Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Dieting on a Budget

Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone had any good recipies whilst on a tight budget?

Any ideas will be most appreciated.

Tracy :flowerforyou:

Replies

• AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Wholegrain oatmeal is really cheap. I usually have mine with honey and cinnamon.

Brown rice is cheap too.
  • karamaye
    karamaye Posts: 14
    One recipe I really like is a crock pot one:

2 chicken breasts
    a can of pineapple
    soysauce or terryaki sauce.

On high for about 2 hours or on low for about 4-5 hours.

Cook up some uncle ben's minute brown rice.

2/3 a cup of rice, 1/2 a chicken breast and some of the pineapple (and added veggies if you want- onion, peppers) and it's around 375 calories.

I usually will make 4 servings of rice and cut the breasts in half then assemble each portion in tupperwear and bring to work. It heats up SO well in the microwave for a minute. And the chicken is so moist it shreds perfectly! I always keep some breasts in the freezer and a can of unsweetened pineapple for a quick dinner!
  • One recipe I really like is a crock pot one:

2 chicken breasts
    a can of pineapple
    soysauce or terryaki sauce.

On high for about 2 hours or on low for about 4-5 hours.

Cook up some uncle ben's minute brown rice.

2/3 a cup of rice, 1/2 a chicken breast and some of the pineapple (and added veggies if you want- onion, peppers) and it's around 375 calories.

I will be trying this one!!! Thanks so much, sounds WONDERFUL :)
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    It takes a little while to get your pantry/freezer in order when on a budget, but so worth it when you do. Look at the local sale fliers and stock up on sale days. Then portion out and freeze meats. A full pork loin on sale is about 20.00. But, I get three pork roasts and maybe 6-10 pork cutlets out of one loin. That is a LOT of meals.

Same with Chicken and beef. Buy on sale in bulk and freeze it. You will find that over time, you will spend less on a meal than the pre package frozen ones.
  • whatever u get, just eat it in moderation. and maybe try to plan out things ahead of time such as, if u are having a dish with peppers and onions in it one day, and u know u wont use them all, try to make something with them the next day, so ur not wasting. also, have ur leftovers from dinner for lunch the next day, so u are not trying to buy lunches every day also
  • margatetrace
    margatetrace Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks so much all of you, i will defo be trying the chicken and pineapple.