Permanent contacts

Options
Jdubmarie
Jdubmarie Posts: 66 Member
Has anyone on here ever had permanent contacts put in? I am not a candidate for lasik but they told me I could get permanent contacts and my daily wear contacts are super annoying so I'm really contemplating it. Just wanted some feedback. Thanks!

Replies

• ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My Aunt Beckie has them, and she doesn't have any problems with them. She had to wear hard contacts before which caused her a lot of problems. Good luck!
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Permanent contacts? I never heard of them, but they sound interesting.

I have night and day contacts that you throw away monthly and have never had any problems with them. I'm interested in getting lasik one day...
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it....
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it. I've worn contacts since I was 12. Hmm....*Off to google I go*
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it. I've worn contacts since I was 12. Hmm....*Off to google I go*

I think I will follow.......
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    What the heck are permanent contacts and why would you be a candidate for that and not lasik? What happens if your vision continues to change?
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options

Oh we have a regular follow the leader here....off to Google!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    can you get the for astigmatism? I cant even wear the night and days because of my crummy vision
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    What the heck are permanent contacts and why would you be a candidate for that and not lasik? What happens if your vision continues to change?

Your vision will always change later, especially after age 50. I can't advocate so-called "permament" solutions like this (speaking as a future eye doc).
  • culpjm90
    culpjm90 Posts: 58
    Options

right behind ya
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    YESSS!

I had ICLs put in about four months ago, after wanting surgery for fifteen years. I was severely myopic, almost legally blind, and had a slight astigmatism in one eye.

BEST thing I've ever done for myself. I went to Barnett Dulaney Perkins Eye Center, and they were amazing. Not cheap at all, but who wants to skimp when dealing with your eyesight? So worth it.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

They are collamer lenses that are implanted just under the cornea through an incision in the eye. Lasik operates by burning away layers of the cornea, reshaping the eyeball. Some people's eyesight is so bad that they would have to remove a dangerous amount of cornea thickness to achieve 20/20 vision. The only other real option is getting Implantable Collamer Lenses, or ICLs.

You vision can change, that is why is is recommended to wait until you are 25 and AND your eyes have not significantly changed in over a year. Eyes can change after lasik, too, so it's not really any more of a risk. Less so, even, because ICLs are removable, while lasik is not reversible.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    any extended wear of colntact lenses increases risk to the eye for example infection so this has to be taken into account. There are monthly lenses you can technically under the supervision of an optician wear continuously for a month, there is also something called autokeratometry where rgp lenses are used at night to temporarily change the shape of the cornea to alter the vision to be correct without lenses during the day. As has already been mentioned, once presbyopia begins setting in, correction for near vision would still be required regardless of what method was used to correct vision.

I have lenses that are suitable for extended wear but honestly, given the increase in risk I just don't see it as worthwhile so take them out nightly and also wear glasses on the occasional day to give my eyes a rest. I am a contact lens supervisor in an opticians and even having the pros on hand I decided extended wear just isn't worth the risk for the sake of saving me a few minutes putting in / taking out and cleaning my lenses :)
  • kaned_ferret
    Options
    as for implantables, I'm guessing it's similar to the process that is undertaken when a cataract op is performed, replacing the lens of the eye with one that would accomodate for vision correction.. If so, plenty of cataract patients have great success when they have their new lenses put in, but accomodation for near vision would still be required (though there are multifocal implants available to my knowledge as well)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it, but if this is something I am elgible for I would do in a heartbeat.
  • leestar89
    leestar89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hiya I used to work in a laser clinic,
    An intraocular lens (IOL) is a lens implanted in the eye used to normaly to treat cataracts but has now been linked into laser.

However reaserch is still being developed and with be at its peak in the next 1oyrs I'd say do your reaserch first.

And I'd say its best to do laser or IOL when you have a reading prescription as we all need reading glaasses at some point but if you get laser done before this you will still need reading glasses as its a diffrent part of a prescription.

hope that helps

:-)
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    any extended wear of colntact lenses increases risk to the eye for example infection so this has to be taken into account. There are monthly lenses you can technically under the supervision of an optician wear continuously for a month, there is also something called autokeratometry where rgp lenses are used at night to temporarily change the shape of the cornea to alter the vision to be correct without lenses during the day. As has already been mentioned, once presbyopia begins setting in, correction for near vision would still be required regardless of what method was used to correct vision.

I have lenses that are suitable for extended wear but honestly, given the increase in risk I just don't see it as worthwhile so take them out nightly and also wear glasses on the occasional day to give my eyes a rest. I am a contact lens supervisor in an opticians and even having the pros on hand I decided extended wear just isn't worth the risk for the sake of saving me a few minutes putting in / taking out and cleaning my lenses :)

That's not what we're really talking about. We're talking about a lens put inside the eye.

And to answer your second post: it's a second, accessory lens implanted in addition to your existing lens. Similar to cataract lens replacement, but different. :-)

Then again, I've also heard of removing the natural lens, too. Crazy stuff!
  • kaned_ferret
    Options

That's not what we're really talking about. We're talking about a lens put inside the eye.

And to answer your second post: it's a second, accessory lens implanted in addition to your existing lens. Similar to cataract lens replacement, but different. :-)

Then again, I've also heard of removing the natural lens, too. Crazy stuff!

Lol yup I got that after I re-read, but I decided that my contact lens post could still be informative so didn't worry about editing for missing the initial point ;)
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Where is the door to Google....oh wait there it is....