Can't make up calorie defecit!!

Options
Hi all

For the last couple of months I've changed my lifestyle and am now eating a healthy diet and have started running in the mornings. I built up slowly, but now run for 30 minutes five days a week, which is around 5 km a day and I also walk a lot during the day.

I've just started using MFP and am being very precise about logging everything I'm eating, so I can get an accurate average of my food intake.

Worryingly though, with the exercise I'm doing and the healthy diet, I'm struggling to make up the calories each day to get me to 1500 net calories!!

I eat a balanced breakfast, lunch and dinner with fruit/seed/nut snacks during the day. Plenty of salad and fresh veg, lean meat and fish. My daily average calories from food are around 1500, which is great for my weight loss goal.

The problem is that with the exercise added in, I'm coming up short on my net calories by around 600 per day. I tried increasing the amount of food to fill the defecit and get me to 1500 net, but struggled with the larger portions.

Would anyone recommend a protein-type shake to fill in the extra calories?

Steve

Replies

• AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    CytoGainer or something similar. Plenty of calories in that.
  • bsmnr0
    bsmnr0 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you legitimately feel satisfied with what you're eating and you legitimately feel full then it's fine. Just make sure you feed yourself lots of complex carbs to keep yourself full. I had the same issue the weight just comes off quicker and as time passes with this diet you will become less and less strict on yourself and open up to a few more options, adding in the calories.

You have to learn that it's okay every so often to treat yourself, just learn to control it and savour the moment haha we're all in the same boat here :)
  • settoloki
    settoloki Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about protein shakes, there are many out their depending on your goal.

I will say that the recommended calories is just a guide and different for everybody. There are lot more aspects that this site any many others like it just can't take into account.

If you feel healthy, and have no signs of illness related to this, maybe talk to your GP if you are worried. Then the calories you are taking in is right for you and a protein shake might not be the answer.
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    add a big mac to your diet.

calorie deficit gone.
  • settoloki
    Options

calorie deficit gone.

now I want a big mac lol!
  • alleycat88
    Options

calorie deficit gone.

:laugh:

They are just so damn good
  • settoloki
    Options

calorie deficit gone.

:laugh:

They are just so damn good

The only thing better than a big mac - is 2 big macs :)
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    Yes eat the MSG laden pink slime. It's "food"
  • alleycat88
    Options
    Yes eat the MSG laden pink slime. It's "food"

tumblr_m7p6r3h66S1qzutfv.jpg

Also - your sarcasm meter is broken. I would never seriously recommend someone to eat a big Mac every day.
  • sirmio
    sirmio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    More olive oil?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Muscle milk is pretty good in terms of high calories and taste. Also, add nuts, cooking in evoo or eat peanut butter out the jar. Also, you should look to add weight training to prevent muscle loss.
    WT also cuts fat faster.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    Also - your sarcasm meter is broken. I would never seriously recommend someone to eat a big Mac every day.

Where is your Olympic spirit?
  • smithy85
    smithy85 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If you legitimately feel satisfied with what you're eating and you legitimately feel full then it's fine. Just make sure you feed yourself lots of complex carbs to keep yourself full. I had the same issue the weight just comes off quicker and as time passes with this diet you will become less and less strict on yourself and open up to a few more options, adding in the calories.

You have to learn that it's okay every so often to treat yourself, just learn to control it and savour the moment haha we're all in the same boat here :)

Great Advice! I would say if your not feeling hungry and your not Ill the deficit is fine, people often say you should eat all of yor exersice calories, personally I dont as I can burn up to 1500 calories when working out, so Im definately not going to eat 3000 calories a day, plus the burn average is always rough even with a HRM they are nto accurate, so you will find that leaving some calories on the table means your not overeating anyway. You and only you know how you feel and it your eating healthy you will find you may not need extra. More protein is a good way of filling up not just for extra calories but if you want to add a protein shake you ave to consider wether you want an all protein, one with creatine one with carbs etc....I would reccoment going in to a place (holland and barrett in the UK is a great place to browse proteins etc in the shop) i odnt know the US equivilant! to which one is right for you.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    avocado, peanut butter, cream cheese.
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Even though people are under their calorie goal, and could eat more, they should not be told to eat unhealthy! There are plenty of high calorie meals one can eat that is not a Big Mac. It's not all about the weight, it's about your health as well... But of course, every once in a while you can eat trash, no harm in that, but I would never recommend someone who's struggling with eating enough to eat something unhealthy! (Even as a joke.. You never know what people take seriously or not)
  • alleycat88
    Options

Where is your Olympic spirit?

I'm more of a winter olympics gal myself :tongue:

Heddy... those panties. they're in a wad.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Are you getting your healthy fats? Things like extra virgin olive oil, nuts, nut butter... I don't know what you currently put on your salad but say if you were going from a fat free store dressing to a homemade olive oil based dressing and you sprinkle some cashews on your salad then that would boost your cals. Good luck! :D
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    This is going to turn into one of those don't eat your exercise calories arguments.

BTW - I don't eat my exercise calories - because I believe exercise is just part of my daily life which was included when I calculated my daily calorie requirement..

This kind of post is usually followed by I'm ONLY 'eating' 1500 calories a day but not losing weight
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Clearly, you don't have problems eating enough calories, or you wouldn't have gained weight to start with. We ALL have a tendency to overeat, that's why we're here.

What you need to do on days that you're low on calories is add a salad to your meals because the dressing will get you extra calories, & help keep you feeling fuller. Add nuts like almonds or cashews (especially cashews! They're VERY high calorie with good fat). Put some cheese on your salads.

INDULGE once in a while. If you HAVE the extra calories, have a cookie after dinner. Ugh... you've CLEARLY earned it... & ONE won't kill you, or kill your progress. You have to still eat SOME of the things you enjoy SOMETIMES or you'll end up losing focus because it's just too hard.

Or keep track of your extra calories & give yourself a spike day. Some people do that too.

You can find the calories. People who claim they can't drive me crazy. I mean... if you ALWAYS ate at a calorie deficit your whole life, you wouldn't have gained weight like the rest of us.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    This is going to turn into one of those don't eat your exercise calories arguments.

Unless Alleycat88 posts nudes, that could certainly change the direction of this thread.