Fitbit vs Nike Fuel Band

Options
So... I've seen these two products, MIGHT be interested in getting one (I do love a gimmick/gadget!)... and I need all the help I can get to encourage me to be more active.

So I know people with both - fiance has Nike Fuel Band and friends have FitBit - what's the difference ? Other than a massive price difference.. thoughts ?

What functions are different on each ? Wondering if a FitBit might serve my purposes...
thanks all,

Mel

Replies

• speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    i have a fitbit and i would say its more for steps-pedeometer -my son has a nike band he uses for running -i have heard hrm are best for logging all exercises so would pay to get one hrm that is :smile:
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 HRM which I love....
  • tpord
    tpord Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As you know, I use a Nike Fuel band and this is a very nice bit of tech that adds that extra level of motivation.
    Not hit your fuel points yet? Take the stairs instead of the lift! It really does keep your mind on the goal. :)

I am a very active person anyway with running 4 nights a week on average with some gym mixed in between. To me, this was just another gimmick I had to have! 4-6k is what I keep hitting, though a daily gym goer with an office job can look to achieve 3-4k.

It has a great battery life and just looks super cool. The website keeps getting improved and just adds to the very enjoyable number game. A mate of mine is getting it just for the watch feature!
    The Nike community is very good as well. It's about comparing your fuel burn to your friends. Just like these gamers who chase the XBox gamer-points (G's). Instead, this is fitness points! :)

The only downside to the Fuel Band is rust. Although it is advertised as being water resistant (not water proof), it actually isn't. They say you can shower with it but you can't swim. If you do decide to shower with it then you will start to notice the 4 torx screws on the inside of the band will start to rust. Very unpleasant.
    Nike will request you to send your band back to them in order to fix this flaw. Or just don't shower with it and clean your band after a sweaty session or rainy run etc.

I have no experience on the Fitbit tech so I would be interested in other peoples opinions...
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I saw the Fuel Band online after I got a fitbit, so I can only comment on a fitbit. But I am curious about the Fuel Band.

Pro's:
    -convenient to wear, I don't need a bulky watch+chest strap like my HRM (Polar F6, so it's an older model)
    -counts steps (pedometer), and doesn't reset itself (when I tried a cheap pedometer, I'd keep hitting the reset button unintentionally)
    -counts flights of stairs (but not on a stair machine, unfortunately), extra convenient when hiking!
    -counts calories
    -all of the above are displayed (can check it throughout the day)
    -online account that can sync with MFP and add in your extra calories burned; if you 'record' an activity (say, a walk or run) you can then view the duration, distance, pace, speed, etc. You can also add 'friends' on their site.
    -if you wear it at night, it can track your sleep patterns - how long it took to fall asleep (not sure this is entirely accurate, though), how often you woke up and when, etc.

Con's:
    -not waterproof
    -have to clip it to clothing (fuel band is just like a bracelet)
    -not entirely accurate mileage (it 'guesses' your stride based on your height; it overestimates mine)
    -it can only sync to your computer where you have the recharging dock (it's wireless, but it's at home and I'm at work all day) - I think the Fuel Band you can sync with your phone
    -calorie-counting is only accurate for walking/running activities. you'll need to log manually anything else like biking, swimming, etc where you either can't wear it (not waterproof) or it cannot calculate calories burned based on your movement. I know I burn way more calories doing circuit training or playing rugby than it gives me credit for, since it's only calculating based on my movement from point A to point B. So, no steps for like a mountain climber or squat or pushup, so no extra calorie burn other than standing in place.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head for a fitbit.
  • tpord
    tpord Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like they are both gimmicks that keep you motivated :)