A little bit of advice please - maintaining weight

Options
Hi, hopefully somebody will be able to advise me on this matter. I have recently lost around 75 and I am now around the weight I want to to stay at. (11st 5lbs / 159 lbs). But after putting my details in on this website for my food consumption / exercise I get this message "If every day were like today... You'd weigh 150.1 lbs in 5 weeks".

I don't want to be 150lbs in 5 weeks, so my question is how accurate is this information? Is it generally quite good, does this mean I will have to increase what I eat in order to maintain despite the fact I am happy with the amount I am now eating?

i think it is probably best to just see what happens but I thought I would see what you guys thought first.

Cheers

Mark

Replies

• alexmrusu
    Options
    Hi Mark,

While this website is wonderful and has helped me a lot, I think nothing is better than your own intuition. Listen to what your body tells you. Also, generally, I've found that the 5 week prediction is not accurate [ it usually portrays less pounds ]. After reading some other posts on here, I learned that this is a popular opinion.

I don't know how long you've been at your ideal weight, but generally your body plateaus when you've stopped losing weight for 2-4 weeks. If you've been consistent with your diet/exercise for a good amount of time and have remained at 159 lbs, I don't think you should worry about increasing your calories based on what MFP says.

Congrats on your successful weight loss!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you have net the number of calories that MFP has as your maintenance number then it shouldnt be saying you will lose weight in 5 weeks?
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for over six months and can safely say that the maintenance calories that MFP provide for me (and others) is not accurate. It is unfortanately a bit of a game of trial and error to find the right balance. My advice would be to get some maintenance friends and there is also a maintenance group on here which is very good and supportive.

Congratulations on reaching your goal!
  • partingtonred
    Options
    Cheers all. I have only just reached my goal weight and I have just come off my diet (Lighterlife) and decided that using this site would be a good way of tracking what I eat / drink etc... Yesterday was the first time I have used this site properly after a couple of months of being a member and I was quite alarmed that I may still be losing 2lbs a week.

Trial and error as you say. Thanks for the advice.