Eating before or After a workout?

Options
xYumzx
xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
Just curious...

How long before or how long after the workout, do you eat? I know I can't eat right after a workout because I have no appetite at all, but an hour or 2 later im starving!(thats when I wanna eat everything, which isnt good) && if I eat before I workout I feel like im gonna toss up my meal..(sorry that was gross lol)... Im just curious if there is a time frame I should stay in?

Thanks
Colleen

Replies

• BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    at least 2 hrs before ,and should consist of carbs to burn for the workout you want to be somewhat digested
    and 1-2 hrs after this should be a nice protien meal for muscle repair
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    lately i've been waking up pretty early to work out, so i don't really eat. i'll wake up at 5:30am and be working out by 630. i have two cups of coffee, a banana, a tablespoon or two of peanut butter, and some water, and then i'm out the door.

afterwards i like to have a protein fruit smoothie within an hour or so of getting home. this prevents me from being starving and in an EAT ALL THE THINGS kind of mood two hours later.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I make sure I have a snack 2-3 hours before a workout. I keep it light but enough so I'm not empty - a piece of whole wheat toast with PB and a piece of fruit is often my go to before a workout. After the workout, I always have my protein shake about an hour afterwards. I'm not hungry but I drink the shake slowly and it helps so I don't get starving and binge later. I don't wait until I get hungry because I know then I'll overeat.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    After my shower and after I'm a little rested (usually 30-45 min after working out), I eat an egg sandwich on flatbread with mushrooms or avocado. This meal keeps me full and I won't eat the rest of the evening (I work out usually around 8pm).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For me, I usually wait about an hour after eating before I workout.

On the weeknights, I am not usually hungry afterwards. I usually workout about an hour or so after dinner. On the weekend, though, I tend to workout in the later mornings, about an hour after breakfast, so I always make myself a yogurt smoothie with some hemp protein powder and glutamine, and lots of fruit.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat before a workout. As for after... I try to have a protein shake immediately after. Even though I'm not hungry (and I don't subscribe to the whole protein within 60 minutes of working out thing), it does absolutely help control my cravings.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out what works for YOU. Everybody reacts to food differently.

This is what I do on the days I work out:

5:30-6am-wake up

615-drink 1-2 glasses of water, eat a piece of fruit or hard boiled eggs

6:30-make myself a big thing of water, fresh squeezed orange juice, fresh lemon juice, 1/4 tsp. salt (to drink during and after workout)

7:15-Workout, keep drinking water about ever 15 minutes or so, small sips

8:15-drink a protein shake

9:00-eat breakfast-usually something with eggs, cheese, flatbread

That's what works for me. I just recently started doing high intensity workouts and the first day I didn't eat beforehand, I was sick the next 2 days. Since I started eating like this I've felt MUCH better.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I eat lunch around 1230 and work out around 230 and have a smoothie afterwards. I now know I don't have to have a smoothie afterwards, but i am hungry, and my strawberry banana smoothies are delicious. I did go from 2 scoops of whey down to 1 and replaced the second scoop with meat...
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I only eat a small snack before my workout. Something like a handful of trailmix or granola bar. I have an energy drink or water immediately after. Take a shower and then I eat a meal. That seems to work fine for me
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 1 hour before, and within 30 mins after. Then I eat within 2 hours (again) after the 30 mins.
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I usually eat after my workout because I do it first thing in the morning, (5am) so I usually eat when I get to work at 7am.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of this week, I could only workout around noon hour.. I ate breakfast then 3 hrs later, I worked out. After my workout, always within 30-45 mins I have a protein smoothie.

Today was different:

I woke up at 8, worked out, had a high cal, high protein yogurt smoothie afterwards.

Here's some more info to explain why morning may be best sensible time for fat burning: http://www.lose-weight-with-us.com/best-time-to-exercise.html

No matter what time you exercise, make sure you get up and moving! :)