Tips For Morning Workouts????

Options
So...I am wanting to start working out in the mornings before work. Whether it be an unexpected invite to dinner somewhere, a horrible headache from work, an unexpected dinner to run, or just being too tired...i always seem to have a "good excuse" to skip my workout in the evenings. Im hoping that if I start working out before work, it will just become part of my normal getting-ready-for-the-day routine. Any tips on helping make this happen?

Replies

• QueChulaYo
    Options
    i have 1/2 can of Rockstar 0 calories/...... and hit the pavement running, with my 2 dogs a good 45-60 mins run give you a great morning burn..
  • JennyNotSoSkinny
    JennyNotSoSkinny Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just try it once!!!! On the day you do it, look at all that you accomplish in the evening that would have otherwise been spent working out!! I love getting out early and getting it done because it's out of the way and the rest of the day (after work) is for me. And it does seem to put me in a better mood during the day as well.
  • Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    Options
    I used to call it my "Mourning Workout" but not any more. I have come to where I enjoy now. It was hard at first but now I look forward to it. Doing my workout in the morning means I have my workout done and anything else during the day is just bonus! After a few weeks it's become habit. Good luck with it!
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Mine is exactly what you said "part of getting ready for the day". I have been doing that for a few months now. It's out of the way first thing and if I can't work out for some reason, I miss it.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Any tips on helping make this happen?

Change your alarm to an hour earlier and when it goes off, haul your butt outa bed. :flowerforyou:
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I started going to the gym by 5:30am 3 times a week for the same reasons as you, and I hated it for at least a couple of months. But I kept at it because I LOVED that I would walk out of that gym at 7am and feel like I could take on the world! Now, I actually look forward to my gym mornings. I love that it's dark when I leave and most people aren't even awake. I love that when I'm walking OUT of the gym there are people just walking in and I. am. done.

The only downside is having to be in bed by 9:30 pm so my evenings are kinda shortened.

But stick with it for at least a month and you just might love it! :)
  • TMF1123
    TMF1123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Since joining mfp i've been getting up and jogging before work - the best part is i have tons of energy, the polution is lower, traffic is lighter and i see the difference in performance between 5:00 am and 6:00 pm. get yourself a cool tool/toy to help motivate you -- i use nike+ running (free ap). Jump in and do it, you are so worth it.
  • dnfaith
    dnfaith Posts: 13
    Options
    I failed this morning. lol. I set my alarm for 5:15 and ended up resetting it after it went off. I always feel weak and stiff in the mornings. Im so frustrated with myself! grrrr
  • johnnyash
    Options
    I failed this morning. lol. I set my alarm for 5:15 and ended up resetting it after it went off. I always feel weak and stiff in the mornings. Im so frustrated with myself! grrrr

Let yourself slip sometimes but remember that you could take the nastiest b'tard in the world and he wouldn't beat you up as hard as you do yourself.

Weak and stiff soon disappears when you get going. Make it the same as having to breathe...if you don't do it, you'll die:)
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Its simple get up and go, I'm at the gym when It opens every day at 5am. If I miss my morning workout my whole day feels wrong.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    For me, if I hit snooze it's all over. When my alarm goes off at 4:00 am I have to put my feet on the floor as soon as possible. That's the hardest part.

I started doing early morning workouts last year as I wanted to be able to spend time with my family in the evenings. When I started out I was getting up at 5:00 and doing very simple 30 minute videos and stuff so the workout wasn't really intense but I was making the habit of getting up early and getting active. After a while I had moved on to doing longer videos so I moved my wake up time to 4:30 and just kept easing it back until it's where it is now. Now I do some early morning workouts and some afternoon workouts.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I know your pain. I have a rather long commute to work every day, so I have to get up (out of the bed) by 4:30 so I have time to stretch before and shower after. It sucks real bad at first just to be up that early. Now I like being up and getting the exercise in but my body is still angry with me so I have to stretch a lot. It gets easier every day, so soon it should be great.

Since we have a 3 year old there isn't anything after 9:00 except TV anyhow, so we aren't missing anything going to bed earlier.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Its simple get up and go, I'm at the gym when It opens every day at 5am. If I miss my morning workout my whole day feels wrong.

This is it basically.

Just do it. Do it enough and it will feel bad not to do it.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Put your alarm clock across the room so you have to get out of bed in order to turn it off. Once you are up get dressed and get going. Your body will adjust but it'll take some time. Go to bed an hour or two earlier to make up for getting up earlier.
  • Mad4282
    Mad4282 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Just do it! If you are someone who needs something in their stomach before a workout, make sure you give yourself enough time to eat a little something and digest before you workout. Before you know it, you will be waking up before your alarm goes off :) Good luck!
  • racbergs
    racbergs Posts: 72
    Options
    You just have to do it! Move your alarm clock to the far side of the room, and keep your workout stuff right next to it. That way you're already out of bed and have all your stuff ready to go :). For me, once I have my sneakers on and my hair tied up that's it, there's no turning back, now I HAVE to workout.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've found for me that when I have this feeling of "I HAVE TO DO THIS" I tend to be less apt to reset the alarm and sleep-in or to skip workouts. For instance, when I'm doing Insanity or Asylum I won't miss a work-out of the entire program. This morning I was up at 4:15 and took one of the dogs for a 25-minute speed walk to start my day off on the right foot even though I was dead-tired and wanted to sleep for another 45 minutes.
    Make exercise something you HAVE to get done each day and you'll find the motivation/energy to get through it -- just like the fact that you HAVE to go to work everyday, and you HAVE to brush your teeth, breath, eat, drink water, etc. ---- not making it a chore, just making it a necessity instead of something you want to do. The difference in mentality towards exercise may help you acheive your goal of getting up to do the exercise.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Morning exercise is great. It revs your endorphins up and your metabolism and the best thing is then you are finished for the day. I'm an early riser so it works out great for me, but some people just force themselves to get up earlier. Go to bed earlier and you will wake up earlier. It may take a while for your inner clock to adapt.
  • lucateros4
    Options
    I love to work-out in the morning! I always have more energy to get going! And it gives me the energy to make it through the day..so much sometimes that I will go for another work-out later in the afternoon! Good luck and try it..what do you have to lose, but weight!
  • cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    Options
    What isn't there an app for.....I Can't Wake Up. So with this thing you can set it so that to stop it you have to get up and go scan a barcode. (Just don't put the barcode next to your bed.) Then once you are out of bed, put on your shoes and clothes (which of course you laid out the night before) and hit it. It will get easier, at least I hope so - I just switched to mornings and just having it done before night was the motivation to move me to am.