years. Not a single day. Not when it was snowing. Not when he had the flu. Not on his wedding day or the day his daughters were born. While that may be extreme, the way he got there helped me be more consistent in my exercise: he said he got tired of asking himself every day whether he was going to go running or not. Was the weather too hot? Was he too tired? Did he have time? Was there a good running path where he was? Etc., etc. So one day he decided he was just going to run, no matter what, no matter how he felt, no matter where he was. No excuses, no thinking about it. Just do it (though I would probably draw the line at the flu thing).

I also read somewhere that you are more likely to exercise consistently during the week if you exercise on a Monday. Don't know exactly why, but that seems to help me too.
  • somemansdream
    Options
    These guys really seemed to have a lot of good ideas. I have come to the idea that really motivation is a myth. Waiting for motivation to strike and only doing what needs to be on days your motivated is like saying I have to wait for my whim to inspire me...uh huh..see how far that gets a person---personal experience on my part will tell you it does not get anyone very far. For someone like me, it needs to be like what someone here already said, programming--doing it anyway and not giving a chance for excuses.
    My biggest tip when I slip off that wagon and drag myself in the dirt--is do something--anything to start that ball rolling again!
    Good luck, Debbie
  • twinmom1993
    Options
    I know someone who is in his late 60s now and has not missed a single day of running in the last 30+ years. Not a single day. Not when it was snowing. Not when he had the flu. Not on his wedding day or the day his daughters were born. While that may be extreme, the way he got there helped me be more consistent in my exercise: he said he got tired of asking himself every day whether he was going to go running or not. Was the weather too hot? Was he too tired? Did he have time? Was there a good running path where he was? Etc., etc. So one day he decided he was just going to run, no matter what, no matter how he felt, no matter where he was. No excuses, no thinking about it. Just do it (though I would probably draw the line at the flu thing).

I also read somewhere that you are more likely to exercise consistently during the week if you exercise on a Monday. Don't know exactly why, but that seems to help me too.

Now this is motivation!!!:bigsmile:
  • tcrawford112
    Options
    Thanks everyone! i will take all your advice and try to see what happens. i will try starting out slow. Like most of you said it will makeit easier to do one thing at a time and gradually put it alltogether. I am thinking about doing what one member told me to do and start out with the water first, then the food, and then the exercise. Im sure that if i do this and start off slow i will be able to make it easier for myself and not feel the way i do now. Thanks again to all of you!!!:happy:
  • tcrawford112
    Options
    Were you doing exercise that you like? Or that you hate? Try something different, something new. Maybe it'll make you excited to go back.

The only thing that i have been doing is running. I also stretch before every workout ad warm up with push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks, etc. thats mostly for a warm up though to get my heart rate up.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    you sound like my mom. I have the exact same conversation with her every couple months. and every couple months I tell her the same thing..... Just freaking do it. If you KNOW that eating right and exercising make you feel better - then do it. period. The motivation has to come from within. If you rely on others for motivation you will fail every time.

Not being harsh, just being real.

What has kept me going - and still keeps me going - is HOW GOOD I FEEL, not the weight loss.