Plantar Fasciitis

Options
I have plantar fasciitis in both feet since March. I have supportive shoes and do stretches using a hand towel to pull the ball of my foot back as directed by my doc. He also said no running on cement and they will "work themselves out." Anything else I can do? I do NOT want to have to get shots in my feet...my Dr. said it's really painful and made his toes curl just thinking about it.

Replies

• junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Downward facing dog.... cured mine.... there are modifications to it if you can't do the full pose
  • AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    OH IT IS VERY PAINFUL... I know this from experience.... so you do not want to have that done. I do most of my workouts at the gym indoors. Much better on my feet.
  • Julieandpaloma
    Julieandpaloma Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing - I bought some nike air max shoes - and inserts - which help. I also switched to elliptical instead of the treadmill which was killing my shins and feet. Also soak your feet. Mine have gotten a lot better. I just make sure I always wear shows and not sandals.....or barefoot at home. hang in there - it gets better
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Good timing -

I posted a thread about heel spurs here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/696536-heel-spurs earlier and a bunch of folks chimed in about plantar fascitis even though it's not my particular ailment.

The only other thing I can see that you're not doing is to freeze water in a plastic bottle and roll your heels over it from time to time - sort of a ice massage?

Good luck :-/
  • HealthyIrishLass
    HealthyIrishLass Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Go see a GOOD Massage Therapist and have them work on your lower legs. Those muscles connect down under the arch of your foot like a stirrup. Working on them helps quite a bit, at least it did for me. =) Good Luck.
  • fluffyfeathers
    fluffyfeathers Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Had this in both feet and the injections were the only thing that helped....my podiatrist said the old way of injections was more painful than how they are done today with newer doctors.....it should be inserted from the sides of the foot or inner area of foot to reduce the pain factor ALOT!!!!!:cry: ALSO GET A PAIR OF INSERTS FOR YOUR SHOES MADE CUSTOM AT THE DOCTORS OFFICE
  • Apocalypse_Meow
    Apocalypse_Meow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Fill a 20 oz water or pepsi bottle with water and freeze it then roll it around with the soles of your feet. You can do the same thing with a tenniss ball.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i have this. i had custom orthodics, cushony heeled shoes, and a stretched and got the shots. i did the rolling the feet on golf balls. nothing helped.

until i started exercising, stretching regularly, and i got minimus shoes. the minimus shoes were the best thing i could've done for myself. i don't even remember what my feet felt like when i was in pain.

minimus is a term for low heel shoes, that mimic barefoot running. i have two pairs.

http://www.newbalance.com/Minimus-10-Trail/WT10,default,pd.html?dwvar_WT10_color=Turquoise_with_Black&start=9&q=minimus&cgid=201200

Thats the pair i have primarily for lifting, but i've been known to hike and do some runs in them.

word of caution: it can take some time to get used to them, more on your calves then your feet. so go slow, only running a mile or two with them at first.
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've found that deep massage works wonders. It still hurts, but the pain is different, more dull, and does go away once I'm moving. I used the legs of my office chair and would put a LOT of pressure where it hurt, many times per day. It only took a week or so before I saw a drastic improvement.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    I have plantar fasciitis in both feet since March. I have supportive shoes and do stretches using a hand towel to pull the ball of my foot back as directed by my doc. He also said no running on cement and they will "work themselves out." Anything else I can do? I do NOT want to have to get shots in my feet...my Dr. said it's really painful and made his toes curl just thinking about it.

iv had the shots and they are not that bad depends on your pain threshhold but i put supports in my shoe and they are now just fine . takes a few months
  • mocha106
    mocha106 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I remember the pain. I started cycling when I had plantar fasciitis because everything else caused pain. I had the injections and did a lot of stretching. I was also fitted for proper running shoes to avoid any issues in the future.
  • boogerboss
    Options
    Look up how to tape the arch of your foot. I have been taping my right foot since march and it has helped tremendously. I don't have the patience for indoor machines so I run outside to get in my cardio.

Oh and good shoes with high arch supports helps. You want to support your arch as much as possible
  • susjan
    susjan Posts: 105
    Options
    I used to have issues with my achilles and went to the Orthopedic Surgeon and everything. He sent me to physical therapy and the therapist was SHOCKED that I hadn't ruptured the tendon since the pain was so severe and had been going on so long. I found that stretching really does work (I didn't buy into it for awhile) and wearing shoes with a slight heel made my foot feel better during the day.

I also bought: http://www.thesock.com/

It looks TOTALLY goofy but it really helped when the pain was at it's worse and can be used to help the plantar fascitis. I tried it on in my running store but ended up ordering it online. There are other variations on Amazon.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    until i started exercising, stretching regularly, and i got minimus shoes. the minimus shoes were the best thing i could've done for myself. i don't even remember what my feet felt like when i was in pain.

This is the opposite of what I'm being recommended elsewhere - to get RID of my vibrams because they're causing undue strain, whereas additional support would relieve it.

Diversity abounds.
  • YoungGma29
    Options
    Heel spurs and plantar facitis are the same thing. I had that for a very long time. You have been given good advice by others. I got ONE shot and swore NEVER to do that again! LOTS of stretching, wear tennis shoes all the time. No going barefoot - even at home. Ice the feet for 20 min 3 times a day. Do NOT use a treadmill. I even tried the boot for when I sleep. All cured now and when I feel it starting to flare up, I go back to doing all these things.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Fill a 20 oz water or pepsi bottle with water and freeze it then roll it around with the soles of your feet. You can do the same thing with a tenniss ball.

^^ This! It helps so much!
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Never, and I mean never, go barefoot. I wear Birkenstock shoes. They have a great design for arch support and a unique heel cup that supports your foot. I have Birkestock sandals that I wear inside my house at all times, even when I get up to go to the restroom at night. I have had the condition for 15 years now. No surgery or shots. Just manage it with proper footwear and stretching.
  • YoungGma29
    Options
    Some people don't need arch support and it makes the problem worse.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Heel spurs and plantar facitis are the same thing.

No they are not

Heel spurs are the calcification of the area where the plantar fascia tendon inserts into the heel. they are often related but are not the same thing.

try this

http://www.thesock.com/
  • lsanders2
    lsanders2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been going to therapy for the same thing and finally got relief after trying everything myself. Make sure the stretches you are doing are done in 30 second increments and that you are doing them three times a day. I also use a golf ball and roll it under my foot for thirty seconds, that helps move the scar tissue away. Ice therapy is good as well. If you are able to go to therapy it would really help you get relief, they had also taped my feet for the weekend because I was starting to walk inward and flatten my arch. I was suprised how how much going to therapy a couple times of week helped me get back to where I needed to be, now I can keep up myself so I'm not in pain like that again.