Non Carb Foods

Options
Which daily foods, have zero carbs in? I thought quite a few of the things i ate, was carb free, but obviously isnt. So any help appreciated to foods which have zero carbs in.

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    meat, fish.
    eggs have 1 gram each
    lettuce, celery, spinach (basically green veg) are quite low
    flax and almond meal (if you subtract fire which most do)
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Cow beef and veal
    Pork
    Lamb
    Fowl - turkey, chicken, duck, goose, cornish hen, quail, etc.
    Seafood - mollusks such as clams and oysters
    Seafood - shellfish such as lobster, shrimp, squid, and crab
    Seafood - all other types of freshwater and saltwater fish, such as catfish, bass, salmon, tuna, trout, flounder, halibut
    Game meats such as deer (venison), bison, ostrich, caribou, etc.
    Eggs

Be aware that processed, packaged meats such as hot dogs, sausage, etc. can have some carbs due to added flavoring and preservatives.

In addition to meats, some condiments and seasonings also have no carbs:
    Various oils such as olive oil, avocado oil, grapeseed oil, soybean oil, corn oil, peanut oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil
    Salt, ground cinnamon, vinegar, many hot sauces, mixed seasonings such as Mrs. Dash
    Yellow mustard
    Whole olives
    Animal fats including lard and fish oil
    Vegetable shortening
    Butter substitutes like margarine

Other foods with no carbs:
    Salt
    Cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, meunster cheese, camembert cheese, American pasteurized processed cheese
    Heavy whipping cream
    Regular mayonnaise
    Zero-carb beverages such as sodas
    Butterhead lettuce
    Artificial sweeteners
    Dry gelatin
    Gin, rum, vodka, whiskey
    Water, coffee, and tea if nothing is added
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Here exactly what a trainer I had told me when I had to go 0 carbs for a few weeks:

"No pasta, potatoes, rice,or bread... only lean meat and veggies!" lol That was a hard "cleansing" but damm I felt great after, not bloated anymore!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Research Dr. Atkin's Phase One list of induction foods..... you will never be rid of carbohydrates unless you just consumed fat and protein.

Carbohydrates are much healthier when consuming vegetables.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i get a lot of cabs from fresh fruit and vegetables
    i am avoiding bread, white potatoes, pasta and rice as much as I can but I still get a high carb amount - am guessing natural carbs from fructose are better than the processed carbs, but i work in admin, not science, and so have no clue
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Cow beef and veal
    Pork
    Lamb
    Seafood - all other types of freshwater and saltwater fish, such as catfish, bass, salmon, tuna, trout, flounder, halibut
    Eggs

Be aware that processed, packaged meats such as hot dogs, sausage, etc. can have some carbs due to added flavoring and preservatives.

Various oils such as olive oil, avocado oil, grapeseed oil, soybean oil, corn oil, peanut oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil
    Salt, ground cinnamon, vinegar, many hot sauces, mixed seasonings such as Mrs. Dash
    Yellow mustard
    Whole olives
    Vegetable shortening

Salt
    Cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, meunster cheese, camembert cheese, American pasteurized processed cheese
    Heavy whipping cream
    Regular mayonnaise
    Butterhead lettuce
    Artificial sweeteners
    Dry gelatin
    Gin, rum, vodka, whiskey

some of the items listed have trivial amounts of carbs (and when you're counting them, every gram matters!)

cheese, cream, mayo, and eggs all have small amounts of carbs! i count 1 gram per to be on the safe side.
    olives have 1 gram per 4 (depending on size)
    cinnamon does have carbs too. so you really have to watch the nutrition info closely - especially if you're like me and use more than the recommended serving.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Here exactly what a trainer I had told me when I had to go 0 carbs for a few weeks:

"No pasta, potatoes, rice,or bread... only lean meat and veggies!" lol That was a hard "cleansing" but damm I felt great after, not bloated anymore!

I totally agree- I feel so tight and lean and good when I go paleo, I can feel after I fall off the wagon- bloating.. and other nasty side effects. I don't think I'll ever go back to incorporating grains into my regaular diet. (I don't like potatoes so they are out too)
  • LaLouve_RK
    Options

I totally agree- I feel so tight and lean and good when I go paleo, I can feel after I fall off the wagon- bloating.. and other nasty side effects. I don't think I'll ever go back to incorporating grains into my regaular diet. (I don't like potatoes so they are out too)

Sadly for me, I am a big fan of those! lol So it was hell for me!
    Now, since on MFP, I managed to lower my intake without going crazy!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    How does your body handle so much meat? I tried a high protein/low carb lifestyle for about 2 weeks and my stomach just could not handle digesting an exclusively meat/fish based diet. It made me sick.
  • LaLouve_RK
    Options
    How does your body handle so much meat? I tried a high protein/low carb lifestyle for about 2 weeks and my stomach just could not handle digesting an exclusively meat/fish based diet. It made me sick.
    Your diet isn't suppose to be exclusively meat, impossible. The recommended meat intake is 75g per day! It's not much! The rest is substituts and veggies... fruits...
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I really would like to try Paleo, but I'd need some type of substitute for bread at least, is there one?
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Most foods have carbs in them. There are only a few things that doesn't

Meat, seafood, eggs, and cheese.

The no-carbs diet is riduculous. Just watch what you eat and how much you're eating.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

The no-carbs diet is riduculous. Just watch what you eat and how much you're eating.

Sorry - Not true. If you run a check on eggs and a large majority of the cheeses through calorieking.com, they have carbohydrates.

There are even some items in the seafood category that have carbohydrates as well
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Sorry - Not true. If you run a check on eggs and a large majority of the cheeses through calorieking.com, they have carbohydrates.

There are even some items in the seafood category that have carbohydrates as well

lol, like I said, most food have carbs, Those were the foods allowed for the people on the no-carbs diet.

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/fat/appb.htm

When the atkins diet (the first one) came out. These were the allowed food.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    The only carb free foods are pure protein or pure fat. So, olive oil, Chicken (although that may have 1 carb), steak, etc. Any vegetables are going to have carbs.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Not really 0 carbs.
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    truly truly if you wanted to have no carbs at all, just plain ol' meat will be your best bet. i mean it's not like you can drink some heavy whipping cream and call it a meal. just eating meat is possible to do--native americans and inuits have been able to live of only meat for thousands of years--BUT it gets old very quickly when you know there are other options out there. i'm on 10g a day and basically it's meat (beef, chicken, sashimi, seafood), eggs, cheese and some veggies when i can afford them. but this won't be for forever, obviously...
  • LaLouve_RK
    Options

Not really 0 carbs.

Geez! Dont play on words! I am sure you are intelligent enough to get the point! :indifferent:
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Cow beef and veal
    Pork
    Lamb
    Eggs

Yellow mustard
    Whole olives
    Vegetable shortening

Salt
    Heavy whipping cream
    Regular mayonnaise
    Butterhead lettuce
    Artificial sweeteners
    Dry gelatin
    Gin, rum, vodka, whiskey

Wow Amazing ifnormation, Thank you for sharing!! :flowerforyou: