weights or c25k?

Options
I want to lose fat. Should I start weight lifting or couch25k ? Or both? Beginner in both.

Replies

• sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I do both....I lift 3 times a week and run 4...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    A combination of both will yeild the best fat loss, as long as you keep a calorie deficit.
  • cinemafromage
    Options
    Yup, do both! I too lift 3 days away, run the off the days. I finished C25k awhile back, but weights & C25k line up perfectly. Plus, they'll compliment each other too.
  • erindh87
    erindh87 Posts: 94
    Options
    Cardio will help you lose fat the quickest. However, building your strength/muscles will increase your overall BMR which will help you lose more in the long term. Since C25K typically is an every-other day program (at least the versions I've seen), you might want to alternate between strength and running.
  • twostepsforward
    twostepsforward Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Brill, thanks! I am fed up of getting confused with it all and not actually doing anything! I have been afraid of this steady state cardio makes you gain weight.. having said that, is c25k interval training in itself, I presume its a walk/run plan?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am doing both!
    C25k three times per week (usually Mon, Wed, Sat)
    strength training three times per week (Tu,Th, Fri)

Building muscles also helps increase your metabolism. Cardio helps to burn the fat. Doing both, plus watching your calories, protein, and fiber gives a synergistic effect. :happy:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Brill, thanks! I am fed up of getting confused with it all and not actually doing anything! I have been afraid of this steady state cardio makes you gain weight.. having said that, is c25k interval training in itself, I presume its a walk/run plan?
    Yes, I agree with doing both! And you are right, c25k starts you out with walking/running intervals, gradually increasing the running as you move through the weeks.