ok, i'm taking a deep breath...

Options
I'm thinking this is normal, but i'd like some feedback. I've significantly upped the intensity and duration of my workouts in the past two weeks. I had backed off my weights a bit during finals. I got back on track over the break. Then over the past just two days or so i increased my weights and reps (on a trainers advice). Here's the check, i've gained two pounds a day for the past two days! I'm assuming that it's just water, yes? since i'm increasing dramatically, isn't it true that my body holds onto the water more? or am i just in a weird spot? i'm not panicking or anything, just wondering.

thanks!
heidi

Replies

• lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yes, normal. Your muscles are, essentially, retaining water. It will go back to normal in a few day. Don't panic :smile:
  • Yellow4615
    Options
    Just keep doing what you are doing, you are on the RIGHT track! Don't listen to the scales, remember muscle weighs more than fat!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Stay off of the SCALE!!!! MEASURE, MEASURE, MEASURE!!! When I first started working out with my trainer I gained a few pounds. I was devastated. She told me to stay off of the scale and that I was losing fat and gaining muscles. My husband told me the same thing. Well I stopped getting on the scale (because my husband hid it). I thought yeah right. Three months later when it was time to meausre and weigh in I lost 23 inches, 10% body fat, and lost 0 pounds. So it is true about losing fat and gaining muscle. You just need to do what you are doing and stay off of the scale. I also went down 4 jean sizes.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Well said Ape, you rock honey.

You're doing fine, you're pounding the snot outta your bod right now and it's holding onto a gallon of water in self defense. I don't blame it, I would too.

Ignore the scale, watch the mirror, watch the tape, watch how much stronger and harder you're becoming. It's a (very!) good thing.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    What I would do is just wait about a week or two after increasing weights before I step on a scale. It can be discouraging if you weigh yourself a couple of days later instead of waiting.
  • April0815
    Options

Thanks Casper that means alot coming from you. I admire your wisdom and all your great advice that you give.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options

Thanks Casper that means alot coming from you. I admire your wisdom and all your great advice that you give.
    It is what it is boo'ful.

Kudos to your ol' man for hiding the scale. Wish I'd thought of that. :laugh:
  • April0815
    Options

It is what it is boo'ful.

Kudos to your ol' man for hiding the scale. Wish I'd thought of that. :laugh:

Not only did he hide it but he had my 10 yr old son in on it too. He does explosives offshore so he leaves for 14 days and is home 14 days. The day after he hid it he went offshore, my son looks at me and says YOU KNOW I CAN'T TELL YOU WHERE YOUR SCALE IS!!!!!!! He stuck to it. Now the scale is no longer hidden but it doesn't bother me. The only time I get on a scale is when my trainer weighs me and takes my measurements.
  • missheidi
    missheidi Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    erg. im kindof obessed with the scale and feel a bit out of control when i don't weigh everyday. i've lost almost 50 pounds and cant stand the idea of gaining any back.