May be too fat to jog.

Options
2»

Replies

• jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My shoes are fine. I did go to a Running Store for fit, comfort and purpose. I get shin splints too, and although they keep me from finishing each day of c25k (I keep doing W1D1), they are fine the next morning, or even later that night. I talked to an avid runner friend of mine and she swears bananas and water have helped her through some bad ones (though there doesn't seem to be any proof that the Potassium does much in terms of the splints since it isn't a cramp). And ice them. Do NOT push through the pain. Some people wear these, regularly:

http://www.irunnerblog.com/running/product-review-zensah-shin-splintcalf-compression-sleeve/

Don't forget to stretch!
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I used to have a similar problem, and I still don't like running but not because of my legs anymore. Now I have to wear very tight compression shirts so my partially-full torso skin-fat thing doesn't flap around so much.

I prefer the elliptical - no leg pain, no skin-fat flapping. If you're going to jog, ease yourself into it. You may not have shin splints, you may just have to condition your legs slowly. It takes some time for the body to adjust when you've gone basically your whole life without running.
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Also i was going to add if you do find that running just isn't your thing try Roller-Blading. I've been doing it for about a year now. It's low impact but it really works out your lower body and back. I swear my calves are all muscle. My butt's tightened up quite a bit too. I've got a long way to go yet but the roller-blading has sure helped me get a good start on it.

I've been running maybe once a week, just for something different. I might go tomorrow in fact. My lil' Jack Russell needs some exercise.
  • drage1
    drage1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Shoes. Shoes. Shoes. I weigh loads more than you and I am W3 in C25K. I have orthotics in my shoes as well.
    Make sure to warm up and down - its vital.

Also - C25K can be unbearable sometimes. I have had to repeat weeks because it is really hard on my body. I have been working on my fitness for 7 months now, but as I am still BMI of 40, it is quite a lot of effort.

Keep going! You can do it!!
  • james132
    james132 Posts: 19
    Options
    Old runner checking in here...

First, get some good shoes. Professional running store will look at your step and make sure that you're fit in the right type of shoe for your foot/gait and even weight.

Second. Why jog? Walking is healthier on your joints and just your entire body in general. After a torn up knee and a fractured leg last year, I've been forced to walk since I can no longer run. It has proven to be a fantastic way to burn a bunch of calories while at the same time taking care of my knees, hips and whatever else used to hurt me. :happy:

Don't get hung up on the idea that getting there faster (jogging/running) is any healthier for you.

Best of luck to you in reaching your goals. :drinker:
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I would say take it slower. When I started jogging, I could seriously only run for about 10 seconds before I got bad shin pain, and I wasn't even overweight! I think it's a matter of getting your leg muscles used to the impact, especially if you're jogging on hard terrain. So start slow, and gradually work your way up to longer stretches. You'll be jogging before you know it :)
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Mix in some cross training. Bike, swim (run or walk in a pool if you don't want to swim) or just walk. Ease back into the running as the pain goes away and, like many here have said, get good running shoes. You can do it!
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am 238 and have been doing c25k since 248. I am on week 3 now (I am taking two weeks for each program week as to not injure myself). I got a pair of New Balance shoes my second week in (paid $116 but well worth it!) and I have had no more pain in my shins!! Its amazing how shoes really do help but go to a reputable shoe store! Not a department store that sells other items or shoes on sale. Good luck and great job on your c25k endeavor!!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    You might need to slow down. If you are pounding too hard it will hurt like hell. I run SLOW. I could walk faster than I run.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Rest and heal up.

Check out New Balance Good Form Running

http://www.newbalance.com/running/good-form-running/61000,default,sc.html
  • RealMattHopkins
    RealMattHopkins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's often all about the shoes. I had the same exact symptoms as you did, got high quality running shoes at the Running Room (chain store, not sure if you have it but it's great), and it was night and day. No more problems. I apparently pronate, which means my ankles kind of cave in toward each other which was causing the pain. The new shoes fixed that right up. Good luck AND don't quit running!!!
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I started big and I am a runner now! I have no pain. I have a good pair of Nikes and I put Dr. Scholl's arch support orthodics in them, and never have issues. Always stretch good before, during and even after the run. Hydration is important. You can also go to a rubber track to help, I run on concrete and seem fine!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like shin splints. Take A couple days off. Soak in some Epson salts and put some ice on them:)

Yup, you have shin splints. It's not uncommon at all. Happens mostly from overuse and from crappy running shoes. Invest in a good pair and your running will be SOOOO much more enjoyable. Relax, rest up. I'd add some ibuprofen (advil) to the previous remedy.
  • juggalotus
    juggalotus Posts: 227
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I unfortunately can not afford "good" running shoes. I had a hard time affording my zigtechs and I thought they were decent. Little did I know! haha...I will be able to afford them eventually, but not now. Maybe I'll just stick to week one of c25k...thanks for all the advice!