Kid's Lucnhbox Ideas

Options
tajmel
tajmel Posts: 401 Member
My eldest is off to kindergarten tomorrow! What are some of your favorite healthy things to send along for lunch? My son isn't a picky eater, so all ideas are welcome!

Replies

• tajmel
    Options
    I asked him, and he says he wants sushi XD. Anybody?
  • suesclues1
    Options
    Happy first day of school! :) I found this link the other day; it's on the site of a lunch box product, but Gladware and others sell something comparable. Any way, I'm a visual learner, so I loved that it's a TON of photo ideas -- not really recipes -- from which you may choose to mix and match ideas that suit your child's palate. Good luck!

http://easylunchboxes.smugmug.com/The-Best-Lunchbox-System/Yummy-Lunch-Ideas/10136835_YSuyb#!i=696914291&k=YxmUd
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Happy first day of school! :) I found this link the other day; it's on the site of a lunch box product, but Gladware and others sell something comparable. Any way, I'm a visual learner, so I loved that it's a TON of photo ideas -- not really recipes -- from which you may choose to mix and match ideas that suit your child's palate. Good luck! http://easylunchboxes.smugmug.com/The-Best-Lunchbox-System/Yummy-Lunch-Ideas/10136835_YSuyb#!i=696914291&k=YxmUd

I just checked this out...love it!
  • momof4ts
    momof4ts Posts: 118
    Options
    Great question! Just bought my daughters lunchbox today, we are dtermined to be healthy this year so we are BOTH packing for school! Ineed ideas! HELP!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Really cool website, thanks for sharing...as far as the question posed by the OP, I have a great eater, but lunch is kind of difficult because my son prefers hot food, but also has food allergies, so the school lunch doesn't work for us. So we pack, but he's not a fan of stuff in the thermos, so we have done a lot of PB & J on whole grain breads with a side of baby carrots. I also make my own homemade version of "Lunchables" with chunks of meat and fruit and vegetables with crackers.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    cheese sticks, gogurt simply, fruit, and sandwiches (tuna, ham, pb, chicken) will be our standard. I bought some smuckers uncrustables for emergencies. lol

I know that I have sent leftovers of things he will eat cool. Chicken nuggets, pizza, sausage biscuits, grilled steak or chicken :)
  • tajmel
    Options
    Happy first day of school! :) I found this link the other day; it's on the site of a lunch box product, but Gladware and others sell something comparable. Any way, I'm a visual learner, so I loved that it's a TON of photo ideas -- not really recipes -- from which you may choose to mix and match ideas that suit your child's palate. Good luck!

http://easylunchboxes.smugmug.com/The-Best-Lunchbox-System/Yummy-Lunch-Ideas/10136835_YSuyb#!i=696914291&k=YxmUd

Love this, thanks! I used to make myself a lot of bento boxes, and this is similar :). Perfect and easy looking.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    quesadillas and grilled cheese were a hit last year too.
  • shelbyweeeee
    shelbyweeeee Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    My son is going into 2nd grade and will eat those individual Sabra hummus cups with pita chips; baby carrots or broccoli with ranch dip on the side; grapes; Cracker Barrel individual cheese singles; Triscuits; mini pretzels; rolled up deli meat (usually salami, unfortunately); and various other fruit cut up (like apple slices, pineapple, that sort of thing). There is some group I friended on FB about Bento lunch boxes and they have tons of visuals.
  • tajmel
    Options
    My son is going into 2nd grade and will eat those individual Sabra hummus cups with pita chips; baby carrots or broccoli with ranch dip on the side; grapes; Cracker Barrel individual cheese singles; Triscuits; mini pretzels; rolled up deli meat (usually salami, unfortunately); and various other fruit cut up (like apple slices, pineapple, that sort of thing). There is some group I friended on FB about Bento lunch boxes and they have tons of visuals.

Ooh, hummus with pita chips and veggies?! That's a great idea! I'm going to go hunting for bento groups now, thanks for the tip :).
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I like to think of kids as tiny humans - and since they probably take after you - i would consider what you like and how it could work for them and special needs of going to school and keeping it cool while in class.