I STILL have 800 calories to eat again today!! How?????

Options

Replies

• Coming4U
    Coming4U Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think this is to lose weight not pile on a high calorie snack to eat up calories
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Your meals are tiny! I would suggest eating larger meals throughout the day. I hope this doesn't sound snarky, but 180 calories isn't dinner... it's a snack - especially with the amount of time you spend exercising!

I'm not sure about your current height/weight, but it looks like you don't have much to lose. I'm a couple years older than you, I weigh 137, I'm 5'9" and have 20% body fat. I eat 2300-2700 calories a day. When I was actively trying to lose weight, I was eating about 1900-2100 calories a day.

I think you might do better eating more throughout the day and more calories overall. :smile:
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    damn that bomb sounds REALLY good!!!!
    never considered that i was in starvation mode - gonna add in nuts, avacado, oils tomorrow and see how that goes. i'm usually just not hungry - or, with 5 kids, too busy to realize i forgot to eat something!

you're not in starvation mode. And always remember, people who are starving still lose weight....
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Your meals are tiny! I would suggest eating larger meals throughout the day. I don't want to sound snarky, but 180 calories isn't dinner... it's a snack - especially with the amount of time you spend exercising!

AMEN!
  • darias_mommy
    darias_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    damn that bomb sounds REALLY good!!!!
    never considered that i was in starvation mode - gonna add in nuts, avacado, oils tomorrow and see how that goes. i'm usually just not hungry - or, with 5 kids, too busy to realize i forgot to eat something!

I'm a mom of 2 kids and believe me- I can forget to eat. I also have the same problem of not hitting my calories and it is really starting to concern me. i just did a REPORT of my nutrition for the last 30 days and saw that most of them I only retained about 600-700 calories because of my excersize deficit. i am confused as all hell- I mean- if I eat closr to my goal but workout then I deserve a deficit, right? Isn't that how you loseeight, BUT when I saw it on the chart it was a very bleak reality.

SOMEONE who is qualified as a nutritionist or doctor or something please explian this. There is no way that I am in starvation mode and neither is the girl who started this thread. We both have fat stores. Starvation- really?? HELP!
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say listen to your body. I stopped counting calories and started listening, meaning when I'm actually hungry then I eat and when I'm not I don't feel the need to shovel in food because a website or clock or person tells me I need to be eating. I'm more aware of portions now that I don't count calories and I also eat much slower. I've been a fast eater since I was a baby and would eat so fast sometimes I would eat so much that I would just feel so uncomfortable and eat far too much. I make it an effort now to eat slower and now I really enjoy my food and stop when I'm full. For me I feel that my body knows best when it wants food and when it doesn't. Everyone is different and different things work for different people so test things out and do what works for you :smile:
  • stephirocks2012
    Options
    You do not have to eat another 800 calories. Just stay with the deficit and drop the weight!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i also forgot to mention that your appetite is not necessarily a good guide to go by in terms of when and what you need to eat. appetite is controlled by hormones and if those hormones are off then your appetite will be as well.

there was a point when my appetite was telling me i needed 7-8K worth of calories a day but i gained weight because that's not what my BODY needed. there are also times when because of my workouts (I do few HIIT sessions a week and HIIT affects the hormone that control appetite) i dont have an appetite. this doesnt mean that my body doesnt need those calories, it means that something is off with the hormones that control appetite.

so eat your food. dont pay attention to your appetite because it can lie to you
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Try eating more during the day, add oatmeal for breakfast, increase your meat consumption add nuts, oils, avocados ect... Stop choosing the lightest options of things especially with you heavy workouts, your body needs more calories to feed your muscles.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    As someone that is steadily stilll losing weight, I highly recommend ALWAYS eating back the calories you exercise. You should never deprive your body of the nutrients it needs for basic biological functions. After all, I assume you're on MFP, to take care of your body, not to just loose weight... Atleast I hope so.
    Figure out your BMR with the calculator on my fitness pal and never go under that. I always enter my exercise I'm planning to do, in advance, before I eat anything that day so I know how to plan my day. If you haven't adjusted your macro nutrients I would suggest you change them to near a 40% carbohydrate, 30% protein and 30% fat ratio... Or close to that. I'm a vegetarian so it's real hard for me to do that exact split, but I aim for 50/25/25. Eat more snacks throughout your day. Choose calorie dense foods if necessary such as a 1/4 cup of nuts or nut butter, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, protein drinks, Greek yogurts, or things like Kind Bars, and other protein type bars and smoothies.
    I am 43 went from original heaviere weight of 204 to my current weight of 141. I am 5'6.5". I spin twice/week, take boot camp, Pilates, run, hike, and most importantly lift heavy weights. I eat roughly 1700-2000 calories a day before I deduct my exercise calories.. After that it's about 1430, which is about 100 calories higher than my calculated BMR and I am still loosing!
    Good luck!
  • snugsmontreal
    Options
    the starvation mode is a biggie, you will hold on to excess weight because your body isn't actually getting enough. also you are eating a good amount of protein (if you are doing double cardio you need more protein than MFP recommends.) i know for myself personally i do a HIGH fiber (35 grams a day) and low-moderate carbs, i try to aim for 300 cals of exercise a day and i have been losing the weight at just a little faster than the estimates in my goals. (i don't eat back my exercise carbs)

on an extra note i noticed your water is not added in, if you are not drinking the recommended 8 glasses, or 2 liters/half gallon a day your body will actually hold excess water making you have a significant amount of water weight that will be relatively quickly lost once you up your amount of intake of water per day. you will pee more, so plan to be out with 5 kids and near a bathroom, but you might see an improvement on the weight front by just watching those 2 things (starvation and dehydration)
  • steelnfl
    steelnfl Posts: 10
    Options
    I noticed you didn't have any water logged. Be sure to drink plenty of water. I am drinking 128 ounces a day and it seems to be working.
  • twonkieone
    twonkieone Posts: 132
    Options
    well - as far as tiny meals .... the 1 1/2 cups of stuffed pepper soup felt like I ate 4 cups! no way i could add anything else. in fact, i waited an extra 45 minutes to go to gym because i was stuffed myself! :)

what i'm doing now as far as food and exercise i've always done - and, obviously, something is not clicking. i don't have anything to really "give up" (ie i don't drink pop, eat chips once in a blue moon, don't use salad dressing.....) --- so maybe need to figure out better portions or things to add in for more balance
  • twonkieone
    Options
    i forgot --- probably had 10+ cups today !!
  • MissyAZjourney
    MissyAZjourney Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry? If so, eat. If not. don't. Listen to your body.

oh praise god finally someone with sense ^^^this. if we all did this there wouldn't be any weight problems. and we includes me...if I had done this I wouldn't have a weight problem.
  • floersh21
    Options
    Actually I want to echo some other things people are saying and share my personal experience:

Awhile back I was not losing weight even though I was exercising and on a really low calorie diet. I got the advice about increasing my calories. When I upped my calories I dropped 5 lbs almost immediately. Also, incorporate more healthy fats: avocados, nuts, olive oil. They are amazing for your skin tone and texture. And your body is probably in starvation mode.

(: Good luck
    That's literally EXACTLY what happened to me.
  • ap472111
    Options
    Almost everyday I have about 800 calories left and I never feel that I'm starving myself. I think its great that you do back to back classes some days, I do the same and I always feel great after. Do what makes you feel good, if you feel that is what you want to do then do it :)
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Nice job with the protein. I have trouble getting enough protein, and I take protein more seriously when I run hard. It looks like your minimum is 1200, so you are only 200 under. It will lecture you about starvation mode if you are under 1200. I like the almonds suggestion. Don't eat junk just to fill. Almonds are high calorie and not too filling. Good luck!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'd eat like 20 oreo cookies.
  • twonkieone
    Options
    @ momma - i sooooo would do that if i had them.... or wine ~ think i'd get 1/2 the bottle!!!