Gluten Free

Options
aholly70
aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
Hello, I'm trying to find people who are gf and we could support each other,exchange reciepes and where they found new items to eat,it's not easy having to eat gf.My name is Holly and I live in Wisconsin I'm a stay at home momand wife.My childrea are 24,20,15. 2 girls 1 boy. My husband is a truck driver home every other weekend at most times being a truck driver you never know,when they come home.I'v only been eating this way for about 5 weeks now,I just found out I have Celiac Disease.

Replies

• SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hi honibun.... feel free to add me I'm a wife of two 23 and 21 one of each and my hubby is a truck driver, but got lucky he is at home most every night. I cook GF for him as he is gluten sensitive.
  • christinacrisfield
    christinacrisfield Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am 33 and also gluten intolerant. After I got diagnosed and went gf the first thing that really surprised me is that I lost ten pounds. That started my weight loss. It's amazing how much that white flour can be such a "killer." I find that all of my favorites can be made gluten free. Not sure what is available in your region. I live just north of New York City. My favorite pasta is put out by Rienzi, it's made with corn, so you still get that chewy consistency that is missing in most rice pastas. I like Rudy's gf breads. Friend me if you would like some help. I was very lucky because my best friend is a Celiac so she was able to hold my hand through everything.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    Gluten & dairy free and make a lot of paleo recipes right here. I'll send you a request!
  • rf169606
    rf169606 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also have to be gluten free. At first I ate terribly because I didn't know what I COULD eat, but it gets easier! I'm still working out how to make my favorite recipes gluten free.

I've never tried Rienzi, I'll have to look it up! The only pasta substitute I've tried and really like is Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta.

I'd love some healthy recipe ideas!
  • kaajay
    kaajay Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi Hunibun,

I'm also transitioning over to a GF diet, as my fiance has Celiac. Since we both love cooking, I'm learning to substitute items so to make recipes GF. It's quite fun.

I love making Cauliflower Pizza crust. It's real easy. -- Hubby-to-be is really looking forward to trying it out (He lives in Australia, I'm here in California). And I've made a family lemon cake recipe alternative into GF form and it was success. Makes me excited because I would hate to give up the lemon cake altogether!

For some reason I found that by reducing/eliminating gluten, I'm less hungry.
  • Live_wire_ca
    Live_wire_ca Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm also Gluten intolerant. Found that i have more energy and can think clearer now that I'm gluten free. There is also a Group here in MFP called Gluten Free with about 1000 members. If you have any questions please ask.
  • aholly70
    Options
    Same here feel more energy and less hungry,i'v lost almost 10 lbs.Thank you everyone.feel free to add me.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I found out I had Celiac's two years ago. I will friend you.

At first I started buying the gf replacements and quickly stopped. Most of it tastes bad, costs too much and is loaded with sugar and fat. I do buy the gf pasta, it's not bad. I use steel cut oats in place of flour. The oats don't bother me, some people have issues though.

It's not that hard once you get used to it and you will soon realize how bad some much of the stuff you were eating before really is. Gluten is in almost all processed foods and we should be staying away from that stuff anyway.

It gets easier. You may start to feel better in ways you didn't expect too. I have chronic pain and always will due to injuries and other stuff. However I found a lot of joint pain went away. Also some of the mental fogginess did too.
  • aholly70
    Options
    I have notice i feel better,used to have lots of pain in my left leg it's gone now.i sleep better now,ther's a lot of benfits for sure.