Just started yesterday and did very poorly.

Options
rori20
rori20 Posts: 61 Member
I'm hoping to find some friends on here that will help keep me motivated and encourage me. I have a terrible habit of letting one slip-up make me thrown in the towel for the day. Yesterday I not only threw the towel in, but dragged it back, threw it down, stomped on it, drowned it in gasoline, burned it and threw the ashes

Wish me luck in keeping myself on track this time! Oh and please be my motivational buddy if you'd like. I'd love the support. :)

Replies

• pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hang in there, rori!:flowerforyou:

Start with small changes--it will get easier as you go along.

Walking is a REALLY good way to get your exercise--AND meet people (even if its only to say "hello" along the way!:happy: )

You can do this and MFP is a great way to do it!:flowerforyou:
  • pamh5555
    pamh5555 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    We all have days like that. I just remember that tomorrow is another clean slate of the day and just get up and exercise. I love the home walking tapes. I was home sick in bed for a week and when i was feeling better. Just started all over again. that is all you can do.
  • HeatherBurke
    Options
    One slip up and then totally killing it the rest of the day makes you feel sooooo much worse than just having the one screw up and moving on from there... I did it soooo long!!! I have just recently really clicked that something has to change and only I can make that change!! Without losing any weight or inches, I feel better about myself knowing that I have the self control to say no and stick to it and MEAN it!!!! You have to really let it click in your head to do it for real!! One cheeseburger isnt going to kill you if you don't eat 3 because you have already eaten 1. It will happen!!!! YOU are your best support system and you #1 fan!!!!! OWN IT!!! LOVE IT!!!! and DO IT!!!!!! Good luck!!! If you ever wanna talk we are here!!!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Welcome to MFP

This is a great site. Take the time to get to know all the features
    Take it one day at a time
    Take baby steps
    stay open minded to new ideas
    Drink a lot of water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Look on the "Motivation and Support" message board to find a group or a challenge to join......there are a lot of great groups......read through the posts and find a group with similar goals or a similar outlook and join them.....the groups welcome new members and provide a lot of motivation and support. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Was there any specific reason why you ate something that triggered your slide downward? Were you just hungry or was it more emotional? I think that is key.

Also, I have found that when I tell myself that I can't have something, it makes it all the more tempting to eat. Moderation is the key. What I think you should do first is identify why you want that particular food. Next you really have to try and stick with writing everything down and become accountable. If you eat, say a bag of chips, count it and realize that it is just less calories you will have for the remainder of the day. One bag of chips is not an excuse to throw the entire day away. You stop at that point and get on track. If you throw one day away, it will become day after day.

This has worked for me and I struggle with food on an almost daily basis. You can do it. Changing your eating habits (I don't believe in diets) takes work and won't happen overnight.

Good luck.
  • breezy81
    breezy81 Posts: 186
    Options
    I used to do that, now I say ok, I screwed up but I guess that will mean an extra mile on the treadmill tonight and I do it and move on, last time my hubby went to Mcd's I wanted a cheesburger and fries so bad, so I had them and then hit the readmill for my second 3 mile run that day. Didnt kill me. Remember treats are ok, but not everyday not all day!!!!
  • rori20
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for the support. As for why I went nuts, I went shopping at the local Korean/Japanese market and found a treat there that I hadn't eaten in over three years. Those yummy steamed buns....they were so hot and fresh and I.....I ate three. Then I got down on myself and ate too much at dinner, plus snacked on chips and other badness. Terrible of me! It's one of my biggest challenges in losing weight.

I'm determined that today will be different, though. I got up early with my husband, will make the Weight Watchers Zero Points Soup, have fruit and veggies for breakfast, and soup for lunch. I'll maybe do Pilates and/or Dance Dance Revolution today and then I will have a sensible, portion controlled dinner. I can do it. Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.
  • JeninNT
    JeninNT Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ... and don't forget to buy more towels! :)
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    Try not to go too low on calories either, that is what will send me into a feeding frenzy, or as you put it "towel burning" too! Took me a while to figure out that starving is not going to lead to long time weight loss.

