exercise calories? to use or not?

Options
Hi, new to mfp and wondering what others do as far as counting their exercise calories back in.
My mbr is like 1890to and goal calorie intake is 1580. When i use the taekwondo exersize that is listed for my weight at 45the minutes it gives me an additional 768enhancements calories to eat. Seems high to me. Any advice on th
is is appreciated.

Replies

• mrramsey
    mrramsey Posts: 49
    Options
    Thank you that was very helpful!
  • somedaysoon84
    Options
    i dont use the MFP scale for calorie burn, its really high.
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It's not as cut and dried as YES YOU SHOULD ALWAYS EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES BACK.
    Some will tell you yes, I will tell you,probably not. However, I am not a RD and this is just my opinion. You're gonna have to do the research and see what works out for you.
    My reasons for not doing it are the following:
    MFP, for the most part, grossly overestimates calories burned from exercise. If you do decide to eat your calories back, try getting a HRM that will give you a more accurate estimate.
    There's another thread that talks about how exercising doesn't really cause you to burn that much more. I'll try to find it and link it here.

Here's the link:
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/dieting-vs-exercise-for-weight-loss/?src=me&ref=general
  • DoxieLove10612
    DoxieLove10612 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Funny site!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Those posts were very helpful. I am attempting to eat back my exercise, but my body is not used to recognize hunger so I am taking it on faith that I must be hungry when I have calories left to eat for the day.
  • mrramsey
    Options
    Thanks for all of the information folks!

I agree that eating them back is probably the right method... makes logical sense, but the "calories burned" in the DB do seem very overstated. 768 calories for a TKD class?? I would guess 400 - 450 for a very intense class.

Any recommendations on a heart rate monitor? Never used one, no nothing about them. I would need something very compact for use during Taekwondo and yoga.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I usually try to eat back at least half or at least enough to put me over 1200 whichever I can do. I just increased my calorie limit to 1400 from 1200 and now I am finally managing to eat at least 1200. According to most of the calculations I have done my BMR is more like 1600 but I need to work it up there slowly as I am trying to make sure it's healthy food and not just crap.
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    bump to read the links later:)
  • cartwoman
    Options
    You could always eat back half of the suggested exercise calories and see how that works for you :)
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat all, some or none depending on how hungry I am and how hard my workouts are.

Sometimes I banked them for the weekend when I tend to eat more. I just make sure by the end of the week my NET calories are over 1260 (Usually 1400-1500 gross calories).
  • mrramsey
    Options
    Yes that is what I was thinking as well. I did find two sites that allowed me to put a better generic snapshot together.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/target-heart-rate/SM00083/
    and
    http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html

I used the Mayo Clinics target heart rate calculator for my age and weight - this gave me a range of 125 - 151 BPM for exercise.

I then used the calories burned calculator set to my lowest target range for exercise at 125BPM - this gave me a more acceptable calorie burn for the Tae Kwon Do class at 370cals instead of the MFP estimate of 768cals.

Now that being said when I set the calorie burn calculator to the hi range @ 151BPM I get the higher 731 cals burned. Based on this I am making the assumption that the calcs used by MFP are the higher target ranges for weight and age as opposed to a median or lower target. It would be nice if there was a setting for this or atleast a field to enter your own HR into the calc.

Does anyone else find it hard to eat those calories back? I think I had 500 left yesterday but wasn't hungry at all.
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of HRM out there. Polar has been the leader for a long time. A lot of gym equipment operates seamlessly off of the Polar HRMs.