Snacking on fruit

Options
Hi!

Outside the realms of calorie counting is it advisable to eat fruit as a snack during the day? I am at the moment eating 4/5ish servings of fruit a day. Banana with breakfast, and one of the following at my mid morning snack, mid afternoon snack, lunch and sometimes on my way home from gym... apple, pear or nectarine.

These all fit in my cal count but I’m wondering about the other affects i.e. blood sugar (I don’t know anything about this just saw it pop up in a wiki article) through eating this way.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

Replies

• ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Fruits make an excellent snack, as long as they keep you within your macro targets, particularly carbs. I'm trying to keep my carb and sugar levels down so I don't eat fruits.

If you want to look into blood sugar check out Harvard Medical School's data on Glycemic Index and Load. I'm a huge fan of raspberries, and as a rule of thumb most of the -berries are very low in sugar when compared to other fruits.
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi I have for breakfast 2 days a week a banana with low fat yoghurt. I usually have 4 piecs of fruit a day as well and eat them in between if I feel hungry and I have some melon for my supper.
  • cassavaca
    cassavaca Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    fruit is a better snack than many other things. I do the same...lots of fruit within the day...yes, there might be sugar in the fruit, but its natural sugar. Plus there are many other benefits from eating the fruits (like vitamins) that outweigh the sugar/carb issue.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Snacking on fruit is great as long as it fits in your calories/macros.

For instance the local board of health where I live recommend to consume at least 600 grams of fruits and vegetables a day (distributed evenly among fruits and vegetables)
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    As long as you count it, it's great. 300 calories of grapes has to be better than 300 calories of snickers, but it's still 300 calories.
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit and veg is very good for you, I personally don't worry too much about the sugar content of fruit as I don't have sugary drinks or snacks and am keeping my carbs to a minimum. If you are trying to keep your sugar even lower try carrot sticks or celery or other raw veg to snack on. I also only allow myself one glass of fruit juice a day maximum as fruit juice is high in sugar. Hope that helps xx