weight loss goal, short term vs long term

Options
I have a long term goal of 33 pounds right now. when i think about the entire amount i need to lose it is daunting. everytime i logged into my MFP diary I was reminded of how far I still had to go. I know many people are looking at the same thing and thinking "this is going to take forever, what's one more day?" that is what I've been thinking everytime I binge on food. I have so much to lose what's one more day. So I decided to take maters into my own hands.

My new goal on the site is 10 pounds less than I weigh now. That is a weight attainable in a reasonable amount of time. I know the pride I will have by reaching the goal will spur me into 5th gear for the next short term goal. So on and so forth. I've already reached my first 10 # goal and that felt pretty amazing that I knew I had to keep looking at this in 5 and 10 pound increments. Here's hoping I can psyche myself INTO something positive instead of out of it for once.

Replies

• ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have about 100 punds to lose....talk about daunting!! I use short term, attainable goals with rewards for every ten pounds i lose. Its working so far!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I started out with 83 pounds to lose. It took me more than 3 months to lose the first 10lbs!

I am rewarding myself after losing 10% of my starting weight--hit that about 6 weeks ago. I have about 20lbs to go before I hit 20% of my starting weight
  • rmn1972
    rmn1972 Posts: 20
    Options
    Funny! That is exactly the same thing I did. I have a total of about 80 pounds I want to lose and that seemed like an insurmountable goal so I broke it down into 10 pound mini goals. I only recird my weight after each 10 lb loss. Every time I do, MFP naturally lowers my allotted calories. When it does, I try to up my daily exercise so I can still eat what I want.
    Keep me posted and let me know how you are doing!
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    This may seem like a lot of over thinking, but I am actually running with three goals right now. One is a monthly goal, one is a BMI of 35, and the third is a BMI of 30 and I still look with anticipation when I move down one BMI integer (currently floating in the neighborhood of 38). The small successes make me celebrate more and feel daunted less.
  • LordByproduct
    Options
    That seams to be a good thought process Em. Its very important to have increments of success to motivate us along the way. i am not losing weight yet so for me i just keep looking for other signs of success like being more involved in my weight loss here on MFP and daily exercise which makes me feel better. But in the end i cant wait for an actual sign that the scale is finally "tipping" the other direction! X's and O's
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great strategy.