Confused...

Options
So this past week and a half I've been pretty sick with tonsillitis, which means that I haven't been exercising. I've been eating all my calories (sometimes a bit over) and I've lost 4 pounds! But the few weeks before, I had been exercising 3-5 days a week, eating back what my HRM says I've burned, and I hadn't lost any weight. Do you think this has to do with my HRM overestimating the calories I've burned, which means I've been eating back too much? I am so confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• Blondehelmet
    Blondehelmet Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I tried eating back my calories burned exercising and it didn't really work for me. My sister feels the same way. A few years ago I went on the lite n easy program, they put me on a 1400 cal per day meal plan and they don't give you any extra food in the event you exercise. Just my opinion though.
  • jenbehe
    jenbehe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input :). I think when I exercise I'll eat back around 100-200 calories and see if that helps!
  • lanie37
    lanie37 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I dont eat back my calories burned. I aim for my goal of 1400 and if i go slightly over I dont feel too bad as I know I have burnt off way more. I eat a varied and as clean as I can menu, and feel so much better for it.
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think what works for 'Person A, B & C' may not work with 'Person D and E.' No two bodies are alike so what may work for me may not work for you. I tried eating more to lose weight when I was stuck at a plateau and it didn't seem to help, I went back down to my original allotted calories and I lost a little over a pound this week. I think it is just trail,error and determination. Just don't give up until you figure out what works best for you. Also remember give your body time to adjust to the changes you implement. Good luck and congrats on the loss.
  • jenbehe
    jenbehe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think what works for 'Person A, B & C' may not work with 'Person D and E.' No two bodies are alike so what may work for me may not work for you. I tried eating more to lose weight when I was stuck at a plateau and it didn't seem to help, I went back down to my original allotted calories and I lost a little over a pound this week. I think it is just trail,error and determination. Just don't give up until you figure out what works best for you. Also remember give your body time to adjust to the changes you implement. Good luck and congrats on the loss.

I think you're right. Will keep trying to find what works best for me. Thank you!
  • Girlwithnoname77
    Girlwithnoname77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This puzzles me too because I only recently came out of a plataue and I don't know if it is because i ate a lot on the weekend before the loss, so maybe I wasn't eating enough? It is confusing.

Another MFPer on here suggested smaller meals throughout the day, rather than 2-3 main meals. Try something like that perhaps?
  • MadeInDR022
    Options
    I try to eat only half my exercise cals back. I feel safer about doing that than eating them all back. Of course, there are days when I eat them all back and then some lol And like others have said, we are all different and what works for me, may not work for you. Hope you're able to find something that works for you!