*For Female Only MFPers* TOM Question

Options
I have the Impanon Birth Control inserted in my arm. Usually my TOM is scattered about and very light, 3-5 days. It's not unusual for me to go 2 or 3 months without seeing it. Well, this month I've had it twice. A lot longer and heavier than usual. I was wondering if others have expereinced the same thing when starting a healthier lifestyle and how long it took for things to get back to normal.

Replies

• blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Im thinking of getting this, would love to hear some feedback!
  • texaricangirasol
    texaricangirasol Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i had this problem happen with just being on the pills, it turned out that the doses were two low and i had to be placed on higher level hormones.

as for changing lifestyles, i have only had light spotting when i started working out heavily at the gym. But it was light and just came and went.

You may want to go to the doctor and get a check up and make sure it is in there properly and that you are not having a side effect or need something with a higher dose.

Hope that helps.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have the Impanon Birth Control inserted in my arm.

Hi, lets be friends.
  • Anastasiasosa
    Anastasiasosa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've had issue with my monthly since getting the implanon. I don't even know when it's coming because it comes and goes. It expires in February of 2013 so I've had it for a while and it never leveled out. When I tell the hubby it's that TOM he says, "again?!". I really can't wait to switch to pills.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Whoa, creeper.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Whoa, creeper.

It was the "for female only MPFers" thread title's fault I swear.
  • amswanson3
    amswanson3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've had the implanon in for 2 years now. This is the first time I've ever had any problems besides the unpredictability in cycles. I plan on getting in to see the Dr... whenever an apt opens up. I avoid going to the ER unless I absolutley must. This is the first time since I've had it that I've started an active lifestyle and am watching what I eat, so I'm hoping that is the role. I hear of women getting lighter periods or stopping them when they get more active... mine just seems to be in reverse. Thanks for the feedback ladies... hopefully I can get to see my doctor within the week.
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have the Impanon Birth Control inserted in my arm.

Hi, lets be friends.

Thats freakin funny! Creeper or not!:laugh:
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... After trying several different pills and the patch, my gyno told me my periods should be regular when I'm taking the right BC. I don't know about what you have. Maybe it's supposed to work that way?? Unless you are exercising a ridiculous amount and under eating, your lifestyle change should not be making your hormones fluctuate so drastically as to cause such a sporadic menstrual cycle. Talk to your gyno and tell them exactly what you told us. They will have a much better idea of what to tell you and what's going on.
  • jacqui1612
    jacqui1612 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I looked into getting this. It says that it can make it heavier or lighter. Each person is different. The main reason I did get it was because of that, and not being able to control when I got it.. Search online about it. It may give you some info...
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Anything you put in your body is going to be screwy. It will probably remain this way unless removed. No BC is perfect, trust me ive used a few for a short while but the weird affects are a huge reason why we dont use anything hormonal or inserted when we do use something.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    When I went on birth control a year ago and started exercising so much and losing weight my period was really wonky. After about a year it straightened itself out. Definitely check with your doctor!
  • wildrosejmj
    wildrosejmj Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    All hormonal birth control is incredibly bad for you and raises your risk of cancer substantially. Read all the fine print that comes with your birth control paperwork. Really, ladies. All of this stuff is really, really bad. Please consider learning Natural Family Planning. It is completely natural - no pills to take, no inserts, no artificial hormones - and, for most women, it's EASY. Take your temperature every morning, check your cervix and/or cervical mucous, and you know exactly when you're fertile and when you're not. Even if you have irregular cycles, it can still work for you, and it might tell you WHY your cycle is irregular, not just mask the symptoms. Fertility Friend is a great free site that can help you, as is Take Charge of Your Fertility. If you're serious about getting healthy, please check this out.

Deo Juvante, Jen
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    All hormonal birth control is incredibly bad for you and raises your risk of cancer substantially. Read all the fine print that comes with your birth control paperwork. Really, ladies. All of this stuff is really, really bad. Please consider learning Natural Family Planning. It is completely natural - no pills to take, no inserts, no artificial hormones - and, for most women, it's EASY. Take your temperature every morning, check your cervix and/or cervical mucous, and you know exactly when you're fertile and when you're not. Even if you have irregular cycles, it can still work for you, and it might tell you WHY your cycle is irregular, not just mask the symptoms. Fertility Friend is a great free site that can help you, as is Take Charge of Your Fertility. If you're serious about getting healthy, please check this out.

Deo Juvante, Jen
    This but I would Not trust Natural Family Planning, just use condoms or if your very serious w/ the SO ask for a vasectomy-they are outpatient, cheaper than the women's alternative, reversible don't F** up hormones, and thyroid hormone levels, No cancer risk
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Deo Juvante, Jen
    This but I would Not trust Natural Family Planning, just use condoms or if your very serious w/ the SO ask for a vasectomy-they are outpatient, cheaper than the women's alternative, reversible don't F** up hormones, and thyroid hormone levels, No cancer risk

I wouldn't trust natural family planning--it's not reliable enough. And the claim of "substantial" higher cancer risk for hormonal methods is hogwash.

Hormonal birth control can actually lower your risk of certain cancers, such as ovarian and endometrial cancer. They can raise your risk of breast cancer though. A more nuanced and truthful suggestion would be to talk to your doctor about your family history and what would work best for you.

( See http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/oral-contraceptives for a source.)
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I wouldn't trust natural family planning either--it's not reliable enough. And the claim of "substantial" higher cancer risk for hormonal methods is hogwash.

Hormonal birth control can actually lower your risk of certain cancers, such as ovarian and endometrial cancer. They can raise your risk of breast cancer though. A more nuanced and truthful suggestion would be to talk to your doctor about your family history and what would work best for you.

( See http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/oral-contraceptives for a source.)

Also liver cancer.

I was on oral contraceptives for a total of 4 months in the past two years and no, thank you. It's painful enough to have healthy hormones under the effect of bad diet, stress, environmental pollution, medications in a modern day life.

OP, I suggest contacting your doctor. Such irregularities despite using it for 2 years does not sound normal to me after reading adverse effects which cite irregularities in the first 6 months or so.