Welcome! Hope to see you around the forum:smile:
  • tilequeen
    Options
    I saw on the today show that a women did dance/dance revolution lost 60some pounds in 6 months. So sounds like a plan. I'm going to start doing the Wii fit. Good luck, I'm trying to lose about 30 pounds.
  • rori20
    Options
    Hehe. Towels have been replenished as of this morning. :)

I also want to mention how grateful I am for the "If you keep eating at this rate you'll gain/lose #lbs in 5 weeks. When I saw that, eating like I did yesterday, I would gain twelve lbs in 5 weeks I almost cried. I've been on that spiral for months now and it has to stop. That REALLY motivated me. I know everyone says it all the time but I mean it when I say I love this site.
  • rori20
    Options
    I was tempted, JustAmy, to eat nothing but Zero Points soup for three days but that's silly. I would do as you said and just go into a feeding frenzy. It's best that I stick with healthy light things for breakfast and lunch and enjoy a more substantial dinner with the hubby. I feel I'll do best that way.

tilequeen: DDR is FANTASTIC. When I'm into the swing of things that game is just a blast to play, easy to drag out on ugly days when I can't exercise outside, and I can burn quite a lot of calories (when I was in better cardiovascular condition I could burn up to 1000 calories an hour.)
  • Belle84
    Belle84 Posts: 36
    Options
    chin up chick every time i start again for all the best intentionas in the world i mess up! lol x :flowerforyou: keep smiling x
  • amwood83
    Options
    We can do this. I had fried chicken, baked beans, and potato salad and that was 1060 cals!!!!!!!!!!! For DINNER!!!!!!!!! But today is a new one. Our bodies amazingly clean out a lot of that junk when we sleep. Let's do this!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You should figure out how many calories you ended up consuming yesterday. Another thing to keep yourself on track, is when you do partake in something you think is bad, write it down. You may feel guilty, but you may end up stopping yourself from a downward spiral. Being accountable for what you put into your mouth is key. If you see the number in front of you, it could help.

If you are tempted by having one of the buns, just have one. I know having one is hard, but if you try to eliminate it completely, you are more tempted to eat 3. Also, how many calories was one bun? I am sure you could find that out somewhere. You could figure that into your daily calories when you visit the store again.

One last thing, if you are tempted to eat bad things, try to stop yourself first and ask "is it really worth it?" "Will it make me feel better to have this?" Generally the answer is no because you end up beating yourself up over it.

You have to take it one step at a time and try not to throw the whole day away over some chips or a bun. Salvage the rest of the day by eating the zero point soup and other low calorie options.
  • llimrite
    Options
    Just take one day at a time. Also, don't set goals that seem too out of reach. Set smaller, realistic goals. Then when you achieve them easily set harder goals. Remember the weight didn't go on over night and it won't come off overnight.
  • eafrancis10
    Options
    Hey if this guy can do it! So can you....If you find yourself over points, just do some dancing or go for a walk!!! Its a quick fix!
  • jas1957
    jas1957 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!! Each day is a new beginning. If we all help with encouragement we can do this!! Keep on keeping on & you will succeed.:wink:
  • rori20
    Options
    Thanks again for all the positivity and motivation. Today I woke up early with my husband, was active around the house, ate very sensibly (including snacks), and then had the zero points soup for dinner. Here it is the end of the day and I'm still 226 calories under my recommended intake. I'll grab a piece of fruit to get closer to that number and keep my metabolism high. Hubby and I plan on walking to the store for something soon, so there will be my activity for the day. I'm back in this and I'm not coming out without a fight.
  • chayvon38
    Options
    Hi Friend, I hear ya! I know what cha mean about the burning and stomping. haha.
    Well, I have been gaining the last two weeks. I remind myself that one, two, three and even more days
    are going to be rough. I think relistically I will not see any real progress for another two weeks?
    It is hard to imagine gaining any more weight I know that my body will catch up soon. I am satisfied with my 1500 calorie food choices and I feel really good. My spirits are up...unbelievable, so hang in there gurlfriend! We are going to lose this weight
    one minute at a time...haha. I joined TOPS( meetings are on Wednesdays on my lunch break.) The ladies are a great support. One of them gals said " It will BE, includes me." I thought about it for awhile and it seems to help me feel ready to keep
    working on the rough moments with a sense of "Yes, I can!" I will do it! You can too!!