Any advice for protein shake beginners?

Options
Hi all,

From what I've read about protein shakes, they can really help you achieve your goals...and more. What do you think, use or avoid?

Hoping to start on them within the next few weeks & any advice would be much appreciated (Flavours, recipes, measures, how much to use depending on what you want to achieve).

Also any recommendations on where to purchase the powder, particularly in the UK?

x

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Some people consume them for the right purposes.... then there are others who just go hog-wild with them... some people may find a stall, while others very beneficial.. its really the person and their decision on when to have them, how often, etc...

Personally, the act of eating actual food in the morning will make me vomit. I need to be considerably awake before I actually eat something... now.. water, coffee and a protein smoothie in the morning for me is MUCH better, and easier on my system to handle. This was something my doctors all gave the thumbs up on....

Matter of fact, I have a Designer Whey Vanilla Protein smoothie made with frozen strawberries, a couple wedges of peach and Almond Breeze with tons of ice to make it a frozen treat. This 'keeps' me for a good three hours. After three hours, Ill pop two hard boiled eggs and then Im pretty much good until lunch break.

I was able to get a free sample from Designer Whey to try it out first. After falling in love with the French Vanilla and Chocolate (OMG, SOOOO GOOD), I grabbed the list of stores in my area that carried it. One of our major grocery chains carried it $22.00 CHEAPER than GNC... slam-dunk find!!!!!
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I buy mine from myprotein.co.uk. Their range and delivery is good imo
    I just buy the cheapest whey protein unflavoured (its their own brand and I like it), have it with milk as a shot or with a bit of slimfast for flavour. Once my slimfast is used up I plan on trying some flavoured ones. But I am scared of getting a big bag of something in a flavour I find gross - they do trial satchets so may try a range of those and see what I think.

It seems whey protein is the bog standard - its usually the cheapest - but protein is protein in my book and it does me fine.

Keep an eye on the sugar content of whatever you buy.
  • missyvhammond
    missyvhammond Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake first thing in the morning (7am) after my first workout.
    For me at that time its far to early to eat and instead I have breakfast at my desk at a suitable time .
    I use PhD Pharma Diet Whey protein (Vanilla) and have tried PhD Pharma Whey (chocolate cookie) bought from Holland and Barrett , I simply mix it with water + cup of blueberries. The rest of the day I'm trying to focus on eating healthy. Hope this is helpful :)
  • Lupuschamp
    Lupuschamp Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help, definitely useful. Should be starting on protein within the next two weeks :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/total_protein has a blend of protein types and is low carb too. I've used the chocolate and the mint chocolate.
  • evil_charmer
    Options
    i have the same protein shake as my hubby its called 90+ and i find it really good and really quite cheap aswel. we buy 5kg from ebay and can get it for £45.99 with free p+p. this is a really good price and cheapest we could find. it says one portion is 2 heaped scoop but i just have one (100cals) with 200mls of milk for bfast. then i have it after a workout. its much better for me to have this as bfast as i tend to go overboard if i have ceareal. we just have chocolate flavour i think its the best tasting but they do much smaller tubs, 1kg i think. u can buy it from holland and barrett aswel theres where we first started buying it.
    hope this helps x :happy:
    p.s also it not very carb heavy
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I just got 90+ protein too, http://www.sksports.co.uk/goal/lean-muscle/90-protein.html I got chocolate and the flavour is ok but not brilliant, a spoon of peanut butter improves it greatly though! Dirt cheap and 45g protein a serving :)