Why can't I drink 8 glasses of water?

Options
Since starting this program, I think I have only drank 3 glasses tops in a day. Anyone else struggling with this?

Replies

• llowry
    llowry Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Me too! I manage 4 glasses a day and that is all I can seem to do. I'm just not thirsty and I don't have the time to be running to the ladies room all day. Because my job seems to get in the way! :happy: But, I am trying!! Good luck!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I am there too! It is hard because with substitute teaching there are times where you can't use the restroom for 3+ hours. So, I'd rather not have to pee every 30 minutes when I can't leave the students alone.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    How big are your glasses? The recommendation is 8 CUPS of water. A lot of glasses may encompass 1.5 to 2 cups of water, in which case you may be close to your daily allowance, although if you are exercising, more is recommended.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I am there too! It is hard because with substitute teaching there are times where you can't use the restroom for 3+ hours. So, I'd rather not have to pee every 30 minutes when I can't leave the students alone.

I work at a school too, so I know just what you mean. :smile: What I do though is as soon as I get home from school, I down 3 or 4 glasses of water right in a row. Then I try to get in another 2 or 3 before 6:00, since I don't want to be peeing all night! :noway: :laugh:
  • megstar8686
    megstar8686 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to have a big glass of water before I eat anything in the morning, at lunch and before dinner, as it makes you feel fuller so you don't eat as much. It took a while to get used to, but you just have to train your body I think. As well as this, I carry my drink bottle everywhere, and sip on it all day. But I used to struggle too. Give your body time to adjust. You do get used to it :smile:
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I don't drink anything but water. I find that I don't have time to squeeze in anything else. At first, yes, you will be running to the bathroom frequently. It's because the water is doing it's job and flushing out your system. Once your body adjusts though, you won't be running to the bathroom as often. It's just a hurdle you have to cross. Find tools that help you though. For instance, I can't have a huge bottle because it's overwhelming. Instead I have a cup that actually has ounces marked on the outside. I fill that up with 8 ounces at a time. I drink it with every meal. I'm a heavy drinker though, so I usually get two in at each meal. So that's 6. I've read in a lot of health magazines that although it's important to get your 8 cups of water in on a normal day, that you need to spread that out. You don't get the full benefit if you down multiple cups at a time. Again, I think you just have to find what works for you. Change it up a bit until you find a routine that works for you.
  • Amberly10
    Amberly10 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I hate water. Even the flavored waters, I hate. I have found though that I can drink it more if it is super cold and it can't be tap water. So, I bought a PUR water filter that goes on the faucet. I also got a water bottle that holds 32oz . I fill up my water bottle at night before I go to bed with the filtered water and put it in the fridge. Then I just drink from it throughout the day, especially if I start to feel hungry and it isn't time to eat.

The first day or 2 I only drank about half but before long by the end of the night it was empty. Maybe try doing something like that?
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If you make sure water is your only beverage, it's easier to fit in more, but that means giving up coffee and soda.
  • nevillejohnb
    Options
    thats a good point. we have a contract with coca cola and they provide us with 12oz bottles of water, so I am getting about 36-48oz of H2O a day.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I also have trouble drinking 8 glasses a day. I do it...but it is a struggle. I can't stand drinking water..actually I am not much of a drinker at all. Any drinks, at a restaraunt, at home, etc. I only take shots and I'm good.
    Anyhow, the only thing that helps me is forcing myself to drink 4-6 glasses at work and then the rest is at the gym. Once I work up a sweat and I am thirsty, I can get about 6 more glasses in with 1 1/2 at the gym. If I have an off gym day....I will not drink any more water when I get home from work.....it's tough.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Do't forget that it is CUPS not glasses. Most average sized water bottles (the smaller ones) are 16 oz. which means it's 2 cups. So you only need to drink 4 of those throughout your entire day to meet the requirement.

I HATE water too so I drink a lot of green tea. I do drink about 2 of those bottles during and after working out so I think I'm fairly close to meeting my goal.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with drinking water. before joining the site, i realized that i was only having like 2 cups a day. :huh: But then i made an effort to start drinking all my water for the day. at first i was leaving EVERY class during school to go to the bathroom. but i think i've somehow gotten used to it. i was surprised at the differences i noticed by drinking more water. i feel more full, my digestion doesn't bother me anymore, i get less fatigue and headaches, and even my skin and nails seem healthier since i started drinking more water. i'm thankful that i realized that before i was dehydrating myself. drink up! :drinker:
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I started off thinking 8 cups meant 8 glasses as well and ending up drinking a lot more water than I needed to, but hey, that was even better.

I have not been drinking any other beverage but water since 12/01/09.
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    How big are your glasses? The recommendation is 8 CUPS of water. A lot of glasses may encompass 1.5 to 2 cups of water, in which case you may be close to your daily allowance, although if you are exercising, more is recommended.

I started off thinking 8 cups meant 8 glasses as well and ending up drinking a lot more water than I needed to, but hey, that was even better.

I have not been drinking any other beverage but water since 12/01/09.
  • greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    I am not a big fan of water but I found something that helps: True Lemon Packets. It's 0 calories, nothing artificial, it's just crystalized lemon. They are a little hard to find, but well worth it.
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    This is a good article to read to all of those having trouble with drinking water. I found it very insightful. I still aim for my 8 glasses a day, but if I don't get there then I'm ok with it.

http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/water-water-everywhere-feature