Couch to 5K Questions

Options
Hi all - I am (sort of) new here!

After doing a bit of reading I just started the Couch to 5K program this morning.

I have never been a runner, though I was pretty active when I was younger, playing tennis and basketball. I have slacked in the past few years and packed on the pounds. I have about 30-40 pounds I'd like to lose to be at my ideal weight. Diets never seem to work - I guess I just have to exercise religiously to keep it off.

About the C25K program - I am for now working out on my treadmill, since it is very hot and humid where I am at this point in the year and I like the privacy of working out in my home. I completed my first day today doing the 60 second runs at 5mph and the 90 second walks alternating between 3.5 and 4mph.

My question is about the 3-day per week plan. Is there a reason for only working on it 3 days besides just getting your muscles used to working? I do a lot of brisk walking with my dog for about 1.5 to 2 miles on most days. Is there any other disadvantage to upping this program to something like a 5-day per week plan?

Also - is there a pace that is too fast for this kind of program? I know the point is that you are not pushing yourself too hard too fast, but today's 5mph runs felt not too bad, so I think I might try a 5.5 next time. I know these are still somewhat slow jogs, but I am just starting to run.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Replies

• nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I imagine the reason they work it only three days is to give your body time to recover after your runs. If you feel fit then try upping the training schedule. Worst case you cant complete and you have to re run.

If you can complete the runs at the pace you are running then you are either running too slow or you are running the correct pace. You know how hard you can push yourself.
  • SanyamKaushik
    SanyamKaushik Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    No, just do it at your pace.. fast or slow..
    However, dont give a long break in between. That will take you back by atleast a week...

All the best!!!
  • Lazytoad2001
    Lazytoad2001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi

The 3 days is to ensure your body gets the rest it needs to strengthen and repair your muscles. Please dont overdo it too much too soon and end up injured. In terms of speed you need to go at whatever is comfortable for you, dont worry at this point about going fast its about getting the time under your belt. Speaking from experience you can go faster at the early stages however as you progress to later weeks getting the running time done say 20 mins becomes more difficult if your fitting against yourself wanting to go fast too.

Its a great programme that really works, dont be frightened to rest, repeat weeks if needs be and enjoy it.

K x
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i stick to doing my c25k workouts every other day. for me, it seems like i end up with a lot of knee pain if i try to do it more often than that. so i stick to every other day, and do other exercises on my non-running days. best of luck to you!!
  • mommamisty823
    Options
    Hi

The 3 days is to ensure your body gets the rest it needs to strengthen and repair your muscles. Please dont overdo it too much too soon and end up injured. In terms of speed you need to go at whatever is comfortable for you, dont worry at this point about going fast its about getting the time under your belt. Speaking from experience you can go faster at the early stages however as you progress to later weeks getting the running time done say 20 mins becomes more difficult if your fitting against yourself wanting to go fast too.

Its a great programme that really works, dont be frightened to rest, repeat weeks if needs be and enjoy it.

K x

couldn't agree more. I'm on week 4 (and was never a runne eitherr) I run outside because I don't have the money (or space) for a tredmil and have yet to reach a 5mph pace (according to the C25K app). But I still get a good work out. Just go at your own pace.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Several things here. The main reason for the three days per week plan is to get your body used to the work. While you may walk a lot there's a lot more stress being put on your legs when you run than when you walk. It's not entirely a matter of muscle fitness (though that is part of it), it's also about strengthening joints, tendons, stabilizer muscles, and connective tissue. Remember that running is essentially a series of short jumps. One of the defining characteristics of running vs. walking is that when you run there is a point in your stride where your entire body is off the ground. This means that every foot strike is a landing with your entire body weight behind it. This is not the case when you walk, one foot is always on the ground and supporting some of your weight.

Runners who try to run too many days too soon wind up with fun injuries that make them have to stop running for for a few days, a few weeks, or even a few months. You can however cross train on "off" days. Swimming, biking, elliptical machines, weights, even walking are all fine cross training for runners that won't create impacts. Once you've been going for a while you can add days, I run 5-6 days a week, some people run everyday.

Adding speed is probably fine, to my knowledge there's no "set" speed you're supposed to run C25K at. Adding speed also creates more stress, but you're not going so fast or adding so much that I would think it's a problem. That said, if you're not already doing so, I'd recommend upping your incline to 1% or 2% before you try adding speed. Running on the treadmill is different from running on the road or the track, the treadmill does some of the work for you. A slight incline helps to overcome that gap. It's still not as good as training outside, but it's closer. If you plan to run a 5K race as part of your training, you definitely want to get some "outside" sessions in before your date.
  • Bean615
    Bean615 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i think the reason for the 3 days is to give your body a rest. i know when i started the program i had really ban shin splints, but eventually they went away. if you feel like you can up ur speed, or skip a step then go ahead and do it. just listen to your body.
  • MRJ717
    MRJ717 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi! i also am used to walking my dog everyday for atleast an hour and we hike fairly often too. i started the c25k program a few weeks ago. since i am used to being active i actually run everyday and change the level every 3 days. this has been a good pace for me and hasnt caused any problems. im not saying that it wouldnt cause you or anyone else harm tho. just listen to your body and follow what it needs. good luck!
  • newtopa
    newtopa Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your quick responses! I am really looking forward to this - hoping it will finally be the thing to get me moving for good. Now if I could just stop all my snacking and bad food choices, I'd be great
  • Tinkerbell1010
    Tinkerbell1010 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I attemped to begin jogging my about 2 weeks ago but feel i havent gotten very far with running endurance. Just downloaded couch to 5k on my phone and will begin Thursday
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    Bump.

Anyone else doing this progam? I plan on starting Sunday.
  • jeschauvin
    Options
    I starting using this program a few weeks ago. Currently on week 4 after doing week 3 twice. I do it 6 days a week and just overwrite the old data. I don't progress to a new week until I feel comfortable enough in the week I'm working on. Working pretty well now. So long as you're progressing at your own pace and listening to your body and stretching before and after I don't see any harm in doing it more than three days a week. Not an expert though, just my two cents.
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I am on week 3 of couch to 5k and on the rest days I swim, strength train, bike, or do Pilates. I did do an extra run once, but that was just because I didn't feel too great about the last day of that week's runs.
  • kitkattwentyfour
    Options
    I assume it is 6.0 miles per hour. Look ahead to the last week and do the math:
    3 miles in 30 minutes
    10 minute miles
    Right?
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I assume it is 6.0 miles per hour. Look ahead to the last week and do the math:
    3 miles in 30 minutes
    10 minute miles
    Right?

The program name is more marketing than fact. It should be the "Couch to Running 30 Minutes Straight" program. It's pretty unlikely that a new runner can maintain 10 minute miles for thirty minutes after just a couple of months. Don't worry about speed, go as slow as you need to for finishing the intervals without being completely out of breath.