For the Ladies: Cramps while running

Options
So, I went up into the woods for a run, and about a mile into the run I had a sudden case of "woman cramps" They were so bad I could barely stand straight, and had to walk back to my house. When I got back the cramps subsided and were barely there. The weird part was, i'm not having my period and aren't expecting it for another 2 weeks! Has this happened to anyone else? This was the first time it had ever happened and it was really really weird. Would love some info on how to fix that slight problem! Thanks!

Replies

• Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Dont take this wrong, but are you sure it was cramps and not gas?
  • pamtram
    pamtram Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it wasn't your bowels complaining? Running has a tendancy to make a lot of people need to go number 2's.

I have started to really appreciate public toilets since starting running.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I get those sorts of cramps but it's usually gas. The downside of fiber.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Dont take this wrong, but are you sure it was cramps and not gas?

Exactly.
  • GraceEsther
    GraceEsther Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Postitive!!! ;) I took tums just in case!
  • mandydanyele
    Options
    Do you have regular periods? Sometimes periods can just pop up early :sad: I've gotten cramps from them like a week before I actually got it :noway:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If I run tooooo hard (sprinting) for more than a minute or two, I get "OMG, my uterus is going to fall out" cramps. Try going a little slower?

If I do get a cramp, I just walk it off, then get back to it.
  • GraceEsther
    Options
    If I run tooooo hard (sprinting) for more than a minute or two, I get "OMG, my uterus is going to fall out" cramps. Try going a little slower?

If I do get a cramp, I just walk it off, then get back to it.

Thanks!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I only get that the week before and during. So, maybe your cycle has changed? I haven't found any way to stop it, so I only do low impact and weights during that time. Any high impact gives me cramps so bad that I have passed out.
  • marissa4354
    Options
    So, I went up into the woods for a run, and about a mile into the run I had a sudden case of "woman cramps" They were so bad I could barely stand straight, and had to walk back to my house. When I got back the cramps subsided and were barely there. The weird part was, i'm not having my period and aren't expecting it for another 2 weeks! Has this happened to anyone else? This was the first time it had ever happened and it was really really weird. Would love some info on how to fix that slight problem! Thanks!

If your period is two weeks away, you could be ovulating. Are you on birth control?
  • GraceEsther
    Options

If your period is two weeks away, you could be ovulating. Are you on birth control?

Nope, no birth control. The doctor wanted to put me on some to regulate my periods, since they are not super regular and I get terrible cramps when it does happen.
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    Is it your breathing? A lot of times when I run and get those side-stitches, it's because I tend to run+sing to my music at the same time (results in breathing issue). Look up proper running form and breathing techniques and make sure you're matching up.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I never run if I'm hving cramps. I just lay on the couch w the heating pad and watch tv. Leave the runnin for another day.