Carb Rehab

Options
2»

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Ok, so i know my weight struggle is mainly do to my love of Carbs :(
    Does anyone have this "love" for carbs, if so how did/do you curve it?
    Also, any suggestions on low carb food?
    I was very successful on the grapefruit diet a year ago, but the second i reintroduced myself to carbs, i gained it all (plus some) back.

Thanks in advance for your support and help!

I cut my carbs from 200-300g a day down to 100g.

I LOVE carbs. I still allow myself to have *bad* foods such as ice cream, but I make them mini--klondike 100 calorie ice cream bars, magnum mini ice creams, ONE fun sized candy bar. No cereal for breakfast, I eat eggs instead. Huge salads for lunch instead of a sandwich--or I do a wrap on low carb/high fiber tortillas. I keep a stash of atkins meal replacement bars on hand for when I want something that tastes *bad*.

This past weekend I ate a TON of bad foods over about 2 days--a brownie one night, a peanut butter rice crispy treat the next day. Today I stepped on the scale and I had gained a whole 1.4lbs. So this week I am going to drink a TON of water, and hope it is gone by Friday and takes another lb or so with it.
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I was a major carb addict but after 3 days of no bread, pasta, pastry, potatoes, white rice etc AT ALL I just didn't crave it anymore. You have to go cold turkey, eats lots of meat, salad, veggies and beans/pulses.

I found that this was the only way I could break through. I was a serious bread eater. I LOVED bread. I knew it was helping to keep me fat. I finally just swore off it for a whole week. It was madness, maddening, brain-eating ARGH!!! At first. Then after a few days of no bread, it lost its grip on me. Like smoking, I guess, the first 72 hours were the worst. I can eat bread now. Just a slice here or there, or some other baked good, but I no longer have the kind of cravings I used to have. I no longer buy loaves of bread. I've done this with sugar, too. My sweet tooth still lives, but it has no power over me.
  • 30dayTae
    30dayTae Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Love your advise! Thanks for your input!!!
    Hey guys, nowhere in the OP's post does she indicate that she is trying to eliminate carbs from her diet. It's VERY likely that her diet is comprised too heavily of carbohydrates... Baked goods, etc. Trying to eat more healthy food groups (fruit, vegetables, proteins) doesn't mean she's pursuing a low-carb diet. She explained this already.

I used to be able to eat A BOX of pasta a day! And I will always be weak for cupcakes. But I have found that adequate protein really is the key to staying full enough to say "no" to a bagel or something. For me this will usually be grilled or baked chicken or fish. When you do eat grains, eat them sparingly, don't make them the focus of the meal. A small amount of rice with a stir-fry goes a long way.

I rarely eat pasta anymore and it's made a big difference for me. It has helped to make sure I eat mostly plants and animals as the main focus of my meals, and if I do eat grains it's usually rice, that's an accompaniment rather than the bulk of a meal. I do eat a fair amount of rice still :P

We still have a lot of warm weather left which means grilled meat/veggies!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    you just have to look them up, ALL fruits and ALL vegetables are NOT low carb. Broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, lettuce are low carb. Corn and Carrots are NOT. Berries tend to be lower carb than apples, apricots, peaches, bananas, etc.

If you cut down significantly on your grain intake, apples and carrots aren't going to make much of a dent in your carb intake. And really, she didn't say she's eating low-carb.

There's no good reason to cut down on eating CARROTS because of the carbohydrates they contain.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say this post inspired me to make fish and asparagus for dinner :)
  • AshleyBananas
    Options
    I try to eat smarter carbs. I've switched from white pasta and bread to whole wheat pasta and bread, and if I make french fries at home they're sweet potato fries. I have a three year old so yes, we have food like that in the house. I think it's not about deprivation it's about making it healthier and watching how much you have.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    If you get your carbs from vegetables (other than potatoes) you should be fine. It is reintroducing those white flour items that hurt...
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I did the low / no carb thing a few years ago and lost 40lbs quick, but as soon as I introduced them back the weight crept back on. I think the saying "everything in moderation" is the bast way to go. I try to not eat a ton of carbs after 3 or 4 in the afternoon but if I do eat them I make them "healthy" carbs: like sweet potatos, or whole grain pasta. Don't cut them out completely becasue you will be more likely to fall off the wagon. Good luck!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I had to quit my carb addiction cold turkey. The first two weeks were absolute hell, but it's SO much easier now. I still get my carbs from veggies (and just recently discovered raspberries weren't too bad). I also have a beer maybe twice a month, but I'm NOT giving craft beer up. My goal is 20g per day, but I don't sweat it if I go over to 25g. Extreme for now, but once I hit my goal, I'll start bumping it up again.
  • ltm12386
    Options
    Carbs are far and away my biggest problem. Growing up in my family meant eating a lot of carbs- cereal for every breakfast or pancakes, pasta at least twice a week, bread with almost every meal, lots of carrots and potatoes. I'm pretty sure neither of my parents have ever heard the term "low carb." Now as I'm getting older, I'm finding these bad food habits harder to break. Any suggestions??
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    im a low carber...and i understand your love for carbs =P

i recently found this tortilla... OLE .Xtreme Wellness Low carb high fiber tortilla...at walmart... it is 71 cals and has 17g of carbs BUT ....it has 12g of fiber..soooo it nets a total of just 5g of carbs!!! Hooray!! plus its huge so one fills me up REALLY good!

I like to toast it on a pan ( cant stand soft tortillas) and then you could wrap some cooked/roasted meat with onions and jalapenos and salsa...other veggies...it keeps you full!!
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    im a low carber...and i understand your love for carbs =P

i recently found this tortilla... OLE .Xtreme Wellness Low carb high fiber tortilla...at walmart... it is 71 cals and has 17g of carbs BUT ....it has 12g of fiber..soooo it nets a total of just 5g of carbs!!! Hooray!! plus its huge so one fills me up REALLY good!

I like to toast it on a pan ( cant stand soft tortillas) and then you could wrap some cooked/roasted meat with onions and jalapenos and salsa...other veggies...it keeps you full!!

YUM!!!! Must look for those! I try to avoid bread/tortillas of any kind, but sometimes you just want a tortilla with your fajitas! :)
  • fluffy925
    fluffy925 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    check out link for low carb food!

http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/zero-carb-foods
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    EDIT: oops. incomplete duplicate post.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have this "love" for carbs, if so how did/do you curve it?
    Also, any suggestions on low carb food?

For me, carbs and especially sugar just make me want more more! MORE!.

-It's gonna take time out of your schedule. Eating healthy means eating less processed food. That means cooking more of your meals.
    -When I do eat carbs (20% or 100-125 grams per day), I try to do most of that eating in the evening, so that the more more more cravings happen when I'm asleep.
    -Lose your fear of fat. Protein ALSO affects blood sugar chemistry, so I only eat the "recommended" amount of protein and not much more unless I'm strength training.
    -Some fats are bad for you, but some are not. I recommend coconut oil & natural fats like EVOO and some nuts and butter.
    -LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of vegetables, and USE FAT to cook them. Compare a plate of pasta with a plate of fat sauteed vegetables & for me the veggies win out every time nutritionally. .
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Been doing a lot of stress-eating and not exercising as much the past 4-6 weeks and fell far off from where I wanted to be. Gained 5 pounds, ugh!! Tonight, gave into half a hamburger with some fries and onion rings and now feel super gross!!

Ready to get back into carb rehab!!